mtbr member

Which Maps for a 705

For mtb which maps would be best. I have the city navigator road maps.
    Are there maps that have trail routes already on them?

HR

mtbr member
    I was also checking into this, on the Garmin site, some have an interactive preview. The one I was interested in did not have a preview though. When I checked the full US topo it did not have any trails or FS roads when I had a quick look. They have a confusing array of maps which seem to overlap so it is hard to know which one to get (Whole US, Nat Parks, and 2 types of topo maps).

trail rat
    GPS File Depot, go to www.gpsfiledepot.com and see if the free maps there will work for you. Then look at the Garmin maps. The National Geographic, DeLorme, and so on maps will not load to your Garmin. Some Topo maps have some trails, some do not. Newer trails often do not exist. You can download tracks from Garmin Connect or MotionBased or GeoLadders, and at least a dozen other GPS track respositories.

And do not be afraid to browse through the other threads in this forum. You have tons of information at your fingertips here.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    So, if I have a topo and a road map, will they layer on top of each other or do i have to choose one?

HR

trail rat
    They will not really layer. The map with the most detail will be the map displayed. That is usually the city maps vs the topo maps. In my experience, comparing Garmin CityNav vs Garmin Topo, and the Ibycus vs CA Topo from gps file depot. Garmin CityNav displays blocking Ibycus if both are enabled, due to the POI detail and routing. CA Topo blocks the Garmin Topo, due to it having 20' contours vs the Garmin 1:100000 detail (or lack thereof).
    CCCMB web - Facebook

It's carbon dontcha know.
    You can enable or disable maps in the options, I just turn the road/topo maps off/on as appropriate for the ride I'm doing.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    You can enable or disable maps in the options, I just turn the road/topo maps off/on as appropriate for the ride I'm doing.
    Yes, of course. The question was whether one would overlay on the other so that you can see the detail of both, the answer to that is no, the one with more detail is the only one displayed.

I do the same as you, enable only the map I need on a given ride, depending on bike and where I ride.
    CCCMB web - Facebook