mtbr member

A little MotionBased help please.

I finally figured out how to use some of the rudimentary functions (mostly the odometer/trip computer) on my Garmin eTrex Vista GPS that my wife got me for Christmas. Pretty cool.

Now I want to be able to upload that info onto the internet so I can save and share my routes and also so that I can calculate total elevation gained.

I signed up for Motion Based and downloaded what I needed to my computer (Motion Based Agent) plus the drivers from my GPS.

Now after attempting to upload some tracks I have some quesitons (and the Motion Based Forums are deader than the Vacation Forum):

Is there any way to select just the tracks you want to upload or do they automatically upload all of them every time?

When they do upload the whole list.... how do I recognize which track is which? In the queue where you check which ones you want sent to the inbox it only shows the date they were uploaded (not the date the activity actually occured) plus a time (which doesn't seem to correspond to the length of the ride at all) so it's impossible to tell which ride/acitivity is which. Can I name/label them in the GPS unit before I send them? Right now they show by ride date which is adequate for me.... but apparently not for MB.

When they are sent to the inbox but don't show up there you click on the "Upload Status" tab and it shows either a green box or a yellow or a red but gives you no options for fixing the problem if there is one. What do you do about that?

What do you do when the ride/activity uploaded shows a green box which theoretically means the upload was successfull and the ride/activity is in the inbox but it isn't?

Is Motionbased just glitchy crap or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I finally figured out how to use some of the rudimentary functions (mostly the odometer/trip computer) on my Garmin eTrex Vista GPS that my wife got me for Christmas. Pretty cool.

Now I want to be able to upload that info onto the internet so I can save and share my routes and also so that I can calculate total elevation gained.

I signed up for Motion Based and downloaded what I needed to my computer (Motion Based Agent) plus the drivers from my GPS.

Now after attempting to upload some tracks I have some quesitons (and the Motion Based Forums are deader than the Vacation Forum):

Is there any way to select just the tracks you want to upload or do they automatically upload all of them every time?

When they do upload the whole list.... how do I recognize which track is which? In the queue where you check which ones you want sent to the inbox it only shows the date they were uploaded (not the date the activity actually occured) plus a time (which doesn't seem to correspond to the length of the ride at all) so it's impossible to tell which ride/acitivity is which. Can I name/label them in the GPS unit before I send them? Right now they show by ride date which is adequate for me.... but apparently not for MB.

When they are sent to the inbox but don't show up there you click on the "Upload Status" tab and it shows either a green box or a yellow or a red but gives you no options for fixing the problem if there is one. What do you do about that?

What do you do when the ride/activity uploaded shows a green box which theoretically means the upload was successfull and the ride/activity is in the inbox but it isn't?

Is Motionbased just glitchy crap or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
    I'll give is a shot. yes the MB site does seem glitchy, but for free what can you complain about. I get occasional error from uploads to...Here goes: It uploads the active track only. so if you save 2 tracks, it will upload the first, then the second (as the total and combining the first two). the way around it is when you save the 2nd track, the unit asks if you want to save the entire track. you have to say no, then select the start then end position. when you reset the trip computer, you have to check the "clear track log" to start from scratch after both have been upoaded to MB. The cleanest way is to upload to after each track/ride is saved, then clear the track log.

I believe you can change the name on the device before uploading. in the saved tracks, click on the track then cursor up where the name is. click on that and you can change it from the default date to a name you choose. I usually upload it with the date, then name it once it gets to MB. And I don't know of a way to fix errors on MB. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions, Dan.
    So if I didn't say "no" when it asked me if I wanted to save the whole track I can't really separate them for motionbased? That seems weird. (To me, the obvious answer to that question is, "yes, of course I want to save the whole track, duh").

If that's true then there's really no way to upload the five saved tracks in my Garmin so they show as separate rides in motionbased at this point, right?

I did reset everything but the total miles on the trip odometer after saving each time and they do show as separate rides/tracks in my Saved Tracks file on the GPS. Why would motionbased try and combine them?

I did learn that the attempted uploads with errors will eventually drop off the "Upload Status" tab after about a week. No way to delete or fix them apparently.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-27-2008 at 10:14 PM.

GeoMan
    So if I didn't say "no" when it asked me if I wanted to save the whole track I can't really separate them for motionbased? That seems weird. (To me, the obvious answer to that question is, "yes, of course I want to save the whole track, duh").

If that's true then there's really now way to upload the five saved tracks in my Garmin so they show as separate rides in motionbased at this point, right?

I did reset everything but the total miles on the trip odometer after saving each time and they do show as separate rides/tracks in my Saved Tracks file on the GPS. Why would motionbased try and combine them?

I did learn that the attempted uploads with errors will eventually drop off the "Upload Status" tab after about a week. No way to delete or fix them apparently.
    I prepaid a 2 year subscription about 3 years ago and have been a MB user since. I use Ascent as well (since I'm on a Mac).

I used to have an occasional MB upload kludge but everything's been working great for a long time now (6 - 12 months). BTW, I am uploading using data collected on an Edge 705.

When you perform an upload and your Edge has more than one ride saved on it, it will upload them as different rides. Be sure and "reset" (hold for the full countdown) before each new ride so the old one will be "closed out" and saved separately.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

If that's true then there's really no way to upload the five saved tracks in my Garmin so they show as separate rides in motionbased at this point, right?

I think when it asks if you want to save the whole track, if you say yes, it will save everying in your track log as a new track, even if it includes previous rides. As I understand it, once you reset your track log, you can't upload previous tracks.
    On your Vista, You may be able to upload all 5 tracks in one upload, as long as the track log is still ACTIVE. It sounds like you reset the track log. So even if you still see the rides on your GPS, you can't upload them since you reset the track log. I think you have to uncheck that before resetting, so it doesn't reset the track log. Once it gets to MB, it may seperate them as different rides, or you can CHOOSE to combine them. I think my problem is that i would clear the track log when resetting the trip computer, which would prevent me from uploading everthing but the most recent track. What I plan on doing next time i have several rides before uploading is to reset everything including track log. then do the first ride, save it, turn off track log. Then for ride #2, turn on track log, ride, then when save it, do not save entire track, but only the start and end point for ride #2. Then upload. It may show as one upload, but I think you can separate into two rides once it gets to MB, when you fill in the description.....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I personally feel that Garmin's software on the GPS is pure garbage. It is the least intuituve interface ever and combined with the weak MotionBased site design it is an awful experience. I have figured out how to do what I want it do do, from geocaching to logging and uploading my mtb and road rides. But it COULD be a lot easier and I had to make many errors along the way.

For me to upload multiple rides I do not save the tracks (eTrex Venture HC). I just leave the rides in the active track log and turn TRACKS off in between rides. Then I check choose individual activities from the MB upload agent thing (I'm on a Mac). You can also combine the rides after you upload. The Garmin software on and off the unit needs major overhauling and redesign. In the meantime you can struggle through workarounds and unintuitive interfaces until you get it to do what you want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDigsMTB
    I personally feel that Garmin's software on the GPS is pure garbage. It is the least intuituve interface ever and combined with the weak MotionBased site design it is an awful experience. I have figured out how to do what I want it do do, from geocaching to logging and uploading my mtb and road rides. But it COULD be a lot easier and I had to make many errors along the way.

For me to upload multiple rides I do not save the tracks (eTrex Venture HC). I just leave the rides in the active track log and turn TRACKS off in between rides. Then I check choose individual activities from the MB upload agent thing (I'm on a Mac). You can also combine the rides after you upload. The Garmin software on and off the unit needs major overhauling and redesign. In the meantime you can struggle through workarounds and unintuitive interfaces until you get it to do what you want.
    very fair comments on the unit/MB ease of use! question: do you save the track at all before uploading? you said you didn't , but I assumed you would need to save it at least once, even right before uploading????

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I don't save it at all. When I start my ride I turn TRACKS to On under the tracks screen. Then I go to the odometer page and press the button on the left side that brings up the menu from which I choose RESET. A dialog box comes up with a bunch of checked boxes that offers options for what you can reset. I make sure the following are checked - RESET TRIP DATA, RESET ODOMETER, RESET MAX SPEED, CLEAR TRACK LOG. I then click APPLY. This will reset the odometer and clear the ACTIVE TRACK LOG. I immediately start pedaling.

After the ride I go straight into the TRACKS screen and turn TRACKS to OFF. Then I come home and plug it in and upload to Motion Based. Only the Active Track log is uploaded. If you do multiple rides in a day you can simply turn TRACKS back on and there will actually be 2 tracks in the ACTIVE LOG. On the MB site you can choose individual activities or combine them also.

After uploading you COULD save the active track log if you want to leave it on the GPS for reference (if you want to display it to follow later). I believe that when you save the track it does NOT retain any altitude data, and possibly time data either. I'm not entirely sure about this. Hope this info helps. Let me know if it works for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I guess "saving tracks" is what messed me up. I won't save any of my next two or three rides then upload them all at once. Say I do 3 rides in 3 days, all the same loop. I'll turn the track log on and off before and after each ride. Then I'll upload after the 3rd ride. MB will recognize as 3 different rides?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It should. You could do a test walking around your block I suppose. Just make sure there is a few minutes between each time you turn the track log on and off. Let us know the results if you have time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDigsMTB
    I don't save it at all. When I start my ride I turn TRACKS to On under the tracks screen. Then I go to the odometer page and press the button on the left side that brings up the menu from which I choose RESET. A dialog box comes up with a bunch of checked boxes that offers options for what you can reset. I make sure the following are checked - RESET TRIP DATA, RESET ODOMETER, RESET MAX SPEED, CLEAR TRACK LOG. I then click APPLY. This will reset the odometer and clear the ACTIVE TRACK LOG. I immediately start pedaling.

After the ride I go straight into the TRACKS screen and turn TRACKS to OFF. Then I come home and plug it in and upload to Motion Based. Only the Active Track log is uploaded. If you do multiple rides in a day you can simply turn TRACKS back on and there will actually be 2 tracks in the ACTIVE LOG. On the MB site you can choose individual activities or combine them also.

After uploading you COULD save the active track log if you want to leave it on the GPS for reference (if you want to display it to follow later). I believe that when you save the track it does NOT retain any altitude data, and possibly time data either. I'm not entirely sure about this. Hope this info helps. Let me know if it works for you.
    YES!!!! This is the way to save multiple rides. Just toggle the Track Log on/off switch at the beginning and end of the ride. You do not have to save the track at all, only save it if you want to keep it on the unit. you can reset the trip computer at the beginning of each ride for the stats. But, when resetting, only check clear track log if you have already uploaded to MB. When you use the MB agent, it will ask if you want to send 2 or 3 or whatever tracks to MB sorted by date. Choose the ones you want to send. Then it will go into your inbox and you can name them and add notes etc.

I think Saving Tracks makes it much harder to use. A simpler way is to not save it, upload all the tracks, then download the tracks you want to keep on your unit. Thanks and good luck!