mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New Garmin Edge 500 bundle for Xmas

So I just received my new Garmin edge 500 bundle for Xmas and have some questions. I've been searching the internet religiously for the last couple of days trying to find answers to a few of my questions, but to no avail.

First, I am aware that there are only 3 programmable bikes you can enter into the unit. However, I have 2 road bikes and 4 mountain bikes (soon to be 5). Does anyone have a "work around" for situation such as this? Can you have more than 3 speed/cadence sensors for situations like this? Is it possible to say... Have my two road bike remain as individual bikes on the 500 while the third bike is for all my mountain bikes and I just adjust the bike stats before I switch between the mountain bikes? Or would adjusting the mtb stats before each ride, assuming of course I'm using a differ bike with differ stats, screw up previous ride stats?

I guess what I'm getting at is... I'm willing to have a different speed/cadence sensor for each bike and adjust the 3rd bikes edge setting depending on which bike I'm using. I just don't want it to screw up previous ride data once it's downloaded, assuming of course that would even happen?!

Anyone in a similar situation as I find myself in? Any recommendations? Super excited to start logging data, but I'd like to use it for training purposes and keep everylthing in tact as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for feedback!!!

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltool View Post
    Can you have more than 3 speed/cadence sensors for situations like this? Is it possible to say... Have my two road bike remain as individual bikes on the 500 while the third bike is for all my mountain bikes and I just adjust the bike stats before I switch between the mountain bikes?
    You can have more than 3 sensors, but the 500 will only remember 3, so you'll need to run a re-scan when you switch to a 4th etc if you decide to use "Bike 3" as a catch-all for the rest of your fleet.

I'm not sure if it automatically recalculates the wheel size when you introduce a new sensor or not. Probably, but not sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Do you by chance know if when I adjust bike to a different set of stats (ie: 29er mtb vs. say my 26 inch enduro bike), it would go back and recalculate previous logs? In other words... Say my first ride is on my 29er. I then go on my second ride with my enduro 26er. When I download the data, either at the same time or separately, will adjust the first rides bike stats or no?

I suppose trial and error will lead me to the answers I seek, but I was curious.

Thanks for the feedback!

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltool View Post
    Do you by chance know if when I adjust bike to a different set of stats (ie: 29er mtb vs. say my 26 inch enduro bike), it would go back and recalculate previous logs? In other words... Say my first ride is on my 29er. I then go on my second ride with my enduro 26er. When I download the data, either at the same time or separately, will adjust the first rides bike stats or no?

I suppose trial and error will lead me to the answers I seek, but I was curious.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Once the tracklog or "activity" is written into the device it won't be modified. The only cumulative stat that I think will be messed up is the odometer, which will be a sum of several bikes real mileage.