Save Jesus

Looking for a smart phone holder

I'm looking for something that holds the phone in the right-angle between the stem and handlebar, instead up sticking out and above. Moderate suspension / shock absorption from the handlebar shaking. Some kind of a hard case, with a clear lid that I can open to poke at the display.

Bikesexual
    I got a Quadlock but is for my gravel/road bike and really like it. For MTB I throw it in my pack.

since 4/10/2009
    Put your phone away on the mtb. That spot is the perfect spot to hit it with your knee

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    On my road bike I use a life proof case with their mount. They have one that grabs the entire phone as well as a newer one where you stick a part to your phone and then can attach it to your bike. I don't think you need one of their cases for that one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have used Rokform cases and bike mounts for years. I recommend a nice wide inner tube rubber band as additional insurance so the phone doesn't eject if you yard sale the bike. It has held up very well. The company is also very responsive to any issues that creep up like spare 1/4 turn stars since I cracked one when I hit it dismounting accidentally.

I recommend their products. If you need waterproof, I have not found a reliable case to perform that and mount to the bike. I use a 7+ which is somewhat water resistant.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/13...g?v=1500309425

mtbr member

I've used this on the roughest trails.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I had a Niteize Handleband. I thought it made it hard to poke at the screen. Then I used a Niteize Steelie on the steer tube cap, but that ended the first time I drove my phone into my sternum. Now I'm using a top tube bag with a transparent pvc cover for the phone slot. It's protected in case of a fall, it ain't coming off, and I get easy access to tools and power bars. Mine's Ibera, but I think the Timbuk2 Goody Box looks more waterproof.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I just got a Topeak ridecase with the stem mount and I also got the windshield mount for the car. Great solution and pretty darn solid. The case doesn't offer a crazy amount of protection though

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Any specific recommendation for a Samsung S8?

Thanks!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boren View Post

Thanks!
    put it in your pack

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by boren View Post

Thanks!
    www.rokform.com

Been using Rokform cases and various mount options on the bike, moto, car, and even on some of my indoor exercise equipment. Started with the Galaxy S5 and now I'm on S7 and my wife just got an S8 a couple weeks ago. Extremely tough and protective cases and I have proven it. Super strong rare earth magnet embedded in it is also a great feature. It handles 75-80mph on the freeway when the phone gets forgotten on the roof of the car.

I used to use the stem bike mount and crashed many times, some of those were doozies, and had no contact with the phone. Those results are subjective to application and particular conditions. I now use a Garmin 520 in the same location so my phone is in my pack. I prefer that now that phones are $750 and insurance isn't all that wonderful with high deductibles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Do the Rokform cases include a built in screen protector?

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    No. I use the tempered glass. The case is screen protector friendly and has raised edges to protect screen impact for drops. If it landed face first on a rock or something, screens gonna take a hit as it would with even a covered case like the Otter Defender....which I learned to despise after months of use on my old S5.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vartz04 View Post
    I just got a Topeak ridecase with the stem mount and I also got the windshield mount for the car. Great solution and pretty darn solid. The case doesn't offer a crazy amount of protection though
    I had this on my bike until I went OTB a year and a half ago and was knocked unconscious. Never found my phone despite hours of searching and metal detecting the whole area. The stem mount was still on the bike with part of the phone case still attached, but the rest of the case/phone snapped off.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post
    Needs ti rails and a dropper