bike rider

Making a map on an Edge 605 705

I'm hoping for some help here. I called Garmin a couple times and got no where. Also, I searched here and elsewhere.
    I've loaded a US Topo map on my new Edge 605 (2 gig card) and now I'm trying to overlay it with a map of all the trails in my area, one that I can view on the main map screen with my current position. I've been riding around with the timer running and a breadcrumb trail forming. After the ride I can see the trail on the main map screen but the next day when I start mapping another trail the earlier one disappears from the main map and can only be viewed by reviewing that specific ride under "History". This doesn't let me see all the trails I've made at once and doesn't let me see my current possition. Basically, I'm thinking I've wasted my money on this thing and it can't do what I'm asking of it. Please tell me you know how to make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    The 605 doesn't seem to do bread crumbs the same as other Garminators.
    Hopefully that will change and they'll add in some more "standard" GPS behavior.

What you can do is in Settings, select Where To and choose something from History.
    It will highlight that specific days detail in a this pink/purple color. The good news is it stands out better than regular bread comes. The bad news is it's a little over the top.

I was able to take tracks from my old GPS and name/save them to an SD card, so I was somehow able to get a bunch of "trail maps" on there that way. But I can only have one displaying at a time. I can try to remember more detail on how if it helps...
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    There's info on the WWW for making custom maps, using free/shareware software, that you can then upload to the devices like the 605/705 and other garmin mapping gps.

Doing that from the tracklogs you have would be the only way I can see of making it work like you want.

If you don't want to do that, maybe you should sell it/trade it for a less bike specific unit like the GPSMAP60 or -76 series device (or one of the newer Colorado/Oregon units).

No, I don't have links for the former handy. Google searching for "custom garmin gps map howto" may start you on the right path. Maybe.

bike rider
    Thanks for the help guys.

trail rat
    I answered in another thread, but here it is again:

I have a 305 and a 60CSx - neither will do that. I am not sure any GPS will do what you desire. It can be done on a computer - TopoFusion has a trail network feature that is exactly what you want, but I see no way to load it into the 705, or any GPS that I am familiar with, unless you want to do a custom map to load into your GPS. This link might do what you seek.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

bike rider
    And thank you one more time. I've finally got time to sit down and look at these so we'll see how it goes.

bike rider
    This looks like it. For anyone else wishing to do the same, here you go. Many thanks to those who helped.