mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Need some info on computers/gps for fitness

Alright I broke down and bought a bike for myself and my son to get out and get some exercise. I am overweight and need to get doing some stuff, my son is addicted to Xbox and needs to get doing some stuff!
    I would like to be able to track some info so I can track my fitness. I am looking to track
    Speed
    distance
    time
    heart rate
    I would like the GPS feature so we can get ourselfs back to the start! We also like Goecaching and that would be fun to do.
    So if I get the Polar H7 heart rate monitor, is there a computer or GPS that can work with that? I have an Iphone 4s but I fear the battery will give out too quick.

No GPS will give you compatibility with your Polar HRM and geocaching capability. Polar uses its own proprietary HRM transmission protocol and limits you to their own devices.

Now, if you're willing to give up the Polar, then yeah, you can. iphones are not known for being good on battery when using GPS, but you can use it. there is a geocaching app and you can get HRM straps that will work with it. Not to mention, the iphone GPS has a bit to be desired.

A little more reliable on battery life would be something like a Garmin eTrex 30 or an Oregon 450. They will give you mapping capability, which is important when geocaching, as well as HRM capability, with any ANT+ HRM. A fitness GPS like a Forerunner or Edge is more specific to running and biking, and tracking HRM and such, but will not be any good for geocaching. Fitness GPS receivers also tend to be a little more expensive than handhelds. It all depends how serious you want to use the various fitness functions. Where fitness units shine is that you can do a lot with training and have the unit give you guidance to maintain a specific workout. Different models have different capabilities here, but I find these functions helpful when training for running. I have a Garmin Forerunner 310XT for that that is an upgrade to my Forerunner 205, which is not compatible with any extra sensors.

If geocaching is only a casual interest, maybe buy a fitness GPS for workouts and use your phone for geocaching?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am not set on the polar HR monitor, I wasn't sure there were others.
    I was looking at the 450 on Garmins site but I do not see anywhere it talking about the HR function. Can it also use a cadence sensor?
    I have been looking around at different posts and found the Garmin site that has training tools, just needs to update cycling plans.
    Thanks for the help, I know you answer all these questions four or five times!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I was just checking the Garmin Connect site and the Oregon 450 is not on there, SO of the ones that are there is the edge 305 a decent one? I have seen a few people who have posted about it. What is the difference between that and the higher models? Obviously I would have to get another GPS for caching but I could just use my phone for that.
    Is the connect site a good tool or are there better sites with other equipment to help me train and loose weight and get better? If I am using my phone for the caching Is there a different computer or GPS that would help me achieve my goals of loosing weight?
    I am not set on any brand or any one thing, I am set on what will be the best function.

Garmin Connect is only officially compatible with any models except fitness receivers. however you can do a manual file upload of data from any device. The way you can tell on Garmin's site is to click on the "Accessories" tab and if an accessory is listed there, the device is compatible with it. There are a couple threads in this forum about the Oregon 450 specifically and the HRM. It works. So will the speed/cad sensor.

It will not do training plans, however. But FYI, that is a new feature on the site. The only training plans available are for running. There are no cycling ones yet.

The Edge 305 is a good receiver. It has been discontinued, though. It also is not really commanding a much lower price online because it was such a good receiver. The closest to it right now would be the Edge 500. Also be sure to specify the model series along with the number, as there is some overlap with numbers. For example, there is a Forerunner 305 as well as an Edge 305.

Garmin has a product comparison tool that lets you see models side-by-side with feature comparisons. Basically, more expensive models give you more functions. Within the current Edge line, the 200 is about as basic as it gets. No extra sensors. The 500 gives you more options and settings, and has full sensor compatibility. The 800 offers similar, except adds maps. Now there's the 510 and 810, which add bluetooth 4.0 and connectivity with a smartphone for live tracking, data uploads from the field, and weather updates. There are other things but are too nitpicky to explain here. You can read more elsewhere when you are ready for it.

There are WAY more sites you can use with a GPS. Which is better is mostly going to be someone's opinion. With that said, depending on how serious you are, there are some that stand above the crowd. Training Peaks and Golden Cheetah are in a league of their own. If you are serious, this is where you should be logging your training. Sites like Garmin Connect, Strava, MapMyRide, and similar have sorta midrange training capabilities. Some are better than others in specific areas, but lag in others. Then there are a huge number of sites that simply allow you to upload your files to their sites and give you some basic stats. This list is big, always growing, and always changing. There are probably better than 2 dozen data sharing sites out there by now.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    if you can do without the GPS portion you might take a look at this VDO Z2PC Cycle Computer with ANT+ Heart Rate and USB Download - Normal Shipping Ground
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Hmmmmmm I looked at that on and a few things jumped out. Is a chest strap included with that? It is a decent price BUT the reviews are not good, most of them say it is really a pain to set up and use. Do you have experience with it? Anyone?

Also what is ANT+?
    Thanks

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    yup comes with the HRM and speed sensor, cadence sensor looks like it's sold out at nashbar but was an extra $10... no experience as I ended up using a cell phone with ant+ instead...

ant+ is "a low power consumption wireless technology" basically you won't need to charge or replace the battery in the sensors for a year... garmin uses it for their HRM, cadence/speed sensor etc, other companies are also using it for the power meters in cycling and a million other uses now.

I know wahoo fitness has an ANT+ adapter and apps for the iphone... I went ant+ because I had some of the stuff from my old forerunner watch and other parts are easy and inexpensive to get... I'd prefer a garmin edge but right now thats not in the budget
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I see in one of the reviews of that cycle computer they mention a 20% discount code or something. Anyone know how to get that? I am still looking to get a computer or GPS and HR monitor and trying to stay within a budget. Any new thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Another question I have is........ will the HR monitor included with that VDO Z2PC computer work with my iphone 4s by any chance?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    it's ant+ so if you have an ant+ dongle for your phone then yes it would work... but no, not without some other hardware.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2006

I bought a polar h6 (same thing as h7) and it works fine as a HR. It doesn't seem like a big battery drain either.