mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Need a GPS for work, want a new toy for cycling!

Ok, I'm starting to go batty reading reviews and spec sheets, hoping someone here can help.
    I need a new gps for work, I need to simply and quickly create waypoints as well as record routes, then display them on a google earth or topo map. I dont actually need to store a lot of waypoints, I dont think I've ever used more than 30 in the past.
    A watch mount would actually be good for work as I already have enough hanging off my belt/in my hands etc.
    I dont need need anything more detailed than numbered waypoints as I usually have too much information for the slow input methods usually used. Palm pilots and smart phones tend to have too short a life to be worthwile whereas dedicated GPS units seem to last for years.

What I want is a good speed/elevation/HR recording device for riding. Getting guided on new routes would be cool but not critical.

While I understand that I may actually be better off buying 2 units, each one dedicated for the purpose, nothing puts a smile on my face like being out riding and knowing that the taxman helped get me there!

What work will you be using the GPS for?

If you want HR in something that would be useful for "work", I think your only options are the Dakota 20 or Oregon 450/550.

You don't want a Forerunner or an Edge for anything approximating work. It won't "work" well for you. You will need a handheld for that. There are only a couple handhelds that will work with a HRM strap. There's a recent discussion here about that, too.

For what it's worth, I use a TDS (Trimble) Nomad for work purposes. It runs Windows Mobile 6, which is a pretty antique operating system. BUT, modern mobile operating systems don't give you the control you have with the "slimmed-down PC-OS-type" of WinMo 6. I suppose with the much-improved hardware available now, the next evolution of this sort of device will probably be capable of running Windows 7 basic when these companies get around to releasing new versions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I work in pest and weed control, occasionally need to map weeds, when I bait pest animals I need to keep gps records of bait stations. Nothing too fancy, been using a Garmin 2 for many years.
    This isn't for guided spraying - I have a trimble for that, EZ guide 500.

Quote Originally Posted by weedkilla1
    I work in pest and weed control, occasionally need to map weeds, when I bait pest animals I need to keep gps records of bait stations. Nothing too fancy, been using a Garmin 2 for many years.
    This isn't for guided spraying - I have a trimble for that, EZ guide 500.
    You still want a handheld. A forerunner isn't going to cut it.

Look at the newer Garmins. There's no option in there to select for "HRM compatible" but it appears that the models that support wireless data transfers will support a HRM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by weedkilla1
    (...) While I understand that I may actually be better off buying 2 units, each one dedicated for the purpose, nothing puts a smile on my face like being out riding and knowing that the taxman helped get me there!
    I know its not a watch type GPS, but I think you should take a look at Garmin's Oregon series, with optional HR belt and cadence sensor. I have been using the 450 for driving, routing, running, hiking and riding and have so far been entirely satisfied with it.

You can define profiles, personalize them as you see fit (e.g. one for work, one for riding, etc) and switch between them on the fly. It is touchscreen, and the screen is easy to use, even with work gloves.