Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    253

    Newb Q - Which maps to get for Edge 705

    I've been digging around and am about to pull the trigger on the Edge 705 based on everyone's review of the 705.

    My question is should I invest in Garmin's Street Maps, Topo Map, or bail on both and go for TopoFusion.

    I already have a dedicated Garmin for my car so I don't think I'll really need Street Maps on the 705 (unless it adds some cool, must-have bells and whistles for MTB).

    I'm in the SF Bay Area -- do the area trails show in Garmin's Topo map or do I need to create my own or download others handy work.

    Any / all thoughts welcome.

  2. #2
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,707
    We've sold TopoFusion for some time and its users give us rave reviews.

    Personally (since I'm on a Mac most of the time), I use Garmin's Topo MicroSD chip for my area. I also use Ascent (for my Mac).

    I'd look real hard at TopoFusion.

    Enjoy!
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 08-22-2008 at 05:35 AM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 3034's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    749
    I'm using the california 24k topo sd micro card on my oregon (I think it will work on the 705)
    Its pretty good (It will calculate routes along forest roads) I think for mountain biking or hiking you need this level of detail

    I went with the maps hardcoded on a chip because I felt it would be less prone to problems when updating the unit etc

  4. #4
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by 3034
    I went with the maps hardcoded on a chip because I felt it would be less prone to problems when updating the unit etc
    It's just plain easier too. Good choice, IMHO.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  5. #5
    Mark
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by 3034
    Its pretty good (It will calculate routes along forest roads)
    Wow! I've never tried that on my 705.
    Is there something special I need to do to get it to calculate a route between 2 points along Forest Service roads??
    ===============

    Mark

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    253
    Is there a preference on which Topo map to use? Garmin has three different Topo maps listed: MapSource US Topo 24K , MapSource US Topo 24K National Parks West, and MapSource Topo US 2008.

    The next big debate is DVD or pre-programed microSD? Do you gain any detail/benefit by loading your own 2Gig microSD from DVD vs. purchasing a 256Mb pre-loaded microSD?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnnyspoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    780
    Two advantages to the DVD. 1, it's cheaper in the long run, you get the whole country for less than 80 bucks if you shop around. 2. You can load the maps on your computer for drawing tracks, etc. or just looking at potential destinations on a screen larger than an inch and a half.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 3034's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    749
    anything less than the 24k map will not work for hiking biking IMHO. I have never found the 100k topo maps usefull at all.

    NOTE: the preprogramed micro card 24k topo can NOT be copied to your computer so you have to do your route planning on your gps

    Quote Originally Posted by spec306
    Is there a preference on which Topo map to use? Garmin has three different Topo maps listed: MapSource US Topo 24K , MapSource US Topo 24K National Parks West, and MapSource Topo US 2008.

    The next big debate is DVD or pre-programed microSD? Do you gain any detail/benefit by loading your own 2Gig microSD from DVD vs. purchasing a 256Mb pre-loaded microSD?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 3034's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    749
    ON my Oregon I just config to 'calculate route ON road' and it does it on the forest roads.

    Quote Originally Posted by hoovermd
    Wow! I've never tried that on my 705.
    Is there something special I need to do to get it to calculate a route between 2 points along Forest Service roads??

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    253
    Thanks for the feedback. The 705 is on order and I'll probably add the 24K DVD right away. I downloaded the eval copy of TopoFusion as well.

  11. #11
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by spec306
    Thanks for the feedback. The 705 is on order and I'll probably add the 24K DVD right away. I downloaded the eval copy of TopoFusion as well.
    Excellent choice!!!

    TopoFusion is also a great option.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  12. #12
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,400
    For the benefit of folks using in AZ who might read this thread, one can access 24k maps for free with a little bit of diggin on the internet, already formated for the Edge. I was ready to pull the trigger on the 24k maps by Garmin and then I stumbled upon the AZ topos when digging around TopoFusion...just something to think about in case there are other maps out there for other states for free.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    591
    Will any old eMap maps work with the 705?

    Also I am a bit confused about the choices for maps to get for my 705. So if I get maps on the microSD card from Garmin then I can use the card on other units that take the same type of memory card. But then can't use the card to hold other ride information If I purchase a blank microSD card then I can get map info from a DVD to put on that memory card, but then I can't use that same card with other units? I have been reading over the threads but am just not getting it.
    Last edited by Resist; 08-31-2008 at 04:37 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    591
    I guess not.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stump54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Excellent choice!!!

    TopoFusion is also a great option.
    Geoman,
    First let me thank you and Pari for all the help in getting my new Garmin Vista to me so quickly.

    Now for my confusion...

    Maybe I need a GPS for dummies class; Sad when you consider all my experience with navigation. I am very experienced in the use of a map and compass, however, these discussions on the GPS/Map combination confuses me.

    I bought my GPS for the purpose of horseback, and mountain bike riding in unfamiliar areas; mostly State and National forests. I don't really need it to show me a trail but more for the return to my start point should that become necessary.

    So, I want the best set of maps, both TOPO and street, that I can load on my GPS. Obviously, 1:24,000 would be preferable to 1:100,000 but can use either, or both. Also, though I have a vehicle model garmin for my truck, I'd still like better street maps for the handheld.

    I'm not overly concerned about the price for the right solution; I just don't want to waste money. Also, I don't want to do any more than download from a computer.

    I guess my questions are these: BTW, I have the Garmin etrex Vista HCx.

    1. Which is the best TOPO map set for my GPS? 1:24,000 & 1:100,000
    2. Which is the best Steet map?
    3. Can I load all these map sets on one microSD card, and select the one I need at any given time?


    Thanks for the help?

    Gary

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    591
    What map package should I get for trail and street riding? I am pretty sure I want the DVD as I already have a blank 2GB microSD card for my Edge 705.

  17. #17
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    What map package should I get for trail and street riding? I am pretty sure I want the DVD as I already have a blank 2GB microSD card for my Edge 705.
    You need two different ones, both by Garmin if you want to load the maps into the GPS. City Navigator and Topo. Often Amazon has the best price on these, unless GeoMan has added them to his offerings.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    591
    So Mapsource City Navigator North America NT #010-1086-00 and Mapsource Topo U.S. 2008 #010-11001-00?

    I thought Topo U.S. 2008 wasn't that good?

  19. #19
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    I thought Topo U.S. 2008 wasn't that good?
    What other topo map choices are there to upload into a Garmin mapping GPS?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    591
    Well Garmin also has the 24k maps that provide greater detail but of course they only cover National Parks.

  21. #21
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    Well Garmin also has the 24k maps that provide greater detail but of course they only cover National Parks.
    I do not live and ride in a National Park, so I have the regular Topo, and the one before 2008, 1812 I think, just after the Overture was written by Tchaikovsky.

    It is not as detailed as some want, but it works well in my 60CSx, and is better than the worm trail on a white paper that my 305 gives.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

  22. #22
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I do not live and ride in a National Park, so I have the regular Topo, and the one before 2008, 1812 I think, just after the Overture was written by Tchaikovsky.

    It is not as detailed as some want, but it works well in my 60CSx, and is better than the worm trail on a white paper that my 305 gives.

    LOL!

    Good points! But even the worm trails were useful...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  23. #23
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,695
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    LOL!

    Good points! But even the worm trails were useful...
    For navigation, no. For getting back to your start point, excellent.

    For later analysis, fitness comparisons, health tracking, excellent. I have TopoFusion set to save tcx files and my shading is heart rate. Here is the local circuits close to home. See where I'm working harder on the SS?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

  24. #24
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I have TopoFusion set to save tcx files and my shading is heart rate. Here is the local circuits close to home. See where I'm working harder on the SS?
    That is very cool.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    591
    I ended up getting the preloaded Garmin MicroSD (2GB) 2009 City Navigator from Amazon.com for $78.04. Also got free shipping and no CA state tax!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •