mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Lost my Edge 705 and looking to replace. Buy same or is there anything better?

Hi.

Sorry, I know this is asked a lot but here is another one.

I left my edge 705 sitting on top of the car when I drove home the other day and after 4 hours of searching I cant find it. I am looking at replacing it but they still sell for around $300 refurbished . Is there anything out there that is appreciably better than the 705 for roughly the same $?

Basically, I have narrowed it down to the following:

• Refurbished EDGE 705 with heart rate monitor strap and cadence monitor - $300
    • EDGE 500 - no strap or cadence (but I already have them) - $250
    • EDGE 800 - no strap or cadence - $365

I really dont need the map feature as I only used it once in the 3 years that I have owned the 705. My only real requirements are an accurate sensor, screen size, long battery life and backlight (which I believe they all have). The 500 looks like it has a tiny screen and I have read iffy reports on its accuracy. The 500 however looks small enough to leave it on the bike when I flip it over (I carry my bike in the trunk and need to take the wheels off)... I always had to take the 705 off when putting the bike in the car which is the main reason for losing it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 09-22-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Another question on the 500:
    On the 705 it had a virtual partner feature that I was able to go back in history on the unit itself and setup the virtual partner with any of the previous runs. From what I am reading on the 500 it sounds like I need to do this on the computer and then upload to the device... is that correct? What about on the 800?
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 09-22-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    Killing it with close inspection.

sheep in FOX clothing
    The 500 and 800 both allow you to race yourself as virtual partner on a previous saved ride without uploading or downloading to a computer.