mtbr member
    Jan 2004

looking for GPS track editor to extract section of track

Can anyone help with this?

What I want: I want to take a GPS track of a ride, and extract from that the track for a specific trail. In other words, I want to cut or extract just a specific section of the track. So far, I've found editors that allow you to delete points or a section of track, but have not found one that makes it easy to cut/copy/extract a specified section of a GPS track.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by grundy View Post
    Can anyone help with this?

What I want: I want to take a GPS track of a ride, and extract from that the track for a specific trail. In other words, I want to cut or extract just a specific section of the track. So far, I've found editors that allow you to delete points or a section of track, but have not found one that makes it easy to cut/copy/extract a specified section of a GPS track.

Any ideas?
    if you've found programs that allow you to do the things you've mentioned above, chances are there are tools available to cut out a piece you want. look for a "split" tool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the only tool that I've actually downloaded so far is TopoFusion. TopoFusion has a "cut track" tool that allows you to remove specific points, and has a box select which allows you select points by dragging a box around it. However, although I can cut out a few points and isolate the section of track that I want, I can't figure out how to select and copy that section, and manually deleting the rest of the track is too laborious. The box select has obvious limitations, and there does not seem to be a way to select a point, shift select another point and have everything in between selected. Unless I'm missing something.

Do you have a suggestion?

oh - and I do not see a "split track" tool.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    cool, I was looking for something like a "split" tool also.

Thanks Nate!!
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Give it a crank
    Garmin MapSource is pretty good for editing gps track logs. It's not rich in features but covers the basics pretty well. You can download it free from Garmin's website. Search the web for the "secret" activation method if you don't already own a Garmin software cd, all legitimiserizerated.

What I do with Topofusion is select portions of the track I do not want with the box select tool, then use the delete key on my keyboard to remove them. I usually do this when I'm posting a track of a ride where I rode from home, but I obviously do not wish to make public the location of my house, so I delete portions of tracks within a mile or two.

Once you get it edited the way you want, save what's left as a new file if you wish to retain the original.

I have found these editing tools to be perfectly adequate for my needs.

the cut track tool does not remove points in the track. It "disconnects" two points from each other, making it easier to isolate the segment you want. In some programs, once you cut or split the track, you can select the separated segments individually in their entirety to copy or delete them. I do not have a copy of Topofusion installed in my office, and I cannot recollect if it will function this way or not.

I have taken multiple tracks, cut them up, and pieced them together in a different order (in Topofusion) to create maps and elevation profiles of proposed rides. Works just fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Nate.

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    In some programs, once you cut or split the track, you can select the separated segments individually in their entirety to copy or delete them.
    That is exactly the functionality that I'm seeking. I have not found it in TopoFusion. If you recall the name of a program that does this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks Nate.

That is exactly the functionality that I'm seeking. I have not found it in TopoFusion. If you recall the name of a program that does this, I'd appreciate it.
    ArcGIS does it. :-)

Look into open source GIS software like QuantumGIS and Mapwindow GIS. More robust editing features than consumer level mapping software in most cases.

mtbr member
    I use TopoFusion and do one of two different things depending on the track:

a) use the Cut Track tool to snip a part I don't want at either end, then right click on that section, then click the Delete option (QUICK and easy)
    b) use the Select Points tool to draw a box around a section I don't want and press the Delete key (can be a pain if you have multiple laps to deal with)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I used TopoFusion Pro Demo (Win7 here) to edit my start/stop of a ride. I had to do it with a gcx file. It worked fine.

Is there a program that will allow me to edit the track and still retain my heart rate, calories etc. I'm not sure if that's the tcx file or the .fit file on the garmin
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I used TopoFusion Pro Demo (Win7 here) to edit my start/stop of a ride. I had to do it with a gcx file. It worked fine.

Is there a program that will allow me to edit the track and still retain my heart rate, calories etc. I'm not sure if that's the tcx file or the .fit file on the garmin
    The 705 uses TCX for fitness and gps data. The 800 / 500 use FIT.
    Look at TCX Converter to edit and retain the fitness data.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeardsl View Post
    I use TopoFusion and do one of two different things depending on the track:

a) use the Cut Track tool to snip a part I don't want at either end, then right click on that section, then click the Delete option (QUICK and easy)
    b) use the Select Points tool to draw a box around a section I don't want and press the Delete key (can be a pain if you have multiple laps to deal with)
    THANKS! I was missing the right click, delete option. That's exactly what I needed. I just did a quick test, I can indeed snip out the section I want to retain, then right click delete the rest. Very fast and easy. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You can do a good job of editing tracks at trimbleoutdoors.com using the web editor. You can split tracks, delete tracks, and reverse tracks. I often split tracks where there are obvious GPS errors or I'll split tracks to isolate a particular trail. Then I delete what I don't want. You can export the track(s) to a GPX file for use other places. Use of the website track editor is free.

Full disclosure: I work for Trimble, the company that owns the website.

Rich

mtbr member
    THANKS! I was missing the right click, delete option. That's exactly what I needed. I just did a quick test, I can indeed snip out the section I want to retain, then right click delete the rest. Very fast and easy. Thanks again.
    Glad it was helpful for you! I'm glad someone asked again as it forced me to look for something that I have been looking for for awhile. The other thing this is good for is comparing stats for certain sections of a ride. Once you snip the track into sections you can use the Lap Analysis option (be sure to change from Fixed Interval to Lap Analysis once the box opens up) to show data for each section. I have been looking for this option for awhile as I do very long rides where I will join a group for a section and want to know how my solo vs group sections compare or even sections riding different bikes.