It's soil, not dirt!

My how things have changed!

The last time I looked into getting a cyclocomputer was about 15 years ago and there weren't that many choices.

Now I look someplace like Performance or Nashbar and there are hundreds of models! GPS, HR, cadence, wireless...Geez! I'm surprised theere aren't some out there that change a flat for you too!

Anyway, I just want a basic model that will give me distance (total and trip), speed, time, and thats about it. Wireless is intriguing, I'm all for simplification.

So what are the good brands/models these days? There are so many that I lost motivation to research them all so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Two Tired
    Try a Cateye. I have an Enduro 8 that does everything you are looking for and a few more things. It is simple and reliable. The only thing I had to do was to change the battery once. It just sits on my handlebars and does its job year round, rain or shine. I think the price is in the $20-30 range. Others units may be similar, but I have not looked for a replacement.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Absolutely the best wireless transmitter out there right now is the digital one VDO is using with their DS series (on their C- and Z- models).

I say this after some research attempting to find a wireless computer that could reliably receive a signal from the front wheel to the rear (stoker) handlebar on our tandem. This is the only one that came back with a thumbs-up from various users, and is working perfectly for us.

I have a non-digital wireless VDO MC1.0+ on my solo bikes, and that works well enough (despite the lack of the DS transmitter), as I'm sure do any of the offerings from Cateye, Vetta, and some of the other established brands.

I've had/seen trouble with some off-branded wireless stuff, so just be careful of the $20 too-good-to-be-true units.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    I'm also very happy with my simplistic $30 Enduro 8 that does everything I want for cycling info. I've tried the wireless route and found that the complication of multiple batteries and the disturbance from and to my Garmin gps wasn't worth any implied advantage of not having an extra wire going to the fork.
    Scars are like tattoos - only with better memories...