Newbie needs Vista HcX help
Just purchased a Vista HcX for an upcoming trip to Fruita, Moab, and the like, but am clueless how to even do basic functions like uploading to Mapsource and downloading gpx files, etc.
Here are my questions:
1. I have figured out how to save track files on my GPS unit, and would like to upload them to MapSource. I've loaded Mapsource on my PC, but am not sure whether the GPS will automatically "sync" with MapSource when it's plugged in, or if I need to do something else.
2. I downloaded a CO topo map from miscjunk.com to Mapsource.... how do I get this map to show up on the Garmin?
3. Where is the easiest place to save gpx files that I download in order to transfer them to my GPS?
Sorry for the beginner questions, but really have no clue here - thanks in advance!
I just came in from a full day of traveling so bear with me on this as I try to answer your questions:
1. Open Mapsource, then connect your plug to the GPS, then the computer and finally turn on the GPS. The computer should then recognize the GPS.
2. To get the topo map loaded you will need to open Mapsource, then select the map tool and click on the map segments you want to upload. You need to select all the maps at oncenbecause you cannot just add maps to the current mapset on the GPS, each time you upload maps it erases the previous mapset.
3. I created a "My Garmin" folder in My Documents and save all my tracks there.
Let me know if you have further question and I will try to answer them when I ma more awake.
I have the Legend HC which is a similar unit (I think). I finally gave up on the mapsource software as it would never recognize the GPS. I now save the track to the data card (which I can get the PC to recognize) and then upload to Motionbased.com. So far that has worked really well.