New Garmins pushing the high end envelope, starting to toy with Trimble's low end?

The Garmin Monterra and Garmin Virb look like they're on their way. Amazon has a page for the Monterra now.

Looks like Garmin is finally getting a clue that its hardware had better start to converge on phone hardware because users are beginning to expect phone performance from Garmin's handhelds. The price is pretty steep though, and it seems to me that Garmin is trying to position itself in a different market segment than the general rec market. Face it, the general rec user probably won't buy the Monterra for $700. Looks like they will probably get a few of the "power" rec users but possibly start to siphon off some of Trimble's lower end users.

I am curious if it will see any accuracy improvements over the rest of Garmin's lineup to go along with the market segment it seems to be trying to court with this new device.

The Virb looks to be interesting. There are fewer details about that one yet, but a Garmin camera? Wonder how that will work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can't help but wonder why Google hasn't come out with a ALL-IN-ONE. Seems like a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGESAM View Post
    I can't help but wonder why Google hasn't come out with a ALL-IN-ONE. Seems like a no brainer.
    an all-in-one what? take a high quality GPS and tack too many other things onto it and it won't be all that useful in the end because it'll either need to be too enormous to be worth hauling around or it will be crippled by pitiful battery life. there are tablets out there that are plenty capable, but they're pretty beastly. and too expensive for the general public to care about. some folks take basic tablets out to do gps work, but they're not built to withstand regular rough work so you have to be very careful with them.

And why hasn't Google gone into it? The market segment is too small for Google to make big waves with a product that is better than everything else out there. And the market segment is too low-profile for Google to make something, not caring about profits, just do make something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    2 words..

Google Glass.

Oh wait.. I might get those, maybe.

edit: Just read the specifications on them, and it looks like they will more than likely have GPS built into them. If they connect via bluetooth, it may be within the realm of possibility that Garmin or another GPS manufacturer might implement some features that can be displayed through the HUD.
    Last edited by RandomGuyOnABike; 04-08-2013 at 10:48 AM.