My thoughts on MapMyRide.com

I've been toying around with various websites for data uploads since Garmin Connect isn't completely satisfactory right now. I looked at Trimble Outdoors recently, and I've spent some time the past few days looking at mapmyride.com. On outward appearances, the site looks pretty roadie-centric, but on closer examination, it handles mtb stuff well, too.

Probably the 1st thing you'll notice is that the maps on the site are from Mapquest, not Google like most others. The site does, however, support sending a track to Google Earth. The maps on the site also offer a topo option, a nice choice for mtb riders. The site also offers the largest big map view I've seen...limited only by your monitor size (mine's 28"WS, so I like to take advantage of my real estate). It can also be used without a GPS, as it supports manual routemaking. Its search functionality seems to work fairly well...MUCH better than motionbased's search tool. Took me a long time to figure out how to find tracks on that site from a specific place. It also supports groups and friends for sharing ride stats and 'virtual competitions'. It's a pretty solid site.

My major complaint with the site is just how many ads it shows on the free accounts. It does have multiple levels of paid accounts that progressively cut down the ads. I'm toying with a paid subscription JUST for cutting the ads, but there are additional features permitted with paid services. However, for now, at least...it seems the site does not limit how many rides you can display on a free account (unlike motionbased used to be).

I do like Trimble Outdoors better for one thing...the ability to geotag photos and put icons on the map. Trimble Outdoors has a better 'trip report' feature, where you can buy some software for your PC to construct nice trip reports with maps, photos, and a story. Mapmyride doesn't offer that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've also toyed with mapmyride.com but how do you load a map you created to a GPS, like the Garmin 705? I haven't figured that part out yet.

If you go to the ride page with the big map (for an already saved ride), there are some tools on the map screen. There's a "Route" tool which allows you to both export as a .gpx and as a .tcx or a .crs file. Doesn't appear to send directly to the GPS, but once you create the file, you can copy that over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here is what I'm doing...

I save the GPX file to my desktop. Then connect the 705 and open the Garmin icon (macbook). I open the garmin folder and then the GPX folder. I copy the file from my desktop to the GPX folder. Then I disconnect the Garmin from the computer and turn it on.
    I press Menu, click on Where to, Saved Rides, and then I get the box stating I have no saved routes.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Maybe I need to use a Windows based PC?

Quote Originally Posted by FastZR1
    Here is what I'm doing...

I save the GPX file to my desktop. Then connect the 705 and open the Garmin icon (macbook). I open the garmin folder and then the GPX folder. I copy the file from my desktop to the GPX folder. Then I disconnect the Garmin from the computer and turn it on.
    I press Menu, click on Where to, Saved Rides, and then I get the box stating I have no saved routes.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Maybe I need to use a Windows based PC?
    I don't use Mac...so I haven't a clue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    I don't use Mac...so I haven't a clue.
    Ahhh man... I thought I was finally going to figure this trash out.

Quote Originally Posted by FastZR1
    Ahhh man... I thought I was finally going to figure this trash out.
    I can try it on mine (Edge 705) to see if it works. I haven't really used mine much yet, though. I only just got it.

I think I found your problem...and no, it's not Mac-specific. Do you hide file extensions? Because I noticed that if you download a .gpx file, what actually gets saved is a .gpx.xml file. If you edit the filename and delete the .xml part, it works just fine. I just did it, and the ride showed up in my saved rides list.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nate,
    Thanks for the help. However, that didn't work for me either. I even tried making a new route and loading that to ensure my original wasn't jacked up. I tried placing the route in different folders in the Garmin too. No joy. I'll fire up the old desktop PC tonight and see what I can come up with later.
    Ed