Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Yikes! I think I am about to pull the trigger on an edge 200.

if I will, I'd suggest something a little better than the Edge 200. The "auto" sampling intervals it uses might be fine for more straight and wide open trails with few sharp turns, but that sort of sampling interval is not good enough for twisty, dense trail systems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    if I will, I'd suggest something a little better than the Edge 200. The "auto" sampling intervals it uses might be fine for more straight and wide open trails with few sharp turns, but that sort of sampling interval is not good enough for twisty, dense trail systems.
    Ugh...This sucks. The single track I ride has a ton of switchbacks that winds back and forth almost on top of each other. I really only have $150 right now to spend. Hmm...Any other options besides saving for the 500. Even with the 500 I would need the cadence attachment to be accurate?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: Noob to GPS - looking to buy

You can get the 500 new on eBay for $209 shipped.

Not sure about your other question.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Also, gave you looked into the forerunner 210xt gps watch? Same features as 500 sans the barometer.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Ugh...This sucks. The single track I ride has a ton of switchbacks that winds back and forth almost on top of each other. I really only have $150 right now to spend. Hmm...Any other options besides saving for the 500. Even with the 500 I would need the cadence attachment to be accurate?
    The Edge 500 got a firmware update to enable 1sec recording without the speed/cad sensor. The only accuracy improvement that sensor will give is better speed/distance readouts on the unit's display. When you load your track onto the computer, most websites ignore the readings from that extra sensor (at least the speed/dist readings) and calculate them based on the GPS points, which are not affected by having a speed/cad sensor. I don't know if Garmin Connect ignores those readings, also, or not. Most websites are not the most forward about how they do things behind the scenes.

You could also look for an Edge 305, which is well regarded even still. Maybe an Edge 705, also. And keep your eyes peeled on the used market (classifieds, mostly...ebay prices tend to be higher). You may find a used Edge 500 or 800 for a good price since some users of that model (and others for that matter) since the new Edge 510's and 810's are coming out with new features that some folks want. You can also look at some of the Forerunners as mentioned earlier. I have a Forerunner 205 I think I got for about $120 new, and thinking about upgrading to a 305 or maybe a 410. Just look around. The Forerunners can be mounted on your handlebars, too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.

I can an Edge 500 for $180 shipped on Wiggle with a coupon. Are there any issues with ordering the GPS from Europe. Sorry I am a GPS noob.

not that I know of...it would matter for a car GPS that is loaded with maps (one from europe would have maps of european roads of course) but AFAIK, no such localization occurs with a fitness model like the Edge 500 that does not come with maps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I'm glad you gave us some info about the gsc10. Sounds like it would be more beneficial to use it with the roadie for training purposes and monitoring cadence.

mtbr member
    Edge 500 on it's way. Will get the chest strap later after I lay low with the wife for a bit. :-)

Thanks for the help. I wouldn't have been happy with the 200.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Edge 500 on it's way. Will get the chest strap later after I lay low with the wife for a bit. :-)

:beer:

Super stoked abbout mine too! Can't wait to use it.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Don't thing you have to go with the Garmin HR monitor either. Any ANT+ HR monitor will work. Timex, Wahoo, Motorola, Bontrager, all make ANT HR monitors that work.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: Noob to GPS - looking to buy

Forerunner 410 has a lot of extra features over the 210 and is currently the same price on Amazon.

I've had the 410 for 6 months now. The touch bezel takes a little bit of getting use to but is ok after a while. I wanted a watch as I run as well as ride.

Sometimes it takes a few minutes to detect the hr monitor which is annoying, but that might be due to my hairy chest
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2