mtbr member

Need a GPS which one?

Ok I need a easy to use gps.Imposrtant functions would be distance,time,speed,elavation gain and loss calories might be nice also the ability to record tracks . Im looking at the Edge 200 the e trex 10 or possibly e-trex 20. What to get?
    Riding single speed is my Crossfit!

calorie consumption information isn't worth much. it's not very accurate for any device.

as far as the other options, any GPS will provide that info. I would go with an etrex over the Edge 200, though. Even the etrex 10 will give you more control over sampling intervals, which can give you better accuracy on mtb trails. The 20 will give you the ability to load maps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    the eTrex 30 is also pretty nice. adds the ability to read ANT+ devices.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'd agree the Etrex 20/30 is a pretty nice compromise and it's a very nice hiking etc. gps, has the capability to easily take satellite image base maps and can use the speed/HR sensors. Compact, long run time, pretty durable and it's going to do a better job with tracks/routes. If you don't need/want the higher cycling functions (power meter, race against yourself, laps, courses etc.) there's really no reason to go with an edge.

Can anyone verify the Edge 20 won't take Ant+ accessories? Garmin's manual is no help since it's for the 10/20/30 combined. If it does you don't gain much going to the 30 for $100 more aside the electronic 3rd axis compass, barometric altimeter, and unit to unit transfers. I'd definitely go for the etrex 20 over the 10 though, you gain a color display, ability to add maps, more waypoints, routes, tracks, memory card option, etc.

Don't worry about calories, they are all notoriously inaccurate, I think Polar is the only company that has an okay handle on it. The other day I did a 55 minute trainer ride, and my edge 705 said I burned over 2000 calories......I WISH! Usually it's not that bad, but that was a new record.