mtbr member

New iphone 5s and M7 coprocessor - any benefit for strava/other gps tracking apps?

Calling all techies !

Is there any benefit in terms of battery saving during gps tracking with the M7. I am choosing between HTC ONE and iphone 5s for my next phone. I use strava for tracking my rides, but on the longer rides I use my garmin because I don't want to run down the battery on iphone. I wonder if this new m7 could stop the battery drain.

From apple website:

The new M7 coprocessor is like a sidekick to the A7 chip. Itís designed specifically to measure motion data from the accelerometer, gyroscope, and compass ó a task that would normally fall to the A7 chip. But M7 is much more efficient at it. Now fitness apps that track physical activity can access that data from the M7 coprocessor without constantly engaging the A7 chip. So they require less battery power.

M7 knows when youíre walking, running, or even driving. For example, Maps switches from driving to walking turn-by-turn navigation if, say, you park and continue on foot. Since M7 can tell when youíre in a moving vehicle, iPhone 5s wonít ask you to join Wi-Fi networks you pass by. And if your phone hasnít moved for a while, like when youíre asleep, M7 reduces network pinging to spare your battery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    impossible to say until it's in the hands of real people.

I just ride with an external battery pack usb charger in my camelbak to keep my iphone 4s topped up. My contract is up end of October so I'll be getting the 5s to replace, no question.
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er