Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Magellan Toughcase

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  PabloJose 
#1 ·
Just saw this product and it looks very very promising. I use allsport gps on my droid as well as on my old iphone 3g. And you can set it up to display like a cyclocomputer as well. Cant wait to see a full trail hands on review. If anyone happens to land one of these in the future, id love to hear what riders think about it.

http://www.magellangps.com/toughcase/

#2 ·
It's an interesting product I've been aware of for a bit. I've been hoping for something like it for quite some time for my touch. Problem is, none of the apps out there REALLY support offline maps in a realistic sense. Sure, you can open maps when you're connected to the net so they're available when you don't have a connection, but that's not what I cal realistic support for offline maps.

It's a good hardware solution, though for folks looking for a solid waterproof case, at least.

It's unfortunate that it's made by Magellan. I might buy it anyway, if it wasn't made by Magellan.

#3 ·
you make a good point, i completely forgot that the iphone uses the data plan to display maps. I used allsportgps on the iphone3g when i was with att, but now that im with verizon i use trimbleoutdoors on my DROID, i think i saw an update that cached maps locally but i havent looked into it. Definately hope a biker reviews this thing, im curious to find out how it works out on the trails.

#4 ·
rmanla said:
you make a good point, i completely forgot that the iphone uses the data plan to display maps. I used allsportgps on the iphone3g when i was with att, but now that im with verizon i use trimbleoutdoors on my DROID, i think i saw an update that cached maps locally but i havent looked into it. Definately hope a biker reviews this thing, im curious to find out how it works out on the trails.
Many programs, even for the iphone, will let you cache maps locally. my point is that in order to do so, you have to go through a PITA procedure to essentially fool the phone into caching the maps for your area.

What I'd really like out of a smartphone gps app is the option to select a mapset and an area extent and load that to the phone's memory. the options now to do so require that you use the phone to view the area of that map before it gets cached. So, what if I've got enough memory on my phone for a whole state's worth of maps and I want to "set it and forget it"? do I have to run through all the zoom levels and view all the maps for that state? clunky, at best.

#5 ·
NateHawk said:
Many programs, even for the iphone, will let you cache maps locally. my point is that in order to do so, you have to go through a PITA procedure to essentially fool the phone into caching the maps for your area.

What I'd really like out of a smartphone gps app is the option to select a mapset and an area extent and load that to the phone's memory. the options now to do so require that you use the phone to view the area of that map before it gets cached. So, what if I've got enough memory on my phone for a whole state's worth of maps and I want to "set it and forget it"? do I have to run through all the zoom levels and view all the maps for that state? clunky, at best.
We recently added a bulk map loader for Android phones. You zoom into the area of interest, select the map type and the number of zoom levels, then all map tiles are grabbed and zipped into a file. Then you can dump thousands of map tiles to your phone via cable. I've been using it for big areas of topos in Grand Canyon and it's very helpful. I've loaded about 250 MB of maps on my SD card so far. It's a big improvement over grabbing only what you see on the phone screen and it eliminates the need for WiFi or 3G to get maps on the phone. This tool is compatible with the Trimble Outdoors Android app. The link to the online tool is here:

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/MyAccount/MapTiles/

We would be quite interested in feedback from the Android folks out there so we can improve the tool. We're working on an iPhone version too -

Rich at Trimble

#6 ·
Now you can color me intrigued. This tool, in combination for this case/dock address my major concerns.

superstition said:
We recently added a bulk map loader for Android phones. You zoom into the area of interest, select the map type and the number of zoom levels, then all map tiles are grabbed and zipped into a file. Then you can dump thousands of map tiles to your phone via cable. I've been using it for big areas of topos in Grand Canyon and it's very helpful. I've loaded about 250 MB of maps on my SD card so far. It's a big improvement over grabbing only what you see on the phone screen and it eliminates the need for WiFi or 3G to get maps on the phone. This tool is compatible with the Trimble Outdoors Android app. The link to the online tool is here:

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/MyAccount/MapTiles/

We would be quite interested in feedback from the Android folks out there so we can improve the tool. We're working on an iPhone version too -

Rich at Trimble

#7 ·
I've been lurking around this site for a while and have been thinking of picking up this case. Just curious if anyone has bought and reviewed yet. Real battery time, waterproof ness, accuracy? Don't want to resurrect an old dead thread but searching and this was the only one that came up.

As a side note, has anyone used the wikiloc iPhone app yet? Seems interesting only having played with it on my iPad since I need to update my jb iPhone to run it.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.