Thread: My 705 died

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

My 705 died

Fired up the 705....and a text screen came up that started with Software version and a long list
    Did a soft reset ( reset + mode)
    Got it to start and go to the regular screen....but none of the buttons had any function.
    Called tech support....they had me soft reset again....and then hard reset.( mode and power)
    Same result.
    Did it once more....and now it won't start at all.
    Any ideas before I send it back??

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Is it fully charged?

Things that have adversely affected my 705 include:

bad battery (easily replaced and costs less than $25 at amazon)

full memory (attach to the PC/mac and browse the device memory to find the history folder and manually delete the files)

Currently my 705 will start booting then die, when I start it up the second time it's fine. I suspect a hard reset will fix it. But I am having to do a lot of work to keep it running. It seems I need to hard reset every two weeks or so.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the reply.
    I also posted over at the Garmin forum.....got some great advice on how to reformat and reload the firm ware.
    But Garmin support offered me an exchange for 60 bucks....which I went for because the nub on my thumb button wore off and I had a scratch on the screen.

I never had an issue with it in 4 years...except for 1 fubar'd file.
    I did let the memory fill up. And the last time I used it it was pouring rain ( maybe water got in through the torn nub) and I was beat after the race...so I was floundering while saving/shutting it off .

Got the replacement in a few days and support helped me move my profile over....and I'm good as new!

I still might try the software reload on the old unit before I send it back

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Just curious Mayor, did Garmin initially offer you the $60 exchange or did you haggle with them about it? The reason I ask is I too have a 705 & was about to send it back for an exchange....for $110 + shipping (I'm in AZ). It ended up only being a battery issue, so I kept it. Thanks.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth