Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    591

    Looking for gpa unit for both hiking and riding

    I tend to do a fair bit of hiking as well as mountain biking. By the years end we will be doing a pretty big hike which I have decided to get a gps for due to it being pretty much unmapped as well as to just be safe. So in this case I would want maps.

    I also ride a lot and having a gps which tracks me is certainly interesting. I'd love to be able to map everything out and see how fast I was going, etc.


    My cycling trips are usually no more then a day at a time.Hiking on the other hand is most times under a day but this big one we are planning will take 3. Battery life is a concern.

    I guess I am looking for a device with maps that can also work well on a bike. It also needs to have decent batter life.


    I can't really afford two so I hope something exists.


    sorry for title typo
    Trouble getting your BB5/BB7's set up, try this method

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,872

    You have many options

    The Garmin Oregon series are great units and will do what it is you are looking to do. They are expensive at about 250. You don't really need garmins maps that come with the t model as many maps can be found online.

    For less money you can get a Dakota and others but I have never had one so I cannot comment on its abilities.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  3. #3
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,202
    There really is no need to run the GPS for tracking of multiday hikes. It's an unnecessary drain on the battery. The best battery life you will find is in the mid-20's in hours with an etrex with the electronic compass off. Oregons can push 20hrs if you use lithiums and rarely use the screen esp with backlighting. Typically high teens with light use. Probably could get 2 full days of tracking. 3 might be pushing it even for an etrex. Longer and you will need to rely on multiple sets of batteries. The gps itself is already adding weight and spare batteries are not the lightest things in the world.

    For main navigating purposes you should plan on using a paper map and only using the gps for the occasional spot check or setting of a waypoint. With that usage model, you can extend use for more than a week on a set of batteries.

    If tracking is a huge priority for your long hikes, look for a datalogger without a screen. Ther's some talk in here about them recently. A Holux model was well reviewed. Search this forum for holux and it should turn up. It is buried in another thread so finding it by looking at thread titles won't work.

  4. #4
    Adventure Mapper
    Reputation: forgiven_nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    419
    I had many of the same needs as you and researched a LOT of GPS receivers.


    I choose the Garmin etrex 30 and wrote about it on my blog:
    FORGIVENICK – Living Out Endurance Adventures, Journeying Through Soundscapes, Gaining Humility, and Repeatedly Left in Awe | Some thoughts from another recovering fool saved by grace.
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

  5. #5
    2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    There really is no need to run the GPS for tracking of multiday hikes. It's an unnecessary drain on the battery. The best battery life you will find is in the mid-20's in hours with an etrex with the electronic compass off. Oregons can push 20hrs if you use lithiums and rarely use the screen esp with backlighting. Typically high teens with light use. Probably could get 2 full days of tracking. 3 might be pushing it even for an etrex. Longer and you will need to rely on multiple sets of batteries. The gps itself is already adding weight and spare batteries are not the lightest things in the world.

    For main navigating purposes you should plan on using a paper map and only using the gps for the occasional spot check or setting of a waypoint. With that usage model, you can extend use for more than a week on a set of batteries.

    If tracking is a huge priority for your long hikes, look for a datalogger without a screen. Ther's some talk in here about them recently. A Holux model was well reviewed. Search this forum for holux and it should turn up. It is buried in another thread so finding it by looking at thread titles won't work.
    The gps is more for specific points, if we get lost or in some form of get us out of here now situation.
    Trouble getting your BB5/BB7's set up, try this method

  6. #6
    2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    I had many of the same needs as you and researched a LOT of GPS receivers.


    I choose the Garmin etrex 30 and wrote about it on my blog:
    FORGIVENICK Living Out Endurance Adventures, Journeying Through Soundscapes, Gaining Humility, and Repeatedly Left in Awe | Some thoughts from another recovering fool saved by grace.

    From what I read the erex 30 has a sticky problem where the numbers don't change.
    Trouble getting your BB5/BB7's set up, try this method

  7. #7
    Adventure Mapper
    Reputation: forgiven_nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail View Post
    From what I read the erex 30 has a sticky problem where the numbers don't change.
    Unfortunately, you are going to see the older information much more than the new, recent info on the interwebz. Former firmware releases did not address this problem, so purple wanted to give Garmin an earful (rightfully so), but now apparently the sticky problem has been fixed with firmware 2.80:
    Problem: Garmin Etrex 20 / 30 sticky issue ( update: this issue has been fixed!!!!! ) Computer Gang
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •