mtbr member
    Jan 2007

My scenario - which is better, 510, 810, or ?

I want to pre-ride a 29 mile course (Iceman Cometh). I've found .gpx and .tcx files to download. If I get an Edge 510, will that get me from point to point, or do I need to go to an 810 (or something else) with the added navigation features?

The 510 will give you prompts and I think you'll also get a very basic visual reference. But let me reiterate, it will be a VERY basic visual reference. That basic reference will only show your position relative to the course that you are riding. You will see no spatial reference otherwise. Just blank space that will not show you what is beyond what you can see.

If you used an 810, you could load maps and get the prompts as well as see the basemap that shows your current position, where you have been, and where you are headed relative to your surroundings. Terrain, streams, roads, etc.

I am Walt
    Nate, the Garmin Edge Touring Plus will give you the ability for this, correct? I want basic navi capability, as described by Chuck, but also want my basic MTB'ing stats like distance, time, HR, calories, elevation gained. I don't need any cadence or power data, virtual trainer or partner, etc, etch.

Thanks!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was able to dig up some information besides your great response, NateHawk. What I learned/believe is that I can export routes from different sites (RideWithGPS being popular) as .tcx files, and that provides turn by turn directional navigation without maps. So, I won't have maps that show roads or elevations, but I can at least have routing that will keep me on a predetermined trail. I think the 510 will work well for me.

The Edge Touring models have a slightly different play on routing/nav capability. The way that works is more like a car GPS. I do not know how that plays out in real life situations, since I've not had a chance to get my hands on one.

At the base level, yes, the Edge Touring will navigate a downloaded .gpx or .tcx file. I do not know how it differs from the 510/810 models.

The "turn-by-turn" navigation of the 510 consists of beeps and warnings to return to the path you should be following when you deviate from it. It does not tell you "turn left" or "turn right" or any of that before you reach the turn. THAT kind of turn-by-turn requires routable maps. The 810 can take routable maps, and so can the Edge Touring. To get that kind of functionality, you have to tell the GPS to navigate you to your destination. That means you'll have to have routable maps installed AND a waypoint of some kind at your destination. With routable maps, it could be simply an address. It could also be a saved waypoint (like where you parked or something).

This is where the Edge Touring differs with its routing capability, but the basic idea is that it accomplishes the same goal. Someone dug up a thread about it where I posted one of Garmin's videos. That's going to be the best description I can give about it.

mtbr member
    I have a 510. The routing capabilities would be very little help if you didn't already know more or less where you were going. Or, I guess, if you were riding on an isolated trail or country road where there isn't many intersections. But it is useless for route finding in other situations, I think.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am thinking about getting a 510 or rox10. Just for route following. My plan is to get my routes from geoladders.com and other ride sites.

How hard is it to follow a route like that on a 510. Is there a considerable difference between the sigma or garmin?

For instance how would any of these devices work on a route like this?

Geoladders -- Lang Ranch Trails

Will you be able to follow a track like that with the little screen without stopping.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more