mtbr member
    Dec 2008

My first HRM - which one?

Hi everyone.
    I need an HRM. I already have a "normal" cycling computer.

The available options in my country are:

• Many Sigma models (not cycling computers, but they include handlebar mount)
    • Trek ACH Digital
    • Trek Link Team
    • Polar CS300
    • Polar s725x
    • Other Polar models (not cycling computers, but they include handlebar mount)

So... where should I point to? Polar models have TONS of features which I don't know if I need...
    I haven't found much info about the Trek models anywhere. Does anybody have any experience with them as HRMs?

The most expensive options are the Polar ones, and the least expensive are the Sigma.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've been using a Polar F6 (wristwatch) for cycling the past 2 years until I purchased my Edge 705. It works great, uploads data to polar website via computer microphone, and has proven very durable. Handlebar mount won't be necessary after a couple of months...you won't even look at the HRM...you will know by feel what your HR is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have both the Garmin 305 and Polar.

IMHO, the Polars are spendy for what you get. I still use mine for indoors where GPS is unavailable. For any outdoor activity the Garmin is around nine million times more useful. Aside from HR its nice to know your mileage, speed and training activity on the fly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm looking to buy a Polar F7 (F6 is discontinued). Is it a good option?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leoh
    I'm looking to buy a Polar F7 (F6 is discontinued). Is it a good option?
    The F7 is a good unit. I was trying to decide between the F7 and spending a little more for a Garmin Forerunner 305. I ended up getting the Garmin so I could track things on the computer more easily and have the GPS capabilities(Speed/pace/distance). But the F7 is a very capable and high quality unit. It comes highly recommended by my local shops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I ended up with a Polar F7. I've had it for a week and I like it very much.
    I can't compare with anything else (other than with a much older Polar Protrainer NV).
    I'm happy with my choice.