mtbr member
    Feb 2008

New Garmin 705 owner - please help!!

I just bought a Garmin 705 and I'm new to the whole bike GPS scene. The main reason I bought is was for navigation -training data is of seconday importance right now. Since I'm new to the area, my thinking was that I could go with other riders who know the trails then record the route in order to be able to find it again. Also, I wanted to download trails from various websites.

Now that I've been playing with the 705 for a week I'm totally confused. I have used in-car navigations devices for a long time now (latest is a Tom Tom 910) and find the Garmin system to be totally un-user friendly compared to those. Not to mention that the owners manual is a complete joke and reading the various threads here has not really helped either. I'm hoping some experts can help me???

1. Saving .gpx files to a mico SD card or 705 memory? I have downloaded a .gpx file. Do I need to save this on a seperate SD card or can I put it into memory? If I already have an SD card in the unit (i.e. road maps for Europe), where do I save the .gpx file? When I plug the 705 into my iMac (with an SD card in the unit), it comes up as two mass storage devices. Also, into which folder/sub folder should I put the file? I have noticed that if I put it into some subfolders, it won't be recognized.

2. How do you actually navigate a saved route/track? Do I have to ride to the first wavepoint and then hit start? If my ride is a loop, how does the unit know which direction to go in? How do I get the unit to guide me to the start of the trailhead, then to the next way point? If I go off the track, what is supposed to happen to get me back because it seems like nothing does?Can somone please post a step-by-step process??

3. Do I use Garmin Connect or MotionBase? The user guide sent me to Garmin Connect, which seems to be a seperate website without much content. I know that MotionBase was bought by Garmin, but I thought they were only going to change the name. The site I went to was completly different. I thought I would be able to download trails from 'thousands' of uploaded ones, but I can only seem to find a few in my area (southern Germany).

4. Topo maps? The base maps that are pre-loaded are (basically) useless!!! I bought a bundle with roads for Europe and now regret it as they are not much better. Basically, it I turn up the detail, I can't read anything because screen is clogged full of labels. Conversly, when you turn down the detail, you only get names of major towns but it also exludes many of the street names, which I need to navigate to find out where I am. Why can't I determine what it displays?

Anyway, I have now ordered the Topo maps for Germany, but have no idea how to use them. Will I have to transfer these to the 705 -again onto a seperate SD card? It seems that if I want all mapping details I will have to swap out cards during the ride (i.e. major roads vs off-road)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anyone? Lots of views but no help... perhaps everyone is as confused as I am?

Lucky...
    Apr 2008

Help as I can

1) Save the .gpx files to either location, depending on how much space you have. I would suggest into the 705 itself, that way it is always there if you want it, and you don't accidently write over the Garmin maps on the SD card.

2) Press the menu button (on the right lower side of unit, choose "Where to," then saved rides. Choose the ride you want, and say start.

3) Use either Garmin connect or motion based, but not both; they will merge into Garmin Connect at some point. I personally use neither; Garmin Connect does not have the feature set (yet), and Motion Based is going away. I run on a Mac, so I use Ascent, which does mapping, tracks my workouts, and more. Great app, 30 bucks, well worth it. Similar 3rd party apps out there for Windows.

4) Topo maps are an add on- you can either buy the whole US as a MapSource disk, and sections of the US on an SD card. I have bought neither, but plan on buying the MapSource data, as I have multiple Garmin devices. I do understand, however, the Garmin topo data is not very detailed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ludwig1
    Anyone? Lots of views but no help... perhaps everyone is as confused as I am?
    Also, for 4):
    The density of text labels is defined in the map source before compiling to an .IMG file by the author of the source. The text becomes more sparse as one 'zooms out' in order to prevent the issue of 'having too much text' displayed on the screen. When the data are not automatically displayed at the current zoom level, one can 'point the mouse' at the road/feature which will then cause the text to appear. Also, with some investment in time you can figure out how to decompile .IMG files and change the default density of text labels at each zoom level. This is not a simple process, but may justify further investigation if you are interested in learning about the creation of custom maps.

mtbr member
    I am having trouble with my 705 navigating routes that I downloaded from Motion Based. I downloaded the .gpx files to the Garmin/GPX folder as the manual says and start the navigation and the screen goes to turn by turn instructions instead of showing the route with the arrow indicating where to go. Its kinda useless when your on a trail - you really need the graphic display.

Is there anything else you need to do to make following saved routes work?

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by adoble
    I am having trouble with my 705 navigating routes that I downloaded from Motion Based. I downloaded the .gpx files to the Garmin/GPX folder as the manual says and start the navigation and the screen goes to turn by turn instructions instead of showing the route with the arrow indicating where to go. Its kinda useless when your on a trail - you really need the graphic display.

Is there anything else you need to do to make following saved routes work?
    I think the best way is to just do history... you might also try pushing the click stick to see if that changes the view from turn-by-turn to looking at the route.

Have to be honest I don't use the 705 for guidance, merely recording and trying to figure out where the hell I am

Hack Racer
    [QUOTE=ludwig1]

1. You can save the gpx file to the garmin unit or the SD card inside the unit. You can also open the gpx file in mapsource (garmin software) and have it send it to the device. When you plug in your edge705 it comes up as two mass storage devices because the mac is recognizing the garmin and the SD card. The unit (edge 705) has the ability to act as a USB storaage device or in essence a USB key for you to save files on and off of it.

2. To navigate a saved route you go to menu, history, then select the route you want to do and hit start. It will automatically take you to the first point. To draw a looped course you still have to start drawing with points. The first point is your start location.

3. You can use either. I had a edge305 before so I had motion based profile. Motion based used to be better when it allowed you to access up to 1 years worth of saved routes/rides. Now it only lets you select the last 10 to view in detail unless you are a paid member. To use motionbased you will need to create a profile and manually upload the profile yourself. You login, click on the "upload" link just below the "My activites" tab on the top left. Make sure you garmin edge 705 is plugged into your mac and press upload.

4. Topo Maps are add ons you buy from Garmin or from 3rd party. Luckily there is a person in Calgary who has redone all the Canadian Topo Mads from Resource Canada and digitized them. I use his maps. I'm not sure if there are equivalent free ones for your country. If you are resourceful enough you can find anything for free on the internet.

If you ordered the Garmin Topo Germany Maps you probably ordered either the SD card from Garmin (preloaded maps) or you purchaed Garmin's CD/DVD. In the earlier case you just slip the SD card into your garmin edge 705. In the later case (which I prefer) you use garmin's mapsource program which is included in your CD/DVD for the topo. That allows it to generate topo files based on regions of the country you are interested in by highlighting/selecting the area and hitting the send to device option. It will ask you if you want to send the data to your garmin edge 705 unit directly or the SD card inside your edge. Either of which has it's ups and downs. It's your decision which you choose.

If you want to have both driving roads and topo roads you will need to have the garmin CD/DVD version of the topos. Using Mapsource you install topo maps and city driving maps. There is a pull down menu in the top left hand corner of mapsource program (for windows) that allows you to view the topo maps or the city streets maps. You select ther regions you want and then upload these maps to your device

Some comments:
    -The Garmin software for windows is way better than the Mac still. I know Garmin is trying to make a push into the mac market. But their mac stuff is still very buggy. I choose to run windows XP via boot camp or parallels on my mac machine and use the PC based mapsource and training center for the edge705.
    -Garmin Edge705 will not support MicroSD high capcity or SDHC. Which means the biggest microSD card you can use is 2GB. I bought a 4GB and learned the hard way.
    -The navigation using find address for driving with the edge705 is horrendous. It will keep on telling you the shortest distance and try to make you get off the high way and go direct via local roads for shortest distance. In most cases this ist he slower than sticking on the high way and cutting down on a road to get to the destination. It kept on trying to recalculate a route using find address because I chose not to take the off ramp each time it suggested it. I had to rely on the trusty paper map for that journey still

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

thanks

Thanks for these posts. I am also a new garmin owner and am having a devil of a time figuring out what options are available out there, particularly with the mapping. Their manuals and website are pratically useless for a first time user.