Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Glad this post is up, I'm looking to use something other than my old iphone 3g, and especially since it's gps unit seems to have failed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nate, My wife bought me a Garmin Venture HC for Christmas. I plan on doing numerous long rides: ie: Huracan 300 and hopefully the TDR. Will this unit be ok. I was thinking more on the lines of a Garmin etrex 30. I know it is newer, but is it better. It cost alot more and does not come with topo maps. Should I upgrade or stick with the Venture HC?

Quote Originally Posted by Rory Avant View Post
    Nate, My wife bought me a Garmin Venture HC for Christmas. I plan on doing numerous long rides: ie: Huracan 300 and hopefully the TDR. Will this unit be ok. I was thinking more on the lines of a Garmin etrex 30. I know it is newer, but is it better. It cost alot more and does not come with topo maps. Should I upgrade or stick with the Venture HC?
    no GPS "comes with" topo maps unless it specifically mentions it's bundled with topo software. Delorme's by rule are bundled, but Garmin bundles are not all that common, and mostly with City Nav.

the Venture HC will work just fine. it depends on specifically what functions you want. Garmin's website has a compare tool so you can see where the two models differ from each other.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The Venture was bundled with the Topo maps. I just want to make sure it has enough memory for longer rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good read

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Edit: I answered my own question.

Bizworldusa
    Aug 2012
    Great post Nate. This is more informative information. Thanks for sharing.........

Thank you
    Bizworldusa

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    This definitely helps as I'm in the market for a GPS unit.

mtbr member
    Ok, so my question is - how do the 'general outdoor' GPS units perform as a bike computer?

Let me explain what I mean...

Although I want the GPS to be tracking my ride so I can upload and study it later, and occasionally may want to refer to the map display during a ride if I'm lost, or tracing a new ride, most of the time I'd just like a simple 'bike computer' display of the basic things like my speed, distance covered etc.

I gather the bike specific GPS like Edge 200/500 do this quite well, but what about the more general 'outdoor' ones like the eTrex series - can you customize a screen to just show speed/distance/elapsed time in nice big numerals?

Thanks.
    Last edited by PerthMTB; 11-09-2012 at 11:58 PM.

they work fine. yes, you can customize the screens. biggest disadvantages of using them this way is that they are much bigger than fitness models. they can get in the way, you can have mounting difficulties, that sort of thing. another disadvantage is that they have fewer fitness functions. no HR zones, no interval training tools, none of that. if you're okay with that, then there's no problem at all.

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    speaking of the garmin trek and others...i just lost my trusty garmin 705...thinking about replacing with the garmin 500...but not sold on it. should i be looking for a another 705, look more into the 800? or what about a more hiking orientated gps? i don't want to sound ignorant...but are the bike gps units really the best for intended application? i'm not a roadie or racer where i care a lot of about cadence and such...although maybe power some day. otherwise i really care about a quality accurate gps and feature options. i also like seeing where i am, but that could be sacrificed.
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

Niner Air9C

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    the eTrex 30 is nice. rugged and can also read ANT+ devices.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
    Great post Nate! Your original post was in 2009, and I was interested in if cell phone have done anything to narrow the gap between them and actual GPS units. Namely w/ Androids and Google Maps, and more specifically the Casio Gz'One Commando.
    That's a pretty awesome phone for our kind of activity.

With regards to the above's point of narrowing the gap between smartphone GPS devices and "real" GPS devices...

There are several Android smartphones particularly by Sony Xperia that use the Russian Glonass GPS satellite system as well as the US GPS plus aGPS. They have the CPU muscle to process the second data source and thus provide more accurate positioning compared to most "real" GPS devices.

Sony Xperia GPS adds Russian GLONASS satellites | ZDNet

There are also some Huawei Android smartphones that use China's Beidou satellite navigation on top of the GPS/aGPS functionalities.

Addendum: A lot of high end smartphones both have GPS and Glonass capability including the iPhone 5, and Samsung Galaxy 3.

Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com
    Last edited by Gundam168; 01-07-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    That's a pretty awesome phone for our kind of activity.

With regards to the above's point of narrowing the gap between smartphone GPS devices and "real" GPS devices...

There are several Android smartphones particularly by Sony Xperia that use the Russian Glonass GPS satellite system as well as the US GPS plus aGPS. They have the CPU muscle to process the second data source and thus provide more accurate positioning compared to most "real" GPS devices.

Sony Xperia GPS adds Russian GLONASS satellites | ZDNet

There are also some Huawei Android smartphones that use China's Beidou satellite navigation on top of the GPS/aGPS functionalities.

Addendum: A lot of high end smartphones both have GPS and Glonass capability including the iPhone 5, and Samsung Galaxy 3.

Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com
    This is not a discussion about smartphones. Regardless of what sat networks smartphones can use, they still have chips that are not quite as good as those in dedicated receivers. The raw data that comes from the chips is pretty much crap, and you're heavily dependent on your app of choice to process that data. Not all apps are equal here so you can have the best phone out there but still have totally garbage data because you are using a $hitty app.

If you insist on using a phone, to get data out of that phone comparable to a dedicated receiver, you need to buy an external GPS receiver. A number of folks on this forum have done so and noted pretty significant improvements.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    This is not a discussion about smartphones. Regardless of what sat networks smartphones can use, they still have chips that are not quite as good as those in dedicated receivers. The raw data that comes from the chips is pretty much crap, and you're heavily dependent on your app of choice to process that data. Not all apps are equal here so you can have the best phone out there but still have totally garbage data because you are using a $hitty app.

If you insist on using a phone, to get data out of that phone comparable to a dedicated receiver, you need to buy an external GPS receiver. A number of folks on this forum have done so and noted pretty significant improvements.
    I thought you just mentioned a few posts ago that this discussion is about GPS hardware. A smartphone is GPS hardware.

and now you start talking about apps...

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    The raw data that comes from the chips is pretty much crap, and you're heavily dependent on your app of choice to process that data. Not all apps are equal here so you can have the best phone out there but still have totally garbage data because you are using a $hitty app.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    I thought you just mentioned a few posts ago that this discussion is about GPS hardware. A smartphone is GPS hardware.

and now you start talking about apps...
    My point, and I made it clear before, that for smartphones, the software is a HUGE variable, which is why this thread is about dedicated GPS hardware. smartphones contain GPS hardware, but for smartphones, the hardware cannot be separated from the software because of the huge variability from manufacturer to manufacturer and app to app. if you want to discuss smartphone tech, make a new thread about it because it is way more complicated than this thread is set up to address. this thread is a primer for people just starting to look at buying a GPS, not people looking to buy a phone with GPS and get the best results from it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2