mtbr member

Looking for computer. Wired or wireless?

I just got back into Mt biking for health reasons (plus it's fun as hell!) and I would like to gauge my progress as far as endurance goes. I really dont have a clue what to look for in a computer. I am looking at wireless for a clean look but have no idea what's good or bad.
    I assume both units need batteries, how long do they last? How reliable are they? etc.etc. Any recomendations on what to buy? I dont want to spend more than $50 if possible. Thanks for any suggestions! A.H.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    You'll probably get more features out of a wired model, though good quality wireless units are easy to find at your price point.

Wired is generally more trouble free than wireless, though the difference isn't dramatic. Inexpensive, crappy wireless models will give you headaches while reputable brands work fine.

Wireless use at minimum two batteries (I recall one brand that uses three), and they run down faster, too. Wired models use one battery and tend to last a good while. Units with altimeters, both wired and wireless, suck battery power faster than non-elevation sensing computers. GPS computers (i.e. Garmin Edge 305) are the ultimate wireless, but require frequent battery recharging.

I'm a fan of VDO. Their C1 DS uses the same digital transmitter as their higher end units, and gets great range. But you can't go wrong with units from CatEye, Vetta, Sigma, Planet Bike and Polar (off the top of my head).
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN