mtbr member
    May 2012

Need quick advice on choosing the right computer/GPS

So I'm trying to decide which computer/gps to go with. I'm looking at the Garmin Edge 500 Red bundle I believe it comes with the GSC 10. But what I really need one for is speed and calories burned is there anything else out there cheaper that can do that?

Also would it matter if my bike is a 29er??

Just trying to see if theres something like the 500 with a cheaper price tag...

Thanks!
    2012 Specialized StumpJumper HT Comp 29

your bike does not matter.

also do not take too much stock in calorie estimates. they're very loose estimates. IMO, the manufacturers only include them because a subset of the population demands it, not because they're especially useful. what are you really intending to do with that information? there really isn't anything useful you can do with it.

If you read these forums, you will find that there are a lot of folks who don't like the Edge 500 for mountain biking, and that using it with the GSC 10 is really the only way to make it at all useful on a mountain bike. The Edge 200 provides crap data on a mountain bike, since it is not compatible with additional sensors and has fewer options to customize settings.

you can go cheaper and still have a useful device, but you're getting into handheld territory and those are going to be a good bit bigger than an Edge 500. they won't provide calories at all, thank goodness. after that, you're in traditional bike computer territory (no GPS).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks, I just purchased the Garmin 500 Red with the bundle. Hope it treats me well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The GS 10 did not fit on my mtb. It had to go right where the brake hose line guide is. I've used it on my road bike and found it inconsistent. An old BlackBurn Neuro sensor worked better.

I'm not sure these bundles are worth it. There seems to be better choices for sensors and HR monitors.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm also debating a new computer, the elevation counter in my forerunner 305 is terrible.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    The GS 10 did not fit on my mtb. It had to go right where the brake hose line guide is. I've used it on my road bike and found it inconsistent.
    I had some odd jumpy readings on my road bike above 45kph or so. When I increased the distance between the spoke magnet and the sensor a bit, the odd readings went away.

I did have no end to problems with the Garmin HRM band, and eventually replaced the strap with a Timex spare, although the OP probably doesn't want to hear this now that he's pulled the trigger...

mtbr member
    I've had no issues with my 500 other than it will only accommodate 3 bikes and you can't customize the screen for each bike setting. The GSC 10 is a must though on a mountain bike if you want accurate readings on millage.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What distance should I keep the the GSC arm from the spoke magnet? The instructions says 5mm which is pretty close.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Start with that and only monkey with it if it gets jumpy at higher speeds.

I actually have three GSC10s on three bikes, and only one of them had that problem.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    One other question, Wheel Size, do I run it auto or manual?

If manual they didn't list 29x2.0 size in the book so I don't know the code for it.

Thanks

sheep in FOX clothing
    Set it to auto, and then ride 1 km or so in as straight a line as you can with as little sky obstruction as possible. It will beep when the wheel size locks in.

Note tire pressure differences car seriously throw this off, so use something typical for your general riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    @maximum: did you get the premium HRM with the unit? If so how is it "holding up"? Have been reading that there are quite a bit of issues with it sending irratic data. I just bought the 800 and am looking for a HRM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc13 View Post
    @maximum: did you get the premium HRM with the unit? If so how is it "holding up"? Have been reading that there are quite a bit of issues with it sending irratic data. I just bought the 800 and am looking for a HRM.
    Get the "inexpensive" hr that garmin has. Form I've tried and read, it seems to be a corrosion issue with sweat on the snap and sensor area.
    here

Whaoo fitness has one
    here

You can use the Cyclops one also. It's expensive to at $60 IMHO
    here

I have a blackburn Nero HR that works too, but I don't think they make those anymore. I have always thought it was overpriced too at $75. It came with my Nero at the time.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Cheaper fix is to get the Timex or Reebok ANT+ HRM strap and snap on the Garmin HRM transmitter, since the Garmin strap was my problem (failed after 10 rides).

Or if you haven't bought it yet, just get the Timex ANT+ HRM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. But what makes those HRMs not susceptible to the same issues the premium HRM Garmin has?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. But what makes those HRMs not susceptible to the same issues the premium HRM Garmin has?
    Their construction is different. I've used the Polar WearLink strap with the garmin premium module and it works fine.

Polar's design is similar, but I've used those running and got 2 yrs out of a strap before it wore out.

I think the garmin premium strap module interface just isn't that durable. Their cheaper one is because it's one piece. It's not as comfortable, but still good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So if I understand correctly, the big rectangle module that snaps into the strap is the transmitter and interfaces with the strap which makes contact with your skin collecting the data. It is the strap that is faulty on the Garmin HRM but not the module itself correct?

Seems like I my get the Timex one Timex Ironman ANT+ HRM Comfort Strap (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available as it gets positive reviews.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Timex Ironman ANT+ HRM Comfort Strap (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available[/url] as it gets positive reviews.
    What I'm using right now.

Much more durable strap. It still will occasionally record high readings if the zipper of my jersey flaps against the transmitter in the wind, but it's less susceptible to this than the Garmin.

The transmitter is a bit larger profile than the garmin, but it's more than worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Great thanks. Some more positive feedback.

I wear some what of a loose jersey Race Face Canuck Short-Sleeved Jersey (Men's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available. Hopefully it doesn't affect the readings too bad.

And I apologize for hijacking this thread