mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Need something that offers HRM, GPS and basic workout logging

I want something that offers HRM, and GPS and that will keep a log of rides. I currently use RunKeeper on the iPhone but that doesn't offer HRM on the iPhone 4 or later versions. Is there an app out there that offers a HRM add-on? I lift weights, play tennis, race dirt bikes and kayak in addition to mtn biking. Does Strava offer a HRM add on that uses a chest strap?

My backup plan right now is the Polar RC3 GPS Bike. Anyone using this for tracking fitness and rides? It seems to be the one that fits my needs most from the features listed on the website. I've read a few reviews on Amazon. Mostly 4's and 5's but there are a few that question the quality of the physical materials. I used a Polar product in my college PE course and was impressed by the polar product. $350 is a steep price and I like using my phone for tracking this stuff anyways so I'd like to go that route if possible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    garmin 500

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That's about the equivalent to toting around my phone on the tennis court. I know this isn't a tennis forum but it's one of the sports I'm playing currently. I'm not opposed to that but if my options are that or the watch, I think the watch would fit my needs better. I'm more interested in an iPhone app that offers HRM. I like being able to listen to music as I workout and I can deal with an arm band or something of that nature. Maybe I missed the boat with the title of my thread. Maybe I'm wanting a product that does more than any one product can do. My apologies for that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    strava ties into HRM straps, but I thought runkeeper did also?

Personally I want a simple HRM watch (not chest strap), that is bluetooth 4.0 to tie into my iphone while recording in strava. Can't find one...
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er

Quote Originally Posted by IWreckALot View Post
    Maybe I'm wanting a product that does more than any one product can do.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. You do such a wide variety of things that you just can't reasonably expect one device to do what you want for all of them.

there are apps that handle HRM straps and if you browse this forum a little, you'll find a few phone threads that cover more apps than you'll get in this thread. Also related to HRM straps.

Still, when it comes to weights and ball sports, I'm not remotely interested in a HRM. For weights, I'm more interested in sets/reps/weight and how I'm progressing. I've always just kept my records on graph paper. It'd be nice if a phone app handled things as well for me, but I haven't been happy with the ones I've tried in the past. I don't lift weights enough to put more effort into it. Graph paper does what I need. I play soccer from time to time. I just don't care how far I ran or what my HR was. I just know I'm going to peg it frequently during a game. All I care about is how fast I recover. I save the HRM/GPS for training days (running work, not ball work).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My goal right now is weightloss and toning more than bulking up. And when I hit the weights, I take a 6-10 mile bike ride for a warmup and to get my heart rate up. Then while I lift, I try to keep the heart rate up by jump roping between sets so for me, I think a HRM would be beneficial during weight lifting.

RunKeeper has a HRM but it is not compatible with the iPhone 5 and I'm sure it's not with the 5s either. This was the last I checked which was a few months ago. I wish it did have a strap that worked because other than that, it keeps up with everything I want. Well that and the lack of a weight lifting tracking program but that's a bit of a back seat to everything else I'm doing.

I found the Strava compatible HRM on Strava's website. It just wasn't in an easy to find place.

Figured I'd post up here to see if yall had the magic answer.

sheep in FOX clothing
    If you had the 500 or any other ANT+ device sitting somewhere in the weight room or maybe court-side, it would probably have enough range to log your heart rate without having to wear anything other than the HRM band.

Just throwing stuff out here.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I got a Garmin ForeRunner because I like the watch form better for mountain biking and running. I got the 610, but there's a range and they start relatively small, light, and inexpensive. Many have bike modes, if you don't need the speed/cadence sensor.

The NIKE+ sport watch competes for users who want something similar, I think with all those same functions.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

I have a Forerunner 310XT, so it is switchable between bike and run modes. It also connects to my Tanita bc-1000 scale via ANT+ to download metrics. It's HRM compatible, speed/cad meter compatible, foot pod compatible, and power meter compatible. It's also pretty water resistant (it's a triathlon watch). I got the 1/4 turn QR adapter for it, so it uses the same mount as the newer Garmin Edges on my bike, and it snaps quickly from bike to wrist band if I'm doing a multisport workout. I can also set up heart rate zones on it, so it will give me warnings if my HR gets too low or too high.

I plan to add the foot pod and HRM to it this winter for offseason gym work (treadmill stuff).

I think I bought it as a refurb for something like $165 last winter.

It also has a basic track display like the old Edge 205/305 had and the Edge 500 lacks. Any ANT+ HRM strap will work. Not just Garmin's. Same with the other sensors. Any company's ANT+ sensors will work. You have a lot more flexibility, which cuts down on the hassle that you're having now, of finding an app/HRM combination that will work for you.

SLR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

DFMBA.org

Need something that offers HRM, GPS and basic workout logging

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I have a Forerunner 310XT, so it is switchable between bike and run modes. It also connects to my Tanita bc-1000 scale via ANT+ to download metrics. It's HRM compatible, speed/cad meter compatible, foot pod compatible, and power meter compatible. It's also pretty water resistant (it's a triathlon watch). I got the 1/4 turn QR adapter for it, so it uses the same mount as the newer Garmin Edges on my bike, and it snaps quickly from bike to wrist band if I'm doing a multisport workout. I can also set up heart rate zones on it, so it will give me warnings if my HR gets too low or too high.

I plan to add the foot pod and HRM to it this winter for offseason gym work (treadmill stuff).

I think I bought it as a refurb for something like $165 last winter.

It also has a basic track display like the old Edge 205/305 had and the Edge 500 lacks. Any ANT+ HRM strap will work. Not just Garmin's. Same with the other sensors. Any company's ANT+ sensors will work. You have a lot more flexibility, which cuts down on the hassle that you're having now, of finding an app/HRM combination that will work for you.
    Good mini-review NateHawk. I know you're the resident GPS guy around here so I feel better about my decision to order a 310xt too. What do you mean by 'basic track display', btw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    What do you mean by 'basic track display', btw?
    It shows a map that's blank except for your track and any waypoints you've set (like the trailhead or something). There's no basemap whatsoever, so the only reference you have is the trail you've ridden so far. You have to compare it to a paper map or your memory of what's there to figure how far you've got left.

It's somewhere in between "no map" and "full mapping capability". It is the same basic mapping functionality that the most basic eTrex offers (currently the 10). But it doesn't allow you to load map data of any kind. I use it when I'm riding somewhere I know and pretty much just want time and total mileage stats while I'm on the ride.

When I visit a trail that's new to me, I will bring along my Oregon 450 with detailed topo basemap and possibly some kind of reference for the trails that are there.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    It shows a map that's blank except for your track and any waypoints you've set (like the trailhead or something). There's no basemap whatsoever, so the only reference you have is the trail you've ridden so far. You have to compare it to a paper map or your memory of what's there to figure how far you've got left.

It's somewhere in between "no map" and "full mapping capability". It is the same basic mapping functionality that the most basic eTrex offers (currently the 10). But it doesn't allow you to load map data of any kind. I use it when I'm riding somewhere I know and pretty much just want time and total mileage stats while I'm on the ride.

When I visit a trail that's new to me, I will bring along my Oregon 450 with detailed topo basemap and possibly some kind of reference for the trails that are there.
    I was hoping you'd say something to that effect. Do you feel that the resolution on the watch is good enough to pinpoint where you are If you had a good companion map in your possession then? In effect, displaying enough 2D geometry on the watch to size it up to a good trail map.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

I don't think it's enough to pinpoint an exact location. Not with the tiny screen and lack of reference points. For example, if I was riding a fairly straight trail with few defining curves, it'd be really tough to tease anything useful out of it since there are no other reference points. However, on contour trails that snake along hillsides around here, if I have a good paper map, I can count the right-hand corners, or the number of drainages I've crossed or something along those lines, and get close to my location on that map.

But then again, I really only use it when I know the trail, anyway. So I don't tend to need it to know where I am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IWreckALot View Post
    Does Strava offer a HRM add on that uses a chest strap?
    I use a Wahoo Fitness Blue HR and Strava gets the data from it

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The Zephyr Bluetooth HRM straps work with iOS and Android and Strava as well. Just check that your particular phone has the correct BT standard to match their product, there are a few versions and only the more recent (last year or so) phones support it.

Also bike only really, but initial impression of the Sigma Rox 10.0 GPS bundle with HRM, cadence and speed sensors is good. I just got it and with the most current version of their included DataCenter software, you can export the data to several formats, .FIT, .GPX, .CSV etc. Imports to Strava as .FIT no problems. The sensors for this are all ANT+ and it will read ANT+ power meters too. $269 for the full bundle from Amazon...a fair deal.