mtbr member

Nuvi for Mountain Biking???

I was thinking about getting a GPS for my mountain bike to show speed, distance, etc; as well as providing direction on the trails. I figured maybe I could get something that could provide duel purpose. I was thinking of a base nuvi, being the 200, and adding a Topo map. Does anyone know what kind of useful info the Topo map can provide on a nuvi as far as mountain biking. Or would this just be a mistake, given that its not necessarily built to withstand any elements. I could always go with a handheld with expandable memory, but then adding a city map to that starts to make it more pricey.
    TIA

EDR
    Can you add maps to the Nuvi? Better be sure about that.

You could give it a try on a bike but I can't imagine it will withstand any sort of direct blow if you should go down. I'm certain its not water resistant at all. Handheld units are almost always water resistant. Heck, a few weeks back I took my 60csx with me through a mile of water crossings in a canyon that you MUST swim through, never even worried about my gps.

All that and no practical way to mount it to your bars. (at least I don't think so)

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure you can add maps. And there is a bike mount out for the Nuvi 200. But I'm not sure how worth it it would be given that it seems more fragile than a handheld. I thought the Legend CX could be a good value given that it is now discontinued, but it lacks WAAS, which makes me wonder if it would even be useful in any sort of tree cover or near tall buildings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A Nuvi is not at all intended for biking. I have a Nuvi for the car and a Garmin Edge for the Bike. The Edge is intended for the bike. Before I picked up the Edge I used a GPSMap 60CSx tucked into a pocket in my camelback (sp). That worked GREAT!!! I have City Nav North America and US Topo maps on it. I would always upload my tracks into Mapsource and Google Earth on the PC and also upload to Bobcat and Google Earth on my Mac. I just recently got into Road biking so I picked up an Edge 705. I added City Nav North America maps to it and have been using on the road and on the trails. For that I have been using several different applications on both the MAC and the PC. It is quite good. The Nuvi in NO WAY should be used on a bike. Yes it has a nice big screen when compared to the other 2, but it should be used in a car. It just isn't built for the bike. There are other options for the bike besides the GPSMap60CSx or Edge series. There is the etrex series as well. You should check out Garmin's site.
    Kevin
    Last edited by kevindef; 07-24-2008 at 06:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have to agree, the Nuvi is not the GPS you want on a mountain bike unless you never ride off the road. I have not personally seen the bike mount but from the Garmin web site it looks like the car mount. If that is the case I do not believe it would stand up to the rigors of riding off road; it may be ok for cruising around town though.

Buying a handheld and then adding City Navigator will not be much more then getting a Nuvi and adding Topo. This all assumes that you are looking at the 200 series. Besides, the Nuvi 200 series does not fit your original criteria of wanting something that shows speed, distance and it is will not download the information. If you are looking for something for mountain biking and driving I would look at a Legend HCx or a Vista HCx, which can both be found for just a bit more then the Nuvi.

mtbr member
    Yeah. The more I've thought about it, I have to agree. It was really just a thought. Right now I'm leaning towards something basic, I like the capabilities of the Legend and Vista; as well as the potential for memory expansion. But I think for my purposes, something like the Venture HC will suffice; were it to have expandable memory, it would probably be perfect. Basically, something that I can re-trace my path were I to get lost. Though it would have been nice to have the potential to expand its capabilities.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The price difference between the Venture HC and the Legend HCx is not that much, especially when you look at the capabilities. The Venture has 24 MB of internal memory and is not expandable so adding Topo maps would be ok but you would be very limited on the number of road maps you could use, provided you use Garmin maps. More important though, the Venture does not have auto-routing capabilities which was one reason you were looking at the Nuvi.

mtbr member
    I hear ya. I originally toyed with the idea of the 200 b/c it could be had relatively cheaply. And I figured if I was going to spend the money, I wondered what my options would be for it have additional functions. Ideally, I would just get a Legend or Vista. But then it comes to about $200 for the cheaper of the two (I think the Venture HC runs about $115). On top of that, I believe city maps are $80 or so. Then it starts to add up and makes less sense; I guess. I probably dont need the city map right now, even though I commute. So its more a matter of thinking to the future. Which I'm not sure if its worthwhile fronting the additional cost now, given my uncertainty and indecision. It would be really cool to have it when I go visit larger cities and plan to walk alot. And my wife does have a stand alone street GPS, that we use for trips; but its a little more cumbersome to carry around with us if we tour a city.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you are looking for something to carry around with you while walking or riding your bike, and you don't need auto-routing then the Venture HC would be a good choice. A couple of guys over at Geocaching.com have developed Garmin compatible street maps (and some topo maps) which they have made available for free. The do not auto-route but do provide a current road map of what ever area you need. Check out the GPS and Technology Forum at http://www.geocaching.com. You will need to sign in but it is free and there is a lot of great information about GPSs in this forum They also have a garage sale forum right below that where you can get some deals on GPSs. I think there is a Venture HC for sale there right now, (the seller only has one post and 4 finds so buyer beware). Anyway, just something to look at for more info.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I really appreciate the info. If I could get maps with street data, that would probably perfect as far as making my way around a larger city on foot. I guess for any driving turn-by-turn directions, I'm probably better off with my wife's GPS anyway. Thanks again!!!

mtbr member
    Oh, and any ideas if these maps would fit in the 24MB of the Venture? Is it a difficult process to transfer the maps?