Mtn View, CA

my cheesy mickey mouse blackberry mount

I don't have a smart phone or a gps unit and I'm cheap so I asked the phone lady in IT if she had any returned phones from people who had upgraded. She had a box full of Blackberries so I picked the best of the worst. It's a Blackberry Curve and I downloaded GPSLoggerII from emacberry. It works fine except for the battery life. I do have to download the gps file and convert it to .gpx before uploading to Strava. It's a hassle but not a big deal.
    Biggest problem was that I would put it in my jersey pocket and every now and then a button would get pushed accidentally and stop the logging. So I cruised through the free stock bins in manufacturing to come up with some sort of bike mount. I stuck a couple adhesive back ribbon cable clips onto the back. Put a zip tie around it to keep it from separating and then used a couple velcro straps to secure it to my stem. I've been through some rough sections and it hasn't fallen off yet. I have not had any issues with the logging either. Best part is total cost is $0.

Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

More Torque
    Nice way to scrounge out of the parts bin...nothing like a free score!

You could also attach a small leash under the zip tie and attach it to the handlebar, if you wanted some sort of backup protection from ejection. Looks pretty solid though.

-D

banned
    Aug 2012
    Nice, very innovative, and I agree with Diesel, it looks solid.

aka mtbdennis
    Thanks for sharing! I actually have an old blackberry laying around and was just thinking about getting a garmin, now I am double thinking that decision

Talentless Hack
    Maybe see if there are any (slightly) newer batteries lying around. My BB gets 10+ hours of logging with endomondo, and that's with me also using it to call people and stuff.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

aka mtbdennis
    I am going to use this solution until the Garmin goes on sale, thanks for the idea... Now I just need to hunt down some of those velcro straps and the sticky clips you used... Where did you get them? I am guessing something like Office Depot, Staples, etc...