Fake it 'til you make it

Links to good information for people who know nothing about GPS

I am interested in GPS and know a little about it; like how it works with the satellites- but that's about it.

I did not start this thread to have GPS newbie questions answered here, but rather, to build a collection of quality links where beginners can start.

I'm looking for web info/sites (backcountry, alpine, outdoors specific- hiking, biking, hunting, etc. would be great) that experienced GPS users here think would be informative for a GPS virgin.

There is a lot posted on the web, but I'm looking for advice from experienced users who have cut through the bullshiit.

Thanks!

Don't limit yourself to searching for stuff that is specific to GPS.

If you really want to understand what's going on and HOW to use the various available features, you want to look for resources that explain navigation in general and maps in general.

A GPS receiver simply tells you your coordinates, saves your coordinates, and helps you reach a different set of coordinates. It does most of the crunching behind the scenes. If you understand that crunching process and what goes into it, it will help you understand your GPS and what you can do with that information.

You want to search for:
    navigation
    triangulation
    trilateration
    map projection
    backcountry navigation
    geographic information systems (GIS)
    orienteering

You'll probably come up with other search terms, too, but this will give you a solid start. Books and printouts are helpful because you can take them out into the field and practice with the instructions.

Fake it 'til you make it
    Fantastic! Thank you very much, guys.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    Don't limit yourself to searching for stuff that is specific to GPS.

If you really want to understand what's going on and HOW to use the various available features, you want to look for resources that explain navigation in general and maps in general.

A GPS receiver simply tells you your coordinates, saves your coordinates, and helps you reach a different set of coordinates. It does most of the crunching behind the scenes. If you understand that crunching process and what goes into it, it will help you understand your GPS and what you can do with that information.

You want to search for:
    navigation
    triangulation
    trilateration
    map projection
    backcountry navigation
    geographic information systems (GIS)
    orienteering

You'll probably come up with other search terms, too, but this will give you a solid start. Books and printouts are helpful because you can take them out into the field and practice with the instructions.
    Excellent point.

I started with a book called "Map and Compass" by Kjellstrom.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com