mtbr member

MotionX lite vs the paid version

So took a mtb ride w/ my polar RS800cx and compared it to motionx i had downloaded to my iphone. Mapping feature was neat as I did not get the gps add on for the polar. Though the map was quite accurate riding in the woods, the data was quite off. I assume this was because the motionx did not keep track and include in it's speed/distance calculation the elevation lost and gained. I know my polar is really accurate (compared it to the garmins 500 on group rides), and it showed my avg speed being 10.1 mph over two hours, while the motionx had me at 7.7mph. Now my question is, if I get the full version, is this fixed? Does it calculate elevation gained/lost into the avg speed and distance? Thx
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

Combining Old and Bold
    I'm going to suggest going to the Motion X page on Facebook and posting up the question for them there. They seem to have answered all questions posed to them. My answer would be just conjecture.

Things like recording frequency make a big difference. Can you alter that setting? If not, does the app even state what recording frequency it uses? The error you see could also have its roots with some hardware limitations, too, but those would be more challenging to quantify. It'd require a direct head-to-head comparison with other apps, dedicated GPS receivers, and computers.