Thread: Noob Question

mtbr member

Noob Question

I would love to have a map of my area for it to show a illuminated path of where I am riding via GPS tracking.

Is there a device that can do this for me which doesn't cost the same price as my iPhone did.

It's not something I must have, but if I can have it for a viable price that would be great.

It would save me the trouble of taking my backpack off every time I want to check my location, every 30 minutes.
    It would also make it much easier to learn the new areas I'm riding.

I haven't physically seen a GPS unit for biking or hiking.
    But I'm looking for something like that (I think) and I could use your advice in what direction to look.

Basically I ride in a lot of areas that are new to me and it's not always easy to find my way back to my car.
    So I start the "tracking" apps and stuff my iPhone into my backpack where it's very safe.
    I currently use my iPhone using Alltrails or scout or Google maps.

I can't afford to strap my iPhone to my handle bars as I'm sure it would be destroyed in no time.

mtbr member
    Refurbished Edge 605 for around $200 is my best guess. I assume that you would want to see where you are while riding, which cuts out the edge 200 and 500. The 800 is about the same cost as the iPhone. Another option might be a etrex or dakota, but those would be much bulkier on your bars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Try one of these

www dot indepthcases dot com dot au/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by McBain01 View Post
    Try one of these

www dot indepthcases dot com dot au/
    Nope, sorry.
    I have already seen my iphone break on relatively short falls while in cases that are mil spec tough.
    There's no way I'm putting it on my bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenLight View Post
    Refurbished Edge 605 for around $200 is my best guess.
    That does look nice!
    Do I have to buy the map packs for detailed zoom in maps?

I ride a lot of very tight turn and switch back trails, will it track accurately enough?

The eTrex 30 looks cool too but I read it only updates every 5 secs, that might be an issue on my windy trails. Does anyone have this experience?

I'm not interested in whatever geocoaching is fyi.
    Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 08-24-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    That does look nice!
    Do I have to buy the map packs for detailed zoom in maps?

I ride a lot of very tight turn and switch back trails, will it track accurately enough?

The eTrex 30 looks cool too but I read it only updates every 5 secs, that might be an issue on my windy trails. Does anyone have this experience?

I'm not interested in whatever geocoaching is fyi.
    Read the stickie at the top of this board. You need to learn a lot of background before you can understand what you are looking at.

The vast majority of dedicated GPS receivers can have their recording frequency changed anywhere from 1 per sec and slower. One popular one that cannot is the Edge 200.

Read the basics before you worry about where to get maps and what to do with them. A real GPS works differently than your phone app and it assumes you understand basic land navigation concepts like reading a topo map, coordinate systems, map datum, declination, etc. if you don't understand those things then you meed to go to square one.

A book called "Be Expert with Map and Compass" by Bjorn Kjellstrom is very good for picking up those concepts. Many provide a foundation for and apply directly to understanding how to actually use the GPS and understand what it is telling you.

mtbr member
    No free lunch for me! lmao
    I know what your saying Nate.
    I started to read the sticky but my brain started to freeze on the first paragraph. lol
    I appreciate all the detail but will have to take some time to concentrate on it.
    For now I will keep using my ipone app, until I am sure what to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    No free lunch for me! lmao
    I know what your saying Nate.
    I started to read the sticky but my brain started to freeze on the first paragraph. lol
    I appreciate all the detail but will have to take some time to concentrate on it.
    For now I will keep using my ipone app, until I am sure what to buy.
    Take your time.

You have a start with what you want out of the device: help with wayfinding. You just need to figure out what else you want or don't want/care for it to do so you can narrow down the product choices because there are a lot of models out there that can provide you the help you want there and some of those choices come down to simple preference.

But it is also important to understand exactly how those models will help you because it can be easy to develop unrealistic expectations when you are unfamiliar.

And nothing sucks more to spend hundreds on the top of the line gadget only to learn that it doesn't do what you really want and expect it to do.