mtbr member

Missing strava segments in rides

This month I have started getting missed segments on my regular rides. Using a Samsung S2 and strava App since November and have had no issues with segments prior.
    Is anyone else noticing they are missing segments this month that normally show on their rides?

One of my regular rides the trail head's just 4 minutes from home I have created 2 segments for this ride, a 16.8km and 7km wooded segment. Strava site shows all the 35 times I rode the 16.8km segments prior to May, this month only 2 of the 5 times I have ridden the segment show. Example Monday nights ride Smith Stream ride near Kaiapoi rode the segments twice that night and 16.8km and 7km segments only show once.

Another regular ride around McLeans Forest MTB Park on Saturday Mcleans Forest Ride then home via Templars Island track the McLeans Island (long Loop) segment I did 4 laps and only shows 1. Also did 3 laps around the segment on 4th May and only 1 shows.

I have Google missing segments but nothing recent shows up, a mention of it in strava forum in 2012 on gps shift but I have had no issue with segments prior to this month.
    Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

Happens all the time. It is just part of the way strava works.

I also get assigned to segments I only rode part of

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Happens all the time. It is just part of the way strava works.

I also get assigned to segments I only rode part of
    It's just that this month is 1st time I had those segments missed on my rides since I joined in Nov, 100% success rate till now, this month those segments so far have a 25% - 40% chance of getting picked up on my ride. I'm just wondering if Strava has changed something at the start of the month on the phone app or server side that is affecting other strava members as well, not just me. If it's just me it could be problem with my phone. They mention in their knowledge base on their Segment Matching Issues "we look first at the start and endpoints" & "we make sure that at least 75% of the data in between matches the segment data" My map data points do not show deviating much off the data segments. I have seen segments where you can deviate off the segment data points, take a different road and still get included. An example is a 730m hill climb segment I created up Mt Thomas. Strava Segment | Mt Thomas, gate to summit I go up Lundy Rd and the other 2 on the leaderboard go straight up Forestdale Rd.

Also prior to this month at McLeans MTB park there is a McLeans Forest (short Loop) segment which gets added to your ride every McLeans Forest (long Loop) segment you do as it's the same single track, just misses out a 5km loop. This month the short loop segment doesn't show unless you only do the short loop segment.

Edit. Also seen on short segments where riders are riding along a 4 wheel track close to the segment and get picked up as riding the segment even though they haven't.
    Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

Lots of things could be going on. Maybe the segments got reported and are no longer taking times. Maybe the space weather is degrading gps satellite signals resulting in lower accuracy. Maybe strava is just being strava and its algorithm failed to match segments correctly.

Short answer, don't lose sleep over it. The trail will still be there tomorrow regardless of whether strava works or not.