Ride More, Whine Less

New version of Garmin Connect on its way

I find this news pretty exciting. Garmin connect, in its present form, seems like a website from the early days of the web. Boring tabular display limited functionality. Well, it looks like they are catching up with other websites with a pending new release.

CES Announcement: Garmin Connect Redesign Garmin Blog

The changes seem to be driven by their new "fitbit"s they are releasing. There appears to be some Strava like things built into the new model. It should be interesting to see how it is accepted.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmin
    With the all-new segments and leaderboards feature, users can run or ride against past efforts or against others to see how they stack up against the competition.
    Really?

They're gonna go there too?

Ride More, Whine Less
    Looks like it will be the case.

It is about time they posted a layout/design update to the site. It's been pretty static since it's inception.

It's unfortunate that they're jumping into the segment bandwagon, but they're losing serious market share to Strava, especially, because of that level of competition. I upload both places, since each site does things I like and lack certain things. What I'd really like to see is the ability to set a private zone around certain locations (home, work, etc) the way Strava does. When I leave from my house on a ride or a run, I can upload to Strava without much worry, knowing that Strava will hide the location of my house. On Garmin Connect, my only option is to make the whole activity private. That's no fun if I had a really awesome ride or run I'd like to share, or chose a new route that I loved (and also want to share), or would like to point out a really crappy route for others to avoid.

I do like how they're making the dashboard more customizable. It also looks like they are making widgets out of "Goals". I kinda like that one. I don't set many goals, but I'd like to see mine, and my progress towards that goal more prominently than the site currently displays it.

mtbr member

New version of Garmin Connect on its way

Now if they could just combine the features of Training Peaks and Strava ........
    cheers
    Pagey

Ride More, Whine Less
    I noticed a partial update to garmin connect today. The mapping and font/layout is different, but it is not the new version that was shown during the trade show. Hopefully it will be here soon.

mtbr dismember

New Android app

Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I noticed a partial update to garmin connect today. The mapping and font/layout is different, but it is not the new version that was shown during the trade show. Hopefully it will be here soon.
    New Android app today too.

Ride More, Whine Less
    I received a popup tonight that converted me to the new modern design. My wife has had the modern view for a few weeks since she purchased a vivofit. Overall, it's pretty. I'm not sure about its function as of yet.