mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New Garmin models questions

Nate I want to thank you for the time you took answering my question several months ago.

Things came up and I wasnít able to buy a GPS at the time, so now I have some questions with regard to the new Garmin Edge 810 and Oregon 650 models.

First and most important to me is having a map with the trails on it.

I do try and ride 2-3 times during the week for fitness, but itís the same trail and so for that the mapping isnít needed, but I think that some of the training features of the 810 might be nice.

I do ride aggressively, Iím an old BMX so I try to make a jump out of everything, so again I think the connect feature might be nice as I ride alone and my wife could keep an eye on me while I ride. That way if for some reason I get hurt and canít reach my phone, I have a backup.

Those things push toward the 810, but being GPS ignorant Iím also leaning toward the Oregon because of the mapping and the addition of GLONASS for accuracy. It doesnít seem to make sense to me why the higher end biking model with mapping wouldn't get the GLONASS.

So I guess Iím looking for input since I have no idea in the real world how much more accurate is the GLONASS vs. without? Is that accuracy worth giving up the biking feature?

thanks
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

GLONASS by itself doesn't improve accuracy. it DOES allow faster signal acquisition. any improvements in accuracy are indirect. the GLONASS system by itself is actually a little less accurate than GPS. accuracy improvements have to do with the extra satellite constellation you have access to. in marginal situations where you might only have a bare minimum of 3 GPS satellites visible with crappy accuracy, an extra GLONASS satellite or two can make a huge difference in accuracy due to the additional signal and possibly major improvements in satellite geometry that allow the receiver to pinpoint its location better.

It sounds to me like you've sorta talked yourself into a particular model already.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

New Garmin models questions

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    GLONASS by itself doesn't improve accuracy. it DOES allow faster signal acquisition. any improvements in accuracy are indirect. the GLONASS system by itself is actually a little less accurate than GPS. accuracy improvements have to do with the extra satellite constellation you have access to. in marginal situations where you might only have a bare minimum of 3 GPS satellites visible with crappy accuracy, an extra GLONASS satellite or two can make a huge difference in accuracy due to the additional signal and possibly major improvements in satellite geometry that allow the receiver to pinpoint its location better.

It sounds to me like you've sorta talked yourself into a particular model already.
    Hopefully the GLONASS improves reliability of the satellite lock, which is the issue I had with the newer Edge (200/800) models.

As you suggest, no lock, no data, no accuracy.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just picked up an etrex 30, so far so nice. The 20 was about as nice, but I decided to splurge on the 30 to get the compass and altimeter function.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I find it strange that the 510 has GLONASS capabilities whereas the 810 does not. I work with Trimble products for work and have noticed a huge improvement in accuracy in tight canyons and mountain areas here in Utah. I would imagine the addition of GLONASS in the 510 should help with accuracy when canyon walls ubstruct your sky view because you have access to more satellites.
    Anyone have any idea why the 810 does not have this capability?

Ninja Master Powers
    I have the 810, used maybe a month now.

I love the thing it works perfect. I've e posted a couple short reviews here since I picked it up.

In shortÖ Sat reception is vey, very quick and I've never dropped the signal.
    Even indoors it gets the Sats very quickly and stays locked on them

Accuracy is very good. All of the Bluetooth features work well and are useful (for me) except the weather, it's nice, accurate ( if your not far from the closest reporting station) but basically useless.

I use the live track feature, it works well. Keep in mind you need a signal for it to work. My experience has been that if you start it then lose the cell signal; the file you send becomes unusable and after a while (no all that long) can no longer be access by whomever you're sending it to.

Overall I'm very happy with 810 and (FWIW) recommend it.