mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Need help with a Heart Rate Monitor

Hi all.

I'd like to get a HRM but am a bit uncertain on which one to get.

I'm looking for something that will easily and seamlessly integrate with my Strava results, which I track using my iPhone. However, I keep my phone in my Camelback, and would like to have a HRM that syncs to a watch that will also mount on my handlebars.

What product fits the bill here?

Thanks in advance.

no single product.

there are a couple remote displays you can put on the bars that work with your phone and allow you to keep the phone in your pack and use sensors like HRMs and others.

what will work for you will depend on what model iphone you have.

the Wahoo RFLKT is one example of such a device. reviews on that one have been mixed.

your other option is to use a dedicated GPS with HRM, and upload to strava using the data collected by that device. this is what I do when I want to upload to strava.

mtbr member
    May 2012

And if you're going the dedicated gps route: I believe the Garmin Edge 810 has all the features you needed except for the fact that it isn't a wearable watch-type hrm...

Edit: I mean that it connects to your phone. But I don't think you really need that feature anymore if you're going for a dedicated gps... So forget what I said .

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Take a look at the Garmin 310XT. It's a multifunction watch-type GPS that you can use for biking and running. It does have a heart rate display and I think you can usually find the heart rate monitor strap bundled with it. I got a cheap Garmin handlebar mount that the watch just straps to and it works just fine.

EDIT: Also, the free Garmin Connect program integrates flawlessly into Strava and Endomondo.
    Last edited by MTB PBO; 03-22-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: More Info
    2011 Trek 6500

DFMBA.org

Quote Originally Posted by MTB PBO View Post
    Take a look at the Garmin 310XT. It's a multifunction watch-type GPS that you can use for biking and running. It does have a heart rate display and I think you can usually find the heart rate monitor strap bundled with it. I got a cheap Garmin handlebar mount that the watch just straps to and it works just fine.

EDIT: Also, the free Garmin Connect program integrates flawlessly into Strava and Endomondo.
    I echo this and you can handlebar mount it with an optional mount from Garmin, for about $15. The battery life is really good as well, up to 20 hrs I think. You can also upload other maps to the unit and follow a breadcrumb trail in real time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post
    Hi all.

I'd like to get a HRM but am a bit uncertain on which one to get.

I'm looking for something that will easily and seamlessly integrate with my Strava results, which I track using my iPhone. However, I keep my phone in my Camelback, and would like to have a HRM that syncs to a watch that will also mount on my handlebars.

What product fits the bill here?

Thanks in advance.
    I use Wahoo Fitness products, the heart rate monitor works with their app and with Strava