Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mapping Rides

Mapping Rides

I'm not looking for equipment discussion...I have equipment I'm happy with.

What I'm curious about is an easy, efficient means to display ride data on a map and share that map.

I've used motionbased for awhile, but I'm tired of the issues, and waiting for support for my GPS on Garmin Connect. I've spent a lot of money on GIS software, but it's not ideal for simply showing a ride on a map with relevant stats. I want simple. I'm reevaluating my choices.

It would be nice, if like motionbased, I could use it for other activities and tag them as a mountain bike ride, a paddling trip, or whatever.

Is there such a monster out there that is more reliable than motionbased?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just started using Sporttracks.... It doesn't recognize my Garmin Venture CX, but I download everything in EasyGPS and save it as a GPX... then import it into Sporttrack. It shows my tracks on a map and downloads weather details, corrects for elevation, adds up my miles, etc. etc. OH yeah, and its free!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    He said an easy way to share---sportstracks is local machine based..?

Quote Originally Posted by abramsgunner
    I just started using Sporttracks.... It doesn't recognize my Garmin Venture CX, but I download everything in EasyGPS and save it as a GPX... then import it into Sporttrack. It shows my tracks on a map and downloads weather details, corrects for elevation, adds up my miles, etc. etc. OH yeah, and its free!

Oh, I have plenty of programs to download and view. Like I said in my OP, I've spent a small fortune on technical GIS software for my personal use. But it's not simple. Motionbased, for example, uses its own app to download map data. I don't want to convert from one program to another to another. That defeats my desire of EASY.

I just don't like waiting till Monday to download, when I have the time to do it Saturday or Sunday because the system sucks (motionbased). What's the point of mapping my rides if I can't easily share via Google Earth or some other app? I might as well leave the GPS home or throw it in my pack, wasting the time and effort it took to make my stem mount.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Yes, Sport Tracks is not a web app but it is only one click to export the data to google earth format (kml) so that the file can be emailed. Of course, only basic data is available (start and finish times etc)

You can also export Garmin MapSource data to Google Earth easily and the speed and heart rate data is also shown. I haven't figured out a way of making the display very attractive, however. The track comes out as a thick black line.

Quote Originally Posted by PVR
    Yes, Sport Tracks is not a web app but it is only one click to export the data to google earth format (kml) so that the file can be emailed. Of course, only basic data is available (start and finish times etc)

You can also export Garmin MapSource data to Google Earth easily and the speed and heart rate data is also shown. I haven't figured out a way of making the display very attractive, however. The track comes out as a thick black line.
    Sporttracks is a start.

I don't want to e-mail to share, however. I want to be able to post the track somewhere that people can view at their leisure. I like how motionbased links with facebook to show a list of recent activities a person can click on and view all the details. A different, more functional, but similar service that also links with facebook or gives a good direct link (or better yet, one that allows forum embedding) for sharing would be best. I know about mapsource...I just don't like it for anything other than putting maps on my GPS.

Does the paucity of responses indicate that motionbased has no serious competitors and that I should put together my own site/app even though I can't even program a calculator?

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    ...Does the paucity of responses indicate that motionbased has no serious competitors and that I should put together my own site/app even though I can't even program a calculator?
    Sounds like a plan to me!

My GPS is supported by Garmin Connect and, after playing with my uploaded data on the site for a few minutes, I can't say I am a fan of the interface.Your own website would certainly give you more flexibility and allow you to directly link to Facebook, even if you only had Google Earth files to start with while you located/developed an app to display the data you want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    When I want to share a ride with other people, I put it on www.mtbguru.com. It has a google-based map display, basic stats, photo tagging, and allows others to download the ride. It has been quite reliable for me. It will only accept .gpx files so .tcx files need to be converted first. Topofusion works well for that though there are several other ways to do the conversion. I use it for the rides I want to share, and use sporttracks to log my workouts and effort level.

Quote Originally Posted by PVR
    Sounds like a plan to me!

My GPS is supported by Garmin Connect and, after playing with my uploaded data on the site for a few minutes, I can't say I am a fan of the interface.Your own website would certainly give you more flexibility and allow you to directly link to Facebook, even if you only had Google Earth files to start with while you located/developed an app to display the data you want.
    Anyone who knows programming want to get with me on this idea? I don't know squat about it and couldn't implement it, but I have the ideas.

anyone use www.mapmyride.com? saw the ads during the tour and decided to look. looks like an option, also seems to be a mapmyhike.com, too. more features than motionbased it seems.

WooHoo Biking!!!!
    I have used mapmyride.com and it is awesome. I have mapped a road ride at home and uploaded it to my Garmin 705. It is pretty cool.
    -V

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So far, I like everytrail.com Free, you can upload from phones or standard devices, overlays the plot onto google maps and gives basic stats of the trip. Allows geo tagged photos to be associated to the trip, and allows people to download the file for their device.

Quote Originally Posted by chiplikestoridehisbike
    So far, I like everytrail.com Free, you can upload from phones or standard devices, overlays the plot onto google maps and gives basic stats of the trip. Allows geo tagged photos to be associated to the trip, and allows people to download the file for their device.
    Do I have to upload geotagged photos to the service or can it link to another service? For example, I use Flickr for photo storage, and it allows manual geotagging. I usually give my photos a general location, like all photos from a ride might get tagged for the TH, but I'd rather not have to upload photos to two services if I was going to use that feature.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    They have a flickr import tab so I guess you would have to load them. It is a free website, give it a try and see how it works for you.

trail rat
    I have been following this idea, and think it is good, but I have no programming skills at all. In my searches for trail info, I have always wished for what you state, MB just frustrated me no end.

Here is an interesting article on GPSTrackLog.com titled Garmin, trails, and missed opportunities.
    I see no reason Garmin canít utilize their MotionBased data to build a better trail map. They could decide how many tracks they would need for a given trail, and how much error was allowed before throwing out a track. A little follow up by hand (and even this could be automated) could establish trail junctions and where they connect to the nearest road (i.e., trailheads).
    It is an interesting read. If you look at where he has the multiple trails on the map, you can see where the ability of TopoFusion to make a trail network is so useful. Maybe you can recruit Krein to build an online site using the power of TopoFusion and use his forums and MTBR to get the users to upload trails, then have trail networks built?

Maybe a pipe dream huh?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    ...you can see where the ability of TopoFusion to make a trail network is so useful. Maybe you can recruit Krein to build an online site using the power of TopoFusion and use his forums and MTBR to get the users to upload trails, then have trail networks built?

Maybe a pipe dream huh?
    Where's Krein...we need a Topofusion update that allows online sharing! Put it in and your software might do the trick (and I'd buy it).

plasma donor
    I don't know much at all about Garmin or the Motionbased system, but I do know the GPSed setup is pretty cool. Not sure how, or even if you can export to their servers, or if they offer what you're looking for, but no harm in checking them out. Another I've heard good things about, altho I've never played with it, is the Track Me software on Luis Espinozas website. These are designed around phones rather than dedicated GPS computers, but if you can make one of these systems work...

http://gpsed.com/

http://www.luisespinosa.com/trackme_eng.html#S4

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm not looking for equipment discussion...I have equipment I'm happy with.

What I'm curious about is an easy, efficient means to display ride data on a map and share that map.

I've used motionbased for awhile, but I'm tired of the issues, and waiting for support for my GPS on Garmin Connect. I've spent a lot of money on GIS software, but it's not ideal for simply showing a ride on a map with relevant stats. I want simple. I'm reevaluating my choices.

It would be nice, if like motionbased, I could use it for other activities and tag them as a mountain bike ride, a paddling trip, or whatever.

Is there such a monster out there that is more reliable than motionbased?
    Mate, Have a look at http://www.oziexplorer.com/ maybe what your chasing. Not sure but can't hurt to look.

Al

local trails rider
    I put the tracks from my GPS phone on http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/main/index.do

It is really aimed at Nokia phones but you can import GPX files into it. It displays a limited number of points so the displayed track gets a bit rough if it is a longer ride.
    An example: http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/w....do?id=1453943

Seriously? Phone software?

I asked about software I could use to share GPS data collected with a real GPS.

One guy suggests some SW that MIGHT work on the local computer (not quite what I was asking for...but anyway)...and that brings out people just promoting phone software like that's what I'm looking for. NO! I have a real GPS. Also, I did mention I have PLENTY of very expensive and very good software for visualizing GPS data. Think Garmin Connect, MapMyRide, stuff like that. Right now, I'm thinking I'll just be patient with Garmin Connect. Some cool new features just got added.

Hack Racer
    I miss motionbased.com

was the best. displayed detailed data rather than dumbed down data like garmin connect. You could look up other people's rides and download their course/ride to your garmin edge unit. Great for finding MTB trails...

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    You could look up other people's rides and download their course/ride to your garmin edge unit. Great for finding MTB trails...
    You can still do that with Connect, click on the Explore tab. I guess I do not understand. Here is the link to one of my rides. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2683786

I did not use MB much since it seems it always took about 5 tries to upload and was always overloaded, so I do not know what was missing. I have been using Connect since I got my 705, but only really so others can share my data. TopoFusion is my mapping software and SportTracks for fitness tracking.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

I agree. MB was crap. I went on there today to try to save my old activities to my pc in case some didn't get transferred (and I'd be able to do a manual upload later) and the website crapped out on me every time. Maybe it had some nice features, but I could never use them because the site couldn't handle the traffic. GC has at least been a stable site and I've had no trouble loading. I've only tried uploading tracks a couple of times as I tried working out some weird anomalies to one of my activities resulting from the transfer. Got it figured out and fixed. I'm not so interested in using GC for mapping or for more than basic training info. The real utility for me is in sharing my activities, and GC has that down pretty good so far.

As for training software, we'll see what ends up working best for me. My Edge 705 will arrive next week, as well as my Tanita scale. Both devices have their own tracking software, so I'll be trying them out to see how I like them. If neither works for me, then I'll try something else.

For mapping, I don't think Google Earth is quite the best solution. It's good for general use and for sharing (I was just recently conversing with a guy today about a TH location for some trails, as neither the USFS map nor GE gave all of the right details to set a waypoint from the pc. Someone will have to mark a waypoint at that TH in person sometime). I really like NG Topo! but would prefer better compatibility with tracks. I may try out topofusion to compare, but I do generally prefer topo maps over aerial photos.

local trails rider
    Seriously? Phone software?

I asked about software I could use to share GPS data collected with a real GPS.
    So, give us a list of stuff you want the service to have.
    If you want to share, it is a service you need. Right?

I SHARE tracks from my phone GPS. The same service can take data from s "real" GPS too, if you are able to get a GPX file. Whether the service is up to your high expectations is a different matter.

plasma donor
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    So, give us a list of stuff you want the service to have.
    If you want to share, it is a service you need. Right?

I SHARE tracks from my phone GPS. The same service can take data from s "real" GPS too, if you are able to get a GPX file. Whether the service is up to your high expectations is a different matter.
    I'm getting the idea that the number one prerequisite is that the service not be compatible with phones. Maybe a bad childhood experience?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast