mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Model specific recommendation

Hello,

I've read the sticky and other threads and I think the Garmin 800 is my next GPS.

I'm looking for a GPS that can upload maps so I can explore/follow new trails off of Strava user maps on my mtn bike

If there are any superior options, please let me know...

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am new to using a GPS and recently bought an 800. wont say other models are bad or incapable, but the 800 is excellent at mapping. So far I'm impressed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've got the 800 and mapping is great.

you'll have to load the OSM maps of your area. That map that comes with the bundle is good for roads, not so much trails.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mostly any mapping handheld model will work just as well for navigation.

Get an Edge if fitness functionality and sensors are a high priority. Some of the better mapping handhelds can also make use of those sensors if you have a more passing interest in them.

I really don't care about the fitness functionality so much, and an Oregon 450 works great for what I want. It has a more limited feature set for fitness purposes which works for what I want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Keep in mind

You can get an edge 200 and an oregon 450 for the price of a edge 800. You night also consider an edge 305. The prices have come way down and you will be able to download rides from strava into it and follow them. It just has very basic navigation capability.

Personally I think the edge 800 is a great unit but its a little too expensive and lets face it most things attached to a MTB are evertually going to get broken.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me