mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Is my HRM defective?

My HRM (Cateye CC-RD420DW) will appear to be working correctly then all of a sudden say my heart rate is 60-70, then 150, then settle back at 120-130. I also find it odd that it never goes above 150 even when I am DYING. Is my strap in the wrong spot? Is it defective? I have the sensor just under my left pec.

At the time this happens, are you pre-workout (dry) standing still, well into a workout and dripping sweat but otherwise standing still, moving with jersey flapping, are you in a specific location (like near high tension lines) or what? What are the exact circumstances when this occurs?

Do you use a HRM conductor gel?

How old are you? What is your calculated max HR?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    28, 185-196 depending on formula, no gel

While training. Only used it twice so both times were cold, but still sweating a little. It has happened in the middle of nowhere and in town--seemingly random.

The standard recommendations apply here. First, try a baselayer between jersey and strap. Also get some HRM contact gel (drug store product).

Also, many HRMs have wacky readings when one or both of the batteries starts getting low. But especially the one in the strap. Even if it's new, the battery could be low depending on how long it sat on a shelf before it became yours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi,
    I have exactly the same problem but it seems to be on the regular basis. It is garmin hrm and edge 500. Sometimes it goes to correct reading, but most of the time it is incorrect.
    I have been using edge 500 for more then four years and it is my second hrm. I have replaced the battery and putting some moisture on sensors before riding.
    Problem appeared 2-3 weeks ago, before it was ok.
    Should I consider getting a new hrm, or it is a problem with edge?

Ride More, Whine Less

Is my HRM defective?

I just give mine a big lick right before starting. That has always worked. If the battery is fresh, I would try washing the strap and then using either gel or a big lick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    seems to be an issue with strap. I coupled strap from my first HRM with a transmitter unit from second HRM. Today it worked well.
    However, there are lots of threads on this subject in google and in 90% of cases it is a faulty strap.
    here is an interesting solution from dcrainmaker:
    A solution to heart rate dropouts/spikes with Garmin HR Soft Straps | DC Rainmaker

mtbr member
    I had similar issues with the Garmin hrm soft strap that came with my Edge 810 and ran down the list Natehawk mentioned. Nothing worked for more than a few days, in the end I replaced the strap with the Polar one from DC Rainmakers blog and the problems vanished instantly.
    Alea Jacta Est