Thread: magellan triton

out of shape

magellan triton

anyone try one of these http://www.magellangps.com/products/...25&prodID=1910

they look pretty cool, lots of models and prices
    doylestown pa
    SS cannondale F6

mtbr member
    I got a triton 500 for xmas....

Such potential, but I would not recommend one. There are soooo many bugs and issues with them. My experiences so far all point to the fact they are very very unreliable. They do seem to be fixing the million issues they have... ever so slowly.

I have used it on maybe 6-7 rides so far, of which I have successfully recorded 1 full ride. The rest of the time the unit froze, turned off, stopped recording.... The first couple was user error though, the default setting on these things is to turn itself off after 5 minutes. Which I don't fully understand.

Plus you also need to buy NG topo to do the whole topo raster map basemaps (which is very very cool I admit). And thats another $100. Also... so far the only programs that can do something with them are their VantagePoint software (terrible) and NG Topo.

However, I will say if they can get their crap together and make them actually work reliably, they might just have something.... it does have some redeeming features overall, just right now = not so good.
    Crankfire.com / New Englandish Mountain Biking Community

Scott in Tucson
    Nathan,

Thanks for posting your experience with the Triton. It helps confirms the rumors I've heard -- buggy and very poor software support.

I don't know what Magellan is thinking in not allowing 3rd party support. They haven't released any spec for communicating with the unit.

I'd definitely stay away from the Tritons until they fix the bugs and offer better software support.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    No problem, glad I can help... to be fair though, it does have some nice points... its pretty solid feeling, the screen is nice, the menu system seems user friendly....

But yeah, I'm with you - I can't believe they haven't opened up any api's for "public consumption". Basically, I use vantagepoint to get the data off of it, export them as gpx, and then fire up Topofusion

I keep thinking if they opened this thing up in a sort of full "open source" fashion - as in releasing the firmware, the spec for creating the raster basemaps, etc... I would be willing to bet these things would become "coveted"?

Of course basing the device on Windows CE isn't helping that cause...

Ah well, the topo basemaps are in fact very cool for navigating?

bike fanatic
    There has been a lot of problems lately with the Triton models. Most suppliers are not stocking them at this time until the problems have been eliminated. I thought I saw where Magellan had recalled some of the Triton models, but I am not certain if that is true. However, everyone that I know who have used some of the Triton models since last fall have had problems with them. I would suggest looking at the Garmin or DeLorme models. Take a look at this link on review of GPS receivers for biking:

http://www.bicycle-touring-guide.com/gps.html

John

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'd suggest staying away from Magellan if possible. I have had an eXplorist 400 since it came out, and have to say I would not go Magellan again. Most recently, all North American eXplorists lost WAAS due to satellites being hard coded into the units. Even new ones that are still for sale do not have WAAS even though they are being promoted as such. Magellan is not offering a fix, so if you have an eXplorist, you may have a nice little doorstop unless accuracy isn't much of an issue.

On top of the WAAS issue, there are a lot of good free maps, and lots of software support for Garmins, whereas Magellan units have expensive maps that in Canada are extremely outdated and poor quality.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ribaldmanikin
    I'd suggest staying away from Magellan if possible. I have had an eXplorist 400 since it came out, and have to say I would not go Magellan again. Most recently, all North American eXplorists lost WAAS due to satellites being hard coded into the units. Even new ones that are still for sale do not have WAAS even though they are being promoted as such. Magellan is not offering a fix, so if you have an eXplorist, you may have a nice little doorstop unless accuracy isn't much of an issue.

On top of the WAAS issue, there are a lot of good free maps, and lots of software support for Garmins, whereas Magellan units have expensive maps that in Canada are extremely outdated and poor quality.
    That is wild, did not know that. Explains why the prices on the explorist series are so low. Kinda sucks, I liked my explorist 500 - it had a lot of things going for it, especially for the price!

Though to be fair, even without WAAS, it still takes a decent enough track

American Icon

Agreed

I work at a 'large outdoor product company'... the product testers are testing the Magellan units again and not having much luck... After all of the issues I've heard of, it makes no sense not to go with Garmin units.