mtbr member
    May 2008

"My Tracks" GPS inaccurate mileage

I'm using the "My Tracks" app on a Google G1 phone. I'm riding a race course that the organizers say is just over 5 miles and it's only recording about 3.8 miles on my unit. Any ideas how this could be happening? There are several places where the trail doubles back and has tight, technical, turns. Is the GPS not taking measurements in small enough intervals? I have noticed that the map My Tracks creates looks smoother than the race map, especially in the technical spots. Could this account for a 20% difference in distance?

Here are the current settings on the app:

Minimum distance between successive points--16ft
    Start new segment if points further apart than--656ft
    Pause recording if accuracy drops below--656ft

I've verified that I rode the course correctly so I'm not missing any sections of trail.

Any help is appreciated.

Read the sticky post at the top of the thread page. In it I talk about accuracy, and what affects it.

You're probably hindered by a less advanced GPS chip compounded by recording frequency (twisty trails will not be recorded as well as straight ones, especially at bike speed. You will get better accuracy if you walk) and the general limitations of using a phone as a GPS (crappy antenna, crappy software, or a whole host of problems).