Loser
    Mar 2008

Mounting on the stem

I have a Cateye Micro Wireless bike computer. I was doing some rocky stuff the other day and I guess one of the mounting pieces got jolted off. This is not good, and I am really lucky the computer didn't rip off with the rest of the stuff. It was just hanging loosely on the bars, spinning around the rest of the ride.

Anyway, I am thinking of mounting my computer on the stem instead of the handlebars. This would probably work better and the device might be a little better protected. The problem I am having is that the mounting pieces for the Cateye have curvature that allows them to fit on the handlebars (front to back curvature). The stem on the other hand has left to right curvature. The current system works by placing the mounting pieces on the bar and clamping it down with zip ties.

Is there any part that would allow me to mount the computer securely on the stem? I need something where the bottom has left/right curvature while the top has front/back curvature. Or does anyone have any ideas on how I could make a device to accomplish this?

Here are some pictures if you don't get what I am saying.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Waypointer
    Jun 2008
    In a situation like this, you could employ four zip ties.

I assume the mount is originally designed such that two zip ties go inside the two curved flanges. Put two through as normal (without the mount on the bar), and pull them tight and cut off the tails.

Those two zip ties now form a mount that goes on the stem. Two more zip ties will attach it.

This is a total hack of course, but it may work just fine. And it's easy to remove if it doesn't work out.