Thread: Maps..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Maps..

For Garmin models, do you have a varity of choices when it comes to selecting maps to download/buy and use or are the different types limit by what Garmin will and will not work with and if there are options, what are people using.. cheers

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    For highway navigation I'm using Garmin's City Navigator North America. For MTBing, their TopoCanada maps.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I use free topos from www.gpsfiledepot.com.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    +1 www.gpsfiledepot.com

www.motionbased.com I know a lot of people hate it with a passion but I have found all sorts of variances to the local rides and it is a huge help when I am traveling.

www.geoladders.com It takes a bit of work but lots of options are there

www.connect.garmin.com It is the update to motionbased. It just has a ways to go.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am seeing stuff for city nav and stuff for Topo - but what is the difference.

I have an option of getting City Nav Europe or Topo UK. Pricing is not that much difference but I want to get one (perferable the most useful) not both if I don't need them. cheers..

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    The city nav is going to display the roads and maybe points of interest. You may be able to create routes where you tell the system "I am here and I want to go there" and it will create a route just like a car based GPS does. You need to check the program for this capability.

The topo may show major streets or highways but not all. The primary function of a topo map is to create lines of elevation so you can use the terrain for navigation. You will be able to "see" hills, valleys, rivers, etc on the unit. You can plot a trail but it usually does not support the routing function that the city map does.

For mountain biking and hiking, I prefer the topo maps over the street maps. Most units can handle both so if they are in your price range, get and load both.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy
    The city nav is going to display the roads and maybe points of interest. You may be able to create routes where you tell the system "I am here and I want to go there" and it will create a route just like a car based GPS does. You need to check the program for this capability.

The topo may show major streets or highways but not all. The primary function of a topo map is to create lines of elevation so you can use the terrain for navigation. You will be able to "see" hills, valleys, rivers, etc on the unit. You can plot a trail but it usually does not support the routing function that the city map does.

For mountain biking and hiking, I prefer the topo maps over the street maps. Most units can handle both so if they are in your price range, get and load both.
    Yep. For urban trails, I tend to prefer using city nav maps for the autorouting and because urban parks with topo lines AND roads AND POI's can get awful cluttered. Taking out the contours makes the map more readable. For remote trails, I prefer topo maps because I can use contours for navigation. I have both sets loaded on my GPS for my area at the same time, so I can use either as the situation calls.