hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Motorola Motoactv

Hi,
    Does anyone have any experiences with this unit off road ? Please share your opinion, the price is not too bad, same price with Garmin Edge 200 but can be rooted to get android play store....
    Thanks.
    HVC

mtbr member
    I use it exclusively on my mtb. It does everything I need it to. HR monitor, time, speed, cadence, maps my rides (gps), if I had a crank that measures power output it could do that to. It seems like a very intuitive device. I accidentally left it in my riding shorts and it went through a whole wash cycle. It surprisingly survived with the exception of the battery not holding a charge as long as it did.

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for your replying. I have it on order, it should be here soon. Do i really need to get "Speed Cadence Sensor", all i want is the altitude, burning calories, lengh and time of the ride. Did you get it rooted, thanks again.
    HVC

mtbr member
    For what you need all you would need is a HR monitor for calorie burn. Although it seems to calculate calorie burn better with the cadence sensor... It just seems to vary about 200kcal without the cadence. I rode the other day and my cadence sensor want registering and I burned 800kal the next day I did the same trail in the same gear and I only burned 600 with the cadence sensor working. GPS will log your speed and altitude without any extra sensors

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks again........... that's all i need.........about burning calories i just minus 200 should be good right.
    Thanks
    HVC

Quote Originally Posted by hvc View Post
    Thanks again........... that's all i need.........about burning calories i just minus 200 should be good right.
    Thanks
    HVC
    Um, no. No calorie estimation method on a wristtop computer isn't going to be accurate. They are all estimates, and they may not all even be consistent measurements. Always take calorie consumption estimates with a grain of salt and really just consider that on one activity, you burned more calories than on another.

If the same device tells you that you burned 500 calories during one activity, and 1000 calories on another, even if it's the SAME route, you cannot say that you burned twice as many calories on your second activity. The estimates are just not that good. Conditions like wind, temperature, and all of that are not taken into account yet they make a big difference in how hard you work. Addition of data from different sensors (HRM, cadence data, etc) tells some of the story, but not all of it.
    Last edited by NateHawk; 10-10-2012 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    I would agree that any computer that you enter a limited amount data is just going to be an estimate. Even if you were going at a constant pace, with a constant incline, for a certain amount of time, knowing what your relative VO2 is, Heart Rate Max, and factoring in your body weight along with temperature...you would still be estimating the amount of kcals you would be burning during that exercise bout. From what I have gathered with the motoactv, is it does factor in body weight, along with Heart Rate and time spent within a particular HR zone along with cadence to estimate kcal burn. Temperature is a BIG part of energy expenditure and unfortunately there is no portable device that takes that into consideration when estimating.

I got ahead of myself and didn't explain the difference in kcal burn in 2 different rides. All my rides have been inconsistent in kcals burned, I would have to say that looking at the data on average I burn an estimated 500kcal per ride on a 50min 8mi track. Looking back to the times I didn't have a cadence sensor my kcal burn were way higher than the times that I did have a sensor, so a cadence sensor does seem to have some factor in kcal burn and puts it definitely a more believable range.

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thanks a lot for all of your explainations..........i'm going to enjoy this new toy - Motoactv.
    Happy Trailing