Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Garmins?

mtbr member

New Garmins?

I can't vouch for the authenticity of this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Garmins?-skrmbillede2013-01-01kl161812-1_zps9a9ee694.png  

3D guy
    I like the.... "It offers connected features1 through your smartphone..." (still need to fill in the features they are going to highlight.

Interesting that the additions to the high end seem to be smart phone, social and weather (I assume social is garmin connect via a cell connection). None of these are things I am interested in.

Will be interested if this is right, or fake.
    Geoff Stahl
    San Jose

BLTc, Chameleon Single Speed, Speedvagen Road

Owner Epic Biking
    I like my 500. Connecting through a smart phone could be cool, but I'm one of the seemingly very few that doesn't have a smart phone. I do have a cell phone somewhere, but I think the battery is probably dead.
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Does this mean they'll now have free resources to fix the firmware bugs on the 500?

Off Course!
    Course Found!
    Off Course!
    Course Found!
    every...2...minutes.....grrrrrrr

trail rat
    Oh great. Garmin can eliminate the good (costly, precise, costly) GPS chips and just upload the piss poor data from a smartphone, and still sell it at the same price or more. Gotta love the Walmart ethic of dumb down the tech so that the the common man gets access to crap and the real GPS geeks are doing #facepalm.

Lets make it Facebook pretty, but the margin of error is measured in 100s of feet instead of 10s of feet. Great.

/rant off
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Nothing like a good old Edge 305!

noob
    ill stick with my 500. rarely will i bring my phone on a road ride and never on the trails.
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

???

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    Oh great. Garmin can eliminate the good (costly, precise, costly) GPS chips and just upload the piss poor data from a smartphone, and still sell it at the same price or more. Gotta love the Walmart ethic of dumb down the tech so that the the common man gets access to crap and the real GPS geeks are doing #facepalm.

Lets make it Facebook pretty, but the margin of error is measured in 100s of feet instead of 10s of feet. Great.

/rant off
    what makes you think its going to have a less accurate GPS chip?
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    what makes you think its going to have a less accurate GPS chip?
    One - Garmin has been using cheaper, less expensive chips as they go along. I have a 60CSx from 2004 that has the best gain and resolution of anything used since. They changed to a cheaper, less accurate chip at the end of life of the 60CSx. The Edge 305 also had higher gain than the 705 or 800 or following models.

Two - the phrase "It offers connected features1 through your smartphone..." tells me that they will try to use the smartphone for tracking, since they mention "live tracking".

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems every model gets more "socially capable" but perform poorly for those of us using them for mapping purposes.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Ninja Master Powers

/rant off
    Actually, and I'm only guessing here it'll go the other way through blue tooth and send info to the already available garmin app on your smart phone. Thus making the accuracy of the smart phone info much better.

I know if this is true ill be selling the Garmin 800 I just got for Xmas and getting the 810.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    how much?
    i was holding off buying a 800 from bike inn.com
    but after hearing this news i may pull the trigger....nothing that spectacular

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Econoline View Post
    What is the source of the picture?
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Garmin....

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by trueblue01gt View Post
    rarely will i bring my phone on a road ride and never on the trails.
    Interesting. I always have my cell w/ me on the trails in case I encounter some emergency situation that requires a call for extraction.

I'll be keeping my 500, too though. But I do see the 510's connectivity as a welcome feature.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnymac View Post
    how much?
    i was holding off buying a 800 from bike inn.com
    but after hearing this news i may pull the trigger....nothing that spectacular
    If the 810 is a reality I'll likely sell my new 800 for a couple hundred; give or take a few dollars.

Hit me up when/if the 810 is released you'll have the first pass at it if you want.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    If the 810 is a reality I'll likely sell my new 800 for a couple hundred; give or take a few dollars.

Hit me up when/if the 810 is released you'll have the first pass at it if you want.
    $699.99
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160

I looked at Garmin on Friday for new products and did not find them, but posted now.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My 500's GPS accuracy has completely gone wonky (I did have the screen repaired by Garmin, and ever since then it takes 5 minutes or more to find satellites, and has been having accuracy issues...), so the 510 is tempting just to get rid of the 500... hmm. Decisions decisions

Axe
    Custom User Title
    510 added GLONASS, but 810 did not? Odd.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What's that?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnymac View Post
    What's that?
    GLONASS? Another set of satellites. Improves fix speed and accuracy, especially in cities and canyons. Many chipsets already support it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    nice ....so the 810 doesn't have it but the 510 does?
    is the 800 slow?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    810 ordered!

also a new Oregon 600(t) and 650(t) models

Garmin Oregon 600 series gets GLONASS, customizable buttons, 8MP camera, battery options & multi-touch display - GPS Tracklog

These have GPS+GLONASS, change the screen to a capacitive multitouch transreflective TFT screen, add bluetooth, customizable buttons, a nuvi mode, landscape mode, a rechargeable NiMH battery pack that can be swapped for regular AA's (they dropped the ball here. this is really no different than just buying extra rechargeable batteries now...it would have been a true improvement if it was a LiIon pack).

I will be curious to see how this new screen works out for people. On my ride over the weekend, I was using my Oregon 450 with my gloves just fine. I don't want to have to buy special gloves to operate my GPS. I like the gloves I have now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Econoline View Post
    What is the source of the picture?
    Reportedly leaked from Garmin. Looks to be the current webpage during development.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Will the GLONASS in the 510 make it a better option for mountain biking in thicker wooded areas than the 500?
    Last edited by meSSican; 01-08-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast