Thread: Need Cadence?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Need Cadence?

I will be buying a new bike computer and am still wondering if cadence is something I really need. I assume along with heart rate, it is something that will help me improve my overall health and well as riding times. Is it worth the extra money?

GeoMan
    Frankly, most mountain bikers do not buy cadence. Road riders always buy cadence. If you do both, you will want it for your road bike.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    I will be buying a new bike computer and am still wondering if cadence is something I really need. I assume along with heart rate, it is something that will help me improve my overall health and well as riding times. Is it worth the extra money?
    In my opinion, cadence is an efficiency feature and not a fitness feature. Higher rpms are easier on the muscles and let them perform work for a longer time, on long rides, like century rides or road races. I liked cadence when it first came out on bike computers many years ago, since I was a road racer and it helps you learn to spin faster.

On a mountain bike, I always use a bigger gear with lower cadence, since you need that ability to manual and lift the front wheel climbing rocky terrain. As GeoMan states, I do not feel that cadence is a useful feature on a mountain bike. YMMV
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Frankly, most mountain bikers do not buy cadence. Road riders always buy cadence. If you do both, you will want it for your road bike.

sorry, no... some roadies do, some don't, as evidenced by the heated discussions on rbr. it boils down to personal preference.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    sorry, no... some roadies do, some don't, as evidenced by the heated discussions on rbr. it boils down to personal preference.
    Let's make GEOMAN's quote look like this:
    Frankly, most mountain bikers do not buy cadence. Road riders (who buy a fitness GPS from Geomangear) always buy cadence. If you do both, you will want it for your road bike.
    I wonder how many roadies buy a GPS and then do not want cadence and are willing to argue against it on RBR?

Seems a technoweenie (like me ) wants all the bells and whistles, or none at all. I see most roadies in the shop where I work with no computer / GPS of any kind, so I agree with what you state. I suspect that GEOMAN's statement was that if a roadie buys a GPS, they also buy cadence with it.

So are you a roadiegonebad since you seem to be a gps technoweenie too?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I suspect that GEOMAN's statement was that if a roadie buys a GPS, they also buy cadence with it.
    that I would believe... might as well have it all just in case. but it's certainly not what he wrote

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    So are you a roadiegonebad since you seem to be a gps technoweenie too?
    I woudn't say that... I own a gps, but don't use it all that much while riding, maybe 1/10 the time. I even have bikes with no computer at all! I guess I'm now a roadiegonebadthengoodagain or savedroadie since most rides are on the road or at least cx nowadays

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So what exactly does cadence on these computers do? Is it just a sound?

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Well, our GeoMan roadies like cadence and, I agree, it is personal preference.

I defer to slocaus though... He's always right!

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    So what exactly does cadence on these computers do? Is it just a sound?
    No, there's an RPM (cadence) metric on the 705 data screen. The speed/cadence sensor uses magnetic pickups for both the speed function (on the spoke) and the cadence function (on the crank).
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So for mainly trail riding with a mountain bike, cadence isn't something I would need?

While I want a better road bike as well, at this point in time I am not doing much road riding.

I assume I can add the cadence capability to a 705 later on?
    Last edited by Resist; 08-24-2008 at 12:34 PM.