mtbr member
    May 2005

New smartphone owner (iPhone 5) OMG where to start?

Almost embarrassing but my trusty old flip phone met it's final demise on a recent hiking trip so I have upgraded from the dark ages to a new iPhone 5 smartphone. Thanks god for my kids (including 1 who works at Best Buy...very dangerous BTW) to ease the learning curve a bit.

Obviously I would like to start using this phone for my hiking, mtn. biking, and some road riding. Son hooked me up with a sweet Lifeproof case and I have the bike mount ordered. Now the app overload analysis paralysis has set in.

What are some of the better apps (and maybe more user friendly?) I should be looking at to get me started? Loaded question I suppose but I'm sure you veteran iPhone users have been through this as well and have sifted through the maze. Only GPS I own is a Garmin for my car so I'll also be new to downloading maps, gpx and other file formats which I assume will be needed, combined/overlaid etc.

Thanks!
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Endomondo
    Weatherbug
    Shazam

Those are my main apps on android.
    2012 Fianceť
    2011 Spc SJ Cmp Crbn 29
    2010 Fantom Cross Outlaw
    2009 Spc RH Exprt Disc 29
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7
    2007 Spc RH

mtbr member
    Runtastic mountain bike app. Also, given the drain from using GPS, if it becomes an issue, you may want to consider a case with an integral backup battery. Best Buy has them, though I don't know if they are out for the 5 yet.

iphone is notorious for poor battery life while running GPS apps. Don't expect more than a couple hours out of it. GPS is also not that great. temper your expectations about data quality. Others will probably be more accurate than you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have an iPhone, but got a cheap samsung ace added a long life battery and ViewRanger online trip planning and sharing community for the outdoors for mapping works very well, if i wreck it i've only wrecked a cheap phone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

New smartphone owner (iPhone 5) OMG where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    iphone is notorious for poor battery life while running GPS apps. Don't expect more than a couple hours out of it. GPS is also not that great. temper your expectations about data quality. Others will probably be more accurate than you.
    So for fun, I was able to test your above statement today. I was on the trail for roughly 4.5 hours. I used Strava to track this mornings ride. I was using my iPhone 5 that I bought last November and started with roughly 98% battery. I turned wifi and cellular off on the way to the TH. I was in a region with no cellphone coverage. GPS was iffy as well as the ride goes in tight woods surrounded by steep mtns on both sides of this lovely river trail. The battery at the end of the ride read 62%. I'm only putting this data out there for others to compare to their own battery life. I also took 4 pics using the HDR setting plus a 10 second video.
    Here is my ride. No guarantee of GPS accuracy since GPS always reads off for me.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/59334003

Cheers,
    Mike