mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Lezyne Super GPS Review - NOT RECOMMENDED

I have edited the thread title to add the fact that I can not recommend this device. My initial review below is un-edited and you can peruse the thread to see the problems that I have encountered with this device leading to a negative overall review.

I wanted to post a review of the Lezyne Y10 (2017 model) Super GPS. I did a fair bit of research before buying and did not find a lot of recent reviews. I've used it for 2 months now.

In short, I'd give it a B+ rating, all things considered. I've never used a Garmin or other GPS unit, so all I can do is compare to cheapo cycling computers and what I've read and heard about the Garmins.

It does what I need it to do, although the more I've used it the more I find myself wanting some of the advanced features on the Garmins (520, 820 and 1000). For example, while the screens are somewhat customizable on the Lezyne, your options are pretty basic in terms of the layout. The other features that look better on the Garmins are Strava Live Segments (what you see during the segment) and the ability to quickly switch between bike profiles.

Everything on the Super GPS was easy to set up, and using the device on a daily basis is super easy. For the most part, the data seems very accurate, even in wooded tight singletrack. All you do after a ride is open the app on your phone and sync to the GPS Root (Lezyne's ride-tracking solution) and it auto-syncs the ride with Strava.

Highlights:
    - Easy to set up and use

- Ride data seems very accurate (I usually use a speed sensor)

- HR monitor works flawlessly

- Barometer, accelerometer, and GPS+GLONASS in a ~$150 package

- ANT+ and Bluetooth compatible. I had no issues pairing a third-party ANT+ speed sensor.

- Turn-by-turn directions work really well (although the re-routing does not seem to)

- Incoming phone calls and text message notifications are very handy (if you so desire....)

Lowlights:
    - Odd elevation data sometimes when turning device on. Lezyne Support offered no solution that worked. What happens is the elevation rapidly races upwards when turning the device on, then over 10-15 minutes slowly corrects itself back to what I know to be the actual elevation. This happens about half of the time. The Lezyne GPS Root app corrects this bad elevation data, but Strava does not, so I'm not getting a true Elevation Gain number. Fortunately, Strava does have a function to correct the elevation data, but this is still an annoyance.

- Incorrect data/feedback for Strava Live Segments. The segment time displayed in real time on the device was many times incorrect and did not match the actual segment time after uploading the ride. It's bad enough that I disabled this feature, and it's one of the reasons I bought the device.

- At times, GPS drift is a problem. There is one segment on my normal route that is 50/50 as to whether it Strava recognizes it as a segment match. Overall, accuracy is very good but the occasional missed segment does bug me.

- Lack of Bike Profile functionality. When you move the device between bikes, you have to remember to manually change the rear tire diameter, bike weight, and bike type if you want accurate on-screen feedback during your ride.

Overall, the device is well worth the money and I'd recommend it for anybody considering it. Hopefully the stuff above helps you in your search.
    Last edited by smitty39; 06-23-2017 at 03:34 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for sharing your review. I have been going back n forth and unable to decide what to replace my Garmin Edge 500 with. I still might go with a 520 after reading your review.

since 4/10/2009
    I've used enough different bikes that I've seen a few different applications of "profiles". Some of them I like, some I don't.

What I want is when it's easy to move my GPS computer from one bike to another. Let's start there.

Devices that use profiles I'm not a fan of:

Garmin Forerunner 310XT - This one is somewhat unique in my comments as it's the only one I've used that has not just different bike profiles (you can set up two), but you can set up run and swim profiles, as well. It's pretty cool in that way. What sucks is that switching profiles is sortof a "hidden menu" you have to access. It's easy to forget to switch profiles.

Bryton Rider 310T - This one permits two bike profiles. Switching them requires digging through menus to find that setting. There is no quick access menu, hidden or otherwise.

Garmin Edge 520 - This one is the easiest in this regard. What's coolest, IMO, is that the profiles aren't necessarily tied to a bike. You can pretty much use any profile on any bike. The sensors, for the most part, are even bike-agnostic. The only ones that aren't would be the ones that have a specific measurement tied to them like wheel sensor and its circumference setting. The computer just picks up whatever sensors are paired and active regardless of profile. And when you turn it on, the first thing you do is select the profile you intend to use, and you've got enormous flexibility in displaying which data you want to see.

Barometric altimeters have little quirks on every device I've used that had them. You usually learn to deal with them and hope it's just a software quirk that gets fixed eventually.

Strava live segments seem to be a bit flaky no matter which device you use. Many segments I know of are not terribly accurately recorded in the first place, so that compounds the problems. There are many factors that affect GPS accuracy and will result in low accuracy in your track. Some of them are consistent (some places are not the best), and some are not (space weather is a thing and it will affect the accuracy of your GPS data - so will certain atmospheric conditions).

I am curious how Lezyne is supposed to handle re-routing when the device doesn't have basemaps. Is it supposed to be communicating with your phone for that and the phone is supposed to feed those prompts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yes, for re-routing you need the Lezyne app open on your phone. For the original directions, with no re-routing, I believe you can do a "push" of the route to the GPS unit but I'm not positive, as I always use the GPS while paired with my phone anyway.

As a side note that I did not mention in my review, the Lezyne GPS Root is not very good for creating Routes/turn-by-turn directions. I use RideWithGPS to create the route, and then import the tcx file into the Lezyne GPS Root.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty39 View Post

Lowlights:
    - Odd elevation data sometimes when turning device on. Lezyne Support offered no solution that worked. What happens is the elevation rapidly races upwards when turning the device on, then over 10-15 minutes slowly corrects itself back to what I know to be the actual elevation. This happens about half of the time. The Lezyne GPS Root app corrects this bad elevation data, but Strava does not, so I'm not getting a true Elevation Gain number. Fortunately, Strava does have a function to correct the elevation data, but this is still an annoyance.
    Are you turning the device on indoors, and then immediately going outside to start riding? This can cause issues with the barometric altimeter if there is much of a change in temperature between indoors and outdoors.

What I do with my Garmin Edge 520, which should work with your Lezyne SuperGPS too, is to turn it on 20 minutes or so before I intend to set off and leave it to stand somewhere at outdoor temperature so that it has a chance to settle down beforehand.

I used to leave it in the back garden but at my current house the garage is outdoor temperature so I leave it there on the bike now. It just needs to be somewhere safe that has the same conditions as outdoors.

By doing that any bad altimeter or temperature readings you see initially will have cleared by the time you actually begin recording the ride, so that your ride data on Strava should be good in future.

since 4/10/2009
    Yes, for re-routing you need the Lezyne app open on your phone. For the original directions, with no re-routing, I believe you can do a "push" of the route to the GPS unit but I'm not positive, as I always use the GPS while paired with my phone anyway.

As a side note that I did not mention in my review, the Lezyne GPS Root is not very good for creating Routes/turn-by-turn directions. I use RideWithGPS to create the route, and then import the tcx file into the Lezyne GPS Root.
    I like the routes that you make with RWGPS. I use them on my Edge 520, also. Programmed well, the turn prompts are great.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of keeping my phone paired with the GPS all the time. I only pair the devices when I want to upload. Once I did it for weather updates on a long road ride, but otherwise, nope. I want to save my phone battery and data and all. And I could care less about phone/txt notifications.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Are you turning the device on indoors, and then immediately going outside to start riding? This can cause issues with the barometric altimeter if there is much of a change in temperature between indoors and outdoors.

What I do with my Garmin Edge 520, which should work with your Lezyne SuperGPS too, is to turn it on 20 minutes or so before I intend to set off and leave it to stand somewhere at outdoor temperature so that it has a chance to settle down beforehand.

I used to leave it in the back garden but at my current house the garage is outdoor temperature so I leave it there on the bike now. It just needs to be somewhere safe that has the same conditions as outdoors.

By doing that any bad altimeter or temperature readings you see initially will have cleared by the time you actually begin recording the ride, so that your ride data on Strava should be good in future.
    Good thoughts, but I've tried everything you mentioned. I'm going to take a video and send it to Lezyne. For today's ride, I turned the device on early and let the altitude settle. All was well. I was waiting for my buddies to get ready and the device auto shut down. When I turned it back on, the altitude raced upwards again! Very odd. It would seem it has to be a firmware issue.

I don't want to focus too much on this issue, because there are workarounds and I'm otherwise pretty happy. Little things like this just seem to bother me. Probably because I'm in the software business and I'd never hear the end from my customers on something like this!

since 4/10/2009
    Good thoughts, but I've tried everything you mentioned. I'm going to take a video and send it to Lezyne. For today's ride, I turned the device on early and let the altitude settle. All was well. I was waiting for my buddies to get ready and the device auto shut down. When I turned it back on, the altitude raced upwards again! Very odd. It would seem it has to be a firmware issue.

I don't want to focus too much on this issue, because there are workarounds and I'm otherwise pretty happy. Little things like this just seem to bother me. Probably because I'm in the software business and I'd never hear the end from my customers on something like this!
    Totally understandable. One of Garmin's altitude workarounds was to have their edges auto calibrate the altimeters with a couple different methods. They use satellite auto calibration when accuracy is good enough, but they'll also auto calibrate elevations from saved waypoints. Garmin has had quite a few issues with their barometric altimeters being wonky over the years. I think it's less a software issue than a hardware quirk that requires surprisingly complicated software solutions to address.

mtbr member
    That does appear to be a bug.

Can you disable auto shut down as an option on the Lezyne? If it had kept running, rather than shutting down, forcing you to start the boot cycle again, then it sounds like you would have been ok for the ride itself?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Another good thought, WR304, and something I looked for! But the Lezyne does not allow this to be changed. Yes you are correct, I would have been fine if the device did not shut down and need to restarted. It settled-in to 900-some feet and I figured I was all set. My bike sat there untouched. I turned it back on and it raced up to 1,500+ feet and slowly returned to proper altitude somewhere around the 10-15 minute mark in my ride.

It might be a hard sell to Lezyne as an issue on the elevation, as their GPS Root automatically corrects this bad data automatically. But the auto-sync to Strava does not, so I have to manually recalculate it within Strava (to use GPS-based elevation rather than the Lezyne-recorded elevation).

since 4/10/2009
    I have to manually recalculate it within Strava (to use GPS-based elevation rather than the Lezyne-recorded elevation).
    FYI, Strava is not using GPS-based location for corrections. GPS-based elevation is calculated on-device based on a high accuracy 3D position fix. Most corrections are done by matching the location of each position of the track with a separate elevation database (a digital elevation model, or DEM). Strava recently went one step further and is now crowd-sourcing elevations by using data that people upload from devices with barometric altimeters.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...vation-Basemap

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Elevation Bug Video

For anybody who's interested, here is a little vid I took of the elevation bug. Note the stable (and correct) elevation of 987 feet. I turn the device off and back on, and the elevation races skyward. What I did not record, because it takes 10-15 minutes, is the very slow return back to correct elevation.

https://youtu.be/yWjVpC0ir7U

I was underwhelmed with the support from Lezyne. Just something we'll have to live with and look for a fix in one of their updates.

While I took the video in my garage, I have done this outdoors in the clear many times and the results are the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Elevation Bug Workaround

Just to use this thread as a knowledge base for others, here is an update on a fairly obvious workaround I've started using for the elevation bug:

Problem Summary (so you don't have to read the whole thread): Sometimes when turning the device on, the Elevation rapidly races upwards to a ridiculous figure. Then over 15 minutes or more, slowly corrects itself. This gives you bad elevation data for your ride. If you turn the device on in advance of starting your ride, in theory it will correct itself before you start your ride. Problem: The device auto-shuts-off within approx 10 minutes. So you turn it back on, and you're back to square one with the Elevation bug.

Workaround: Turn the device on in advance of your ride, AND start recording a session. This way the device won't auto-shut-off, and you can let it sit there as long as you want and wait for the Elevation to correct itself. When you're ready to actually start riding, stop recording and simply discard the pseudo ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Strava Live Segments

Adding the the knowledge base on the Super GPS, this time with Strava Live Segments feedback:

If you are using a speed sensor and want exacting Live Segment feedback on the Super GPS while riding, make sure your speed sensor is calibrated perfectly (by "calibrated," I mean you have the correct tire circumference entered so that distance reported by the Super GPS matches actual distance traveled).

What I found is that if you are NOT using a speed sensor, Live Segment feedback is based on the GPS coordinates of the Start & End points of the segment. That's pretty good, but we all know there are benefits to running a speed sensor.

If you ARE using a speed sensor, the live segment time displayed on the Super GPS is based on the GPS coordinates start point plus distance traveled per your speed sensor (ignoring the GPS location of the segment end point).

What this means is that if your speed sensor is not calibrated perfectly, the Live Segment time displayed on your unit while riding will not match the actual segment time reflected in Strava when you upload your ride. I noticed this because on a long segment when I knew I passed the actual segment end point, the Super GPS still showed I had 0.X miles to go. My speed sensor was not perfectly calibrated at that time, so the Lezyne was under-reporting distance traveled.

Strava ignores the speed/distance data from Lezyne units anyway, so the segment time within Strava will be accurate even if your speed sensor is calibrated wrong, but just be aware what you see in realtime on the Super GPS will be wrong if your speed sensor is calibrated wrong.

mtbr member
    I've been using the Lezyne Micro GPS with the bundled heart rate and cadence sensors for 4 months now, and I am sadly pretty disappointed with it.

My main issues:
    Elevation data - Goes crazy at the start of the ride, as other people discussed. Takes 20 minutes or more to start being accurate.

GPS Drift - sometimes subtly, sometimes in huge jumps, the GPS drifts around. Most of the time I'm lucky to get a third of the Strava segments I ride to be recorded, and who knows how inaccurate my time is on them.

Heart Rate Sensor - the first one I had had one of the metal snaps fall off... no way to repair it. Lezyne was great about sending me a new one, but that one stopped working in about two weeks. Nothing I could do would revive it. I should send it back too but I kind of just gave up on tracking my heart rate.

My two main reasons for getting a GPS were to save my cell battery and to see vertical feet in real time on my rides. My iPhone is more accurate with GPS. I keep hoping for a FW update from Lezyne that will magically fix all this, but it seems like the release updates once every three months or so.
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    I've been using the Lezyne Micro GPS with the bundled heart rate and cadence sensors for 4 months now, and I am sadly pretty disappointed with it.
    Do you use a GoPro as well?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Do you use a GoPro as well?
    Nope.
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I sent my enhanced super gps back after 1 ride. I'd rather just use my galaxy s8+. It seems more accurate anyways. If I was a guy that didn't wear a backpack all the time I would have kept it. I give it a B overall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Micro C GPS for me guys, aside from elevation and temp data that doesn't seem to be that accurate everything seems to be fine for my rides, MTB.

The new firmware 4.114 adds support for more than one bike, too early to say if it fixes or improves any features or sensor accuracy.
    Here is my quick experience with the GPS and the changes I found on the new formware:
    https://youtu.be/FRpK2pxrkdQ
    Last edited by mevnet; 06-16-2017 at 05:44 PM.
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Good catch on the firmware update release, and nice vid (assuming that's you).

The elevation bug is not fixed, but major props to Lezyne on the bike profiles and ability to configure the GPS from your phone. Some other nice little features too, like you pointed out on your vid. Very nice update by Lezyne!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yes, very nice for them to keep improving the current product. I called the engineers in California and they were very helpful. They mentioned that the firmware is being worked on but they also work on new hardware to make the screen on the Micro C more visible. The LCD is transflective so the more ambient light the better but in low light you would struggle to see the screen properly. Oh well that's what the flashlights are for right?
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

Land of the 230+
    Jumping on board to add that GPS calculated distance is considerably shorted when going through very tight twisty trails. Anything less than slaloming through trees works fine. Adding a wheel sensor fixes distance, but obviously not GPS drift. I ride at sea level, (0 to 250) and while strava does occasionally complain about the elevation, I haven't found the discrepancy to be as big as some of yours.

I too have spoken with a couple of contacts at Lezyne, and they are EXTREMELY responsive to constructive criticism, and are constantly fixing bugs, and dialing in filters and algorithms. The latest software fixed an issue I had where strava would occasionally discard wheel sensor distance (and possibly barometric data too). They also added the multi bike feature, motion detection alert, confirm deletes, and you can set up your bikes and sensors via app instead of through the GPS. Its an ever evolving thing. I've had my Super since the day it was released, and they've already come so far. I'm willing to wait a little longer in the hopes they can continue to dial things in.

But really, are there any better options at this price point?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Has anyone else had issues connecting it to their phone? Ever since I got it (yr10 super gps), connecting via blue tooth has been a little flaky in that I often have to go thru the gps menu and re-advertise the device, but I could always get it to work eventually. Tonight as I was trying to upload a ride, the GPS and phone will pair for a about a second, then disconnect and go back and forth every 10-15 seconds. As I'm typing this, the GPS, said it was paired for a minute or two, but the app still says "no rides are visible because no device is connected". I really like the unit, but this Bluetooth pairing seems terrible compared to my old edge 25.

Land of the 230+
    Have you updated the firmware since you bought it? Sounds like an issue I used to have that was addressed with a software update quite some time ago. If not, drop them an email and see if they can help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    Has anyone else had issues connecting it to their phone? Ever since I got it (yr10 super gps), connecting via blue tooth has been a little flaky in that I often have to go thru the gps menu and re-advertise the device, but I could always get it to work eventually. Tonight as I was trying to upload a ride, the GPS and phone will pair for a about a second, then disconnect and go back and forth every 10-15 seconds. As I'm typing this, the GPS, said it was paired for a minute or two, but the app still says "no rides are visible because no device is connected". I really like the unit, but this Bluetooth pairing seems terrible compared to my old edge 25.
    Yes I have gotten that occasionally, including yesterday with the latest firmware.

Also, although it has happened only a few times, mid-ride the GPS will lose all sensor pairings (speed and HRM). I had to stop my ride and re-pair my phone and all sensors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Have you updated the firmware since you bought it? Sounds like an issue I used to have that was addressed with a software update quite some time ago. If not, drop them an email and see if they can help.
    After initially having the issue yesterday, I updated the firmware and my phone app. No change in behavior. Still the same this morning and I still haven't been able to upload yesterday's ride. On the other hand, I never seem to lose HRM connection.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    So quick question, is there a way to just upload ride data directly to the computer via USB?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    thank you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Lezyne Super GPS Drift

I think I'm done with the Lezyne and will start shopping for a Garmin. The continuing elevation bug, sensors and phone un-pairing, GPS drift, and other bugs are just too much annoyance.

I do not hear of Garmin users having so many issues.

How's this for GPS drift on my ride yesterday? I guess I was going so fast I was able to just skim across the top of the lakes. I don't really care about getting credit on the Strava leaderboards, but I do like to track my progress via Segment times. When you're drifting hundreds of feet off course, you don't trigger the segment.

Lezyne Super GPS Review-lezyne-drift.jpg

Land of the 230+
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lezyne Drift.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	1143090

Wow, thats way worse than anything Ive ever experienced. Maybe you got a dud? How many bars "dots" of signal do you have? Looking at that track, I cant say I blame you. I take it you've already shared this will lezyne's support? What was their response?

mtbr member

Wow, thats way worse than anything Ive ever experienced. Maybe you got a dud? How many bars "dots" of signal do you have? Looking at that track, I cant say I blame you. I take it you've already shared this will lezyne's support? What was their response?
    If that is a dud, so is mine. I get BS like that all the time. It does seem to be worse in dense trees, which I think is a problem with all GPS units, but I'm not sure. Would a garmin be better?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If that is a dud, so is mine. I get BS like that all the time. It does seem to be worse in dense trees, which I think is a problem with all GPS units, but I'm not sure. Would a garmin be better?
    Literally the next thread down the list is complaining about the same behavior from Garmin 520's

Land of the 230+
    I get drift as well, but unless those are puddles and not lakes in the photo above, I get nowhere near that severe a discrepancy. I routinely see 10 to 20 feet of drift, occasionally more, but I see that with other GPS units as well. I very, very rarely miss a segment due to GPS drift, and I have some of the most challenging segments to match (ie. 7+ miles on a 40 acre parcel of land).

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Well the saga with the Lezyne continues, as the device will not turn on. The manual describes a reset, but that's designed to turn the device off when it will not respond to button input. The hard reset does not seem to work when the device is stuck off.

Only once in my lifetime have I ever gotten on the internet and bashed a product, and this will be #2. I'm really disappointed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Im on the same boat with you guys... I have a enhanced micro gps and my elevation is way off from my mates phone.. Also the temps is too far off to. I thought I invested on a good cycling gps computer but it's been a let down so far..

I'll be buying a garmin speed sensor soon and see if it can make a difference on my ride results..

what's the circumference of a 650B + tires and a 29er 2.4? thanks!

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by BadfishNZ View Post
    Wheel sensor is always a good idea. Dont go by charts or quoted wheel diameters or circumference. Do a weighted rollout. Mark your garage floor or a driveway or sidewalk directly under your valve stem. Weight the bike, and roll one tire revolution, and mark the ground where the valve stem is again. Now measure between the two points, and you have your exact circumference.

mtbr member
    FYI... I have found that after the latest firmware update and enabling the 1-second recording, I have had way fewer problems with gps drift on my rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieWV View Post
    FYI... I have found that after the latest firmware update and enabling the 1-second recording, I have had way fewer problems with gps drift on my rides.
    Is that an option that is disabled by default? If so, where do I find it to change it?

Land of the 230+
    Well the saga with the Lezyne continues, as the device will not turn on. The manual describes a reset, but that's designed to turn the device off when it will not respond to button input. The hard reset does not seem to work when the device is stuck off.

Only once in my lifetime have I ever gotten on the internet and bashed a product, and this will be #2. I'm really disappointed.
    Did you get any resolution from Lezyne? Are they sending you a new one? Did you just return it from where you purchased it originally? I dont know how your issues could possibly be all related to each other, but you certainly got a turd.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yes, when I called Support they walked me through a procedure to reset the device (back to factory defaults) and I've been using it in the meantime, until I can get a Garmin. I have not tried to claim a warranty or refund yet.

Land of the 230+
    Yes, when I called Support they walked me through a procedure to reset the device (back to factory defaults) and I've been using it in the meantime, until I can get a Garmin. I have not tried to claim a warranty or refund yet.
    What about the GPS drift being so far off? They just dismissed it without any attempt to resolve it? I would be surprised if a replacement didn't reduce the drift to acceptable levels. Ive never had anything nearly that bad.

mtbr member
    I have a micro C with the latest firmware and experienced drift for the first time. I've been using this GPS since December without any issues. I'm guessing the adaptive feature may be to blame. I'll switch to 1 sec and see if it happens again. The shot below is the ride in question. It is under dence tree cover.
    As you can see by the start and finish there are in reality in the same spot. The entire ride should be in the park boundary so I estimate the drift to e over half mile. The elevation was also a few thousand feet off!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i noticed same thing ! it properly read the track but it was shifted on the map, therefore not counting some segments!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Im on the same boat with you guys... I have a enhanced micro gps and my elevation is way off from my mates phone.. Also the temps is too far off to. I thought I invested on a good cycling gps computer but it's been a let down so far..

I'll be buying a garmin speed sensor soon and see if it can make a difference on my ride results..

i have same experience, if you can return it ASAP, i did the mistake and kept it over a year in hope they would fix the bugs! well they havent and im stuck with a scam

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    look at that drift..its so bad.. im way off the track..

https://video.relive.cc/strava_10744...5.mp4?x-ref=og

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

wow does strava make that video automaticly with premium ?
    and yes i have very same experience, thought i have faulty unit, but it doesnt seem like it
    also i can not even download latest firmware their link is not working ... wtf

mtbr member
    I've got bad drift on around half my rides. I don't think it is a faulty unit issue... I think they have some hardware or software issues that are affecting everything. I'm using the Micro GPS year 10.

since 4/10/2009

That's not drift. You did the same loop 3 times, and each lap was practically dead on with the previous one. It just not lining up with the basemap (there's a horizontal shift going on). The precision (repeatability) of the device is very good, but there are some problems with accuracy. This points to something going on with the device itself.

Hudnut's screen shot is an example of drift, where part of the track was accurate and that accuracy drifted off to end inaccurate. This problem suggests a cause that's external to the device like environmental conditions (not necessarily tree cover, but potentially solar weather or other atmospheric problems), but might not necessarily be.

My question to all you folks with problems - are you in active conversations with Lezyne about these problems? If you're not and you're only whining about them here, then shame on you. How do you expect companies to do better if you're not telling them about the limitations of their product?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    you are wrong. its not lining up with map, thats what i thought at first too!
    but then i noticed, some of segments didnt count in, as if i didnt ride through.
    so i did experiment, and recreated the segment, and it was apparent that i was simply shifted as on the vide here, and guess what, it found nobody else on my new segment.
    so yes its a drift and lezyne has it through all its units i use older version, power year9 or how they call it

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    That's not drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
    you are wrong.
    Wrong move, Xegiie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Wrong move, Xegiie.
    care to explain? i explained why its not lining up, but it actually is a drift.
    i have very same issue

since 4/10/2009
    you are wrong.
    I get that there's a language barrier here, but you don't know wtf you're talking about. you really have no basis for making that claim. did you not read the rest of my post explaining what drift actually is (loss of accuracy over time)? The track in the video did NOT lose accuracy over time. The loss of accuracy was the SAME. The horizontal shift in accuracy is NOT changing. It's consistent.

I have no way of knowing if the problem shown in the Relive video is the same kind of problem that you're having, or if your problem is more like Hudnut's. You didn't post any links or screen shots of your problematic rides.

since 4/10/2009
    i have very same issue
    I know my $hit, that's why.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I get that there's a language barrier here, but you don't know wtf you're talking about. you really have no basis for making that claim. did you not read the rest of my post explaining what drift actually is (loss of accuracy over time)? The track in the video did NOT lose accuracy over time. The loss of accuracy was the SAME. The horizontal shift in accuracy is NOT changing. It's consistent.

I have no way of knowing if the problem shown in the Relive video is the same kind of problem that you're having, or if your problem is more like Hudnut's. You didn't post any links or screen shots of your problematic rides.
    yes english is not my first language, and as a drift, i understand its correct data, but shifted. if it doesnt then its not a drift , but some else word, why does it matter? lezyne doesnt track properly for strava segments and thats the actual point

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I know my $hit, that's why.
    you know shit? that seems about right, you apparently dont own a lezyne device

Land of the 230+
    i have very same issue
    The man is the resident GPS expert here, and is more knowledgeable on the subject than anyone you'll likely ever meet. Telling him that he's flat out wrong is not a great move.

But in short, I believe he was trying to explain that drift is when the GPS lock goes from accurate to inaccurate within the same ride. Where as in this case there's an offset that likely requires some tweaks to the GPS filtering to get the track to line up with the base map, but the track is otherwise quite accurate relative to itself (repeatable). Not saying a problem doesn't exist, but the differences hint at where the problem lies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    so you are bashing me here, because guy is apparently an expert, and its not called drift, but something else, ok shame on me, guess ill go cry into a corner now

since 4/10/2009
    but some else word, why does it matter?
    Correct language matters, especially in technical and scientific applications.

Which makes your whining about it especially confusing. since English is not your first language, you SHOULD be more open to learning the best language to describe your problem. Being an a$$hole about it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Lezyne Super GPS Review-w.jpg
    found this after 5 seconds of looking thro my ride
    guess they have all maps shifted all around the world then
    or im riding thro trees

Land of the 230+
    so you are bashing me here, because guy is apparently an expert, and its not called drift, but something else, ok shame on me, guess ill go cry into a corner now
    No, you're being called out for your bad attitude. Language barrier or not, its apparent from your string of red chicklets that "bad attitude" transcends language differences.

Keep it up and one day you can probably make a good future as the CEO of a much maligned pharmaceuticals company. You seem to fit the mold.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Correct language matters, especially in technical and scientific applications.

Which makes your whining about it especially confusing. since English is not your first language, you SHOULD be more open to learning the best language to describe your problem. Being an a$$hole about it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
    i was polity, till you showed up with how can i even think about telling you about being wrong.. how many languages you know ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    why did i even think i can talk to americans just forget it

since 4/10/2009

Name:	w.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	1145718
    found this after 5 seconds of looking thro my ride
    guess they have all maps shifted all around the world then
    or im riding thro trees
    I never said the basemap was shifted. The whole discussion is about the GPS data from the Lezyne devices, and that's what I was talking about. I was drawing a distinction between the problems shown by Hudnut and by BadfishNZ. THEY ARE DIFFERENT and the obviousness of that should transcend language barriers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    k i thought we are both talking about same thing, my bad there.
    i was talking about smitty39 screenshot and about the video, which are very same things to me and and very same problem i experience. Also i wanted contact lezyne but on their website they claim if im outside US i need to contact my suplier instead, which put me off.

since 4/10/2009
    k i thought we are both talking about same thing, my bad there.
    i was talking about smitty39 screenshot and about the video, which are very same things to me and and very same problem i experience. Also i wanted contact lezyne but on their website they claim if im outside US i need to contact my suplier instead, which put me off.
    Yeah, I never referenced smitty's screenshot. It's hard to say since only 1 lap occurred there, but it does look the same as the vid. But drift occurs over time whereas a shift does not. So Hudnut's is drift since accuracy changes over time, and you and smitty and BadfishNZ have a shift in your data since it appears to be consistent over time.

The way Lezyne told you to handle this tells me that the solution to the problem is replacement of your GPS, rather than something you can fix at home. I don't really see any problems with how they handled it. Pretty common if the company doesn't have a direct presence in your country. There are even a lot of companies based here in the US that don't work with customers directly, and send them to the place they bought their product. This is obviously more of a pain if you bought the product online than if you bought it in a retail store. Probably the biggest disadvantage to buying online. And especially to buying something from places like ebay.

mtbr member
    Ok, here is an example of a GPS track going from accurate to inaccurate to accurate on the same ride:

Lezyne Super GPS Review-screen-shot-2017-07-09-2.23.27-pm.jpg

The was my Lezyne Year 10 Micro GPS with the latest FW.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1052359062

since 4/10/2009
    In case folks weren't aware, a little GPS drift can actually be expected for most GPSes in certain locations at certain times.

Especially heavy tree cover can be one factor, but IME, the biggest factors are terrain and skyscrapers within big cities. I see it from time to time with the Garmin Edge 520 I use now. It's most likely to happen, IME, on north-facing hillsides, especially where the slope is steep and much higher than the trail, which blocks my position from direct line-of-sight to satellites in the southern sky (for northern hemisphere). This would be opposite for southern hemisphere.

So what will happen is that my track starts out accurate, drifts off as I approach the difficult area, and then drifts back to accurate when I get to a spot with a better reception. The loss in accuracy is compounded by high speed downhills. GLONASS on my Edge 520 does help the problem. It was much worse on previous devices without it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yp Harold something like this could be it, then it would seem lezyne has actually problem with using Glonass satelites or something along those lines. it actually takes a quite a while ( from 3 minutes to 10 minutes sometimes) to fix my location when i start the unit ( to get all 4 dots indicating full lock ), even tho when i use my mobile with glonass its pretty much an instant lock.

since 4/10/2009
    yp Harold something like this could be it, then it would seem lezyne has actually problem with using Glonass satelites or something along those lines. it actually takes a quite a while ( from 3 minutes to 10 minutes sometimes) to fix my location when i start the unit ( to get all 4 dots indicating full lock ), even tho when i use my mobile with glonass its pretty much an instant lock.
    Mobile phones use cell tower triangulation to speed location determination, so that's not a fair comparison.

I doubt there's a problem with GLONASS satellites specifically. I would only suspect such a thing if the problem got WORSE when GLONASS was enabled, and improved when it was disabled (using GPS-only location).

When it takes a long time, has it been awhile since the GPS last was used, or have you traveled far? That's pretty standard, as you have to wait for the GPS to download new ephemeris (satellite locations) from one of the few birds that transmits the information. Cell phones are also able to download ephemeris over cell networks, which also helps. Some GPSes can pre-load this information before traveling, but that's uncommon and is actually considered more basic functionality than being able to download it directly from the satellites.

mtbr member
    Here is another example of my Micro GPS struggling to do much of anything. I traced over the route I actually rode in blue. I know those trail locations are accurate... I've recorded rides on them using my phone and they're actually super accurate. The Lezyne is struggling massively though. Most of the trail is under dense tree cover. No GLONASS since I'm using the Micro.

Just did this ride half an hour ago:

Lezyne Super GPS Review-screen-shot-2017-07-09-6.40.22-pm.jpg

The elevation also bounced around, at some points it was over 1000 feet off.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1076106948

At this point it seems like new FW might not save the device? Starting to think about getting a Garmin 520.

mtbr member
    Here is another example of my Micro GPS struggling to do much of anything. I traced over the route I actually rode in blue. I know those trail locations are accurate... I've recorded rides on them using my phone and they're actually super accurate. The Lezyne is struggling massively though. Most of the trail is under dense tree cover. No GLONASS since I'm using the Micro.

Just did this ride half an hour ago:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 6.40.22 PM.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	1145767

The elevation also bounced around, at some points it was over 1000 feet off.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1076106948

At this point it seems like new FW might not save the device? Starting to think about getting a Garmin 520.
    Fwiw I have the micro C with glonas and have a similar issue. I only noticed an issue since the last FW update. I had a good recording yesterday after switching to 1 second recording. The elevation was off a bit though for a loop

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut View Post
    Fwiw I have the micro C with glonas and have a similar issue. I only noticed an issue since the last FW update. I had a good recording yesterday after switching to 1 second recording. The elevation was off a bit though for a loop

If that's the case, I suspect there was some change in the way the GPS processes raw data buried in that firmware update.

asollie's data looks okay out on the roads, which is interesting. I do think asollie needs to set up some privacy fences on Strava, though. Makes me think that the issue is how the GPS might be handling multipath (reflected GPS signals that the receiver picks up after they've bounced around, increasing error).

I remember early Garmins that didn't really do much for multipath and you'd get all kinds of wild erroneous points you'd have to go and delete manually before you could make any sense of your track. Then as Garmin started introducing on-device processing of the raw data with the introduction of higher-performance chips, they had speedbumps that would reduce accuracy.

Same thing with early phone gps apps. Early iterations relied on raw data from phones' gps chips and they were horrendous. Look at well-developed ones like Strava nowadays. Strava does TONS of signal processing to tease out some decent data from erratic phone hardware. But they didn't always.

Lezyne is going through similar growing pains. The real question is what they do about it going forward.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    FYI if you are tempted to upgrade the firmware to the latest (4.117, Release date 7-July-17) don't...my MicroC does not record sensor data correctly anymore, as in HR=0, Cadence average=0 Max=1 and Speed of 248.7km/h.
    Correct data seems to be showing on the screen but does not get recorded. Previous FW 4.114 worked fine with the same Garmin and Scosche sensors (all connected ANT+). Unfortunately I don't have the old installer anymore. Is there a way to force an older FW on the unit? Does anyone still have the Y10 4.114 for Windows saved? Thx
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

Land of the 230+
    I haven't tried the new one yet, so I cant comment. But maybe try rolling back, then rolling forward again just in case the upgrade got fubared somehow...

I think this is the old installer:
    https://www.lezyne.com/gpsroot/updat...10-v4-114A.exe

mtbr member
    I had a ride where the GPS became inaccurate over the course of a ride. This was 2 laps of the trail that should overlay each other. You can also see the east west path I took should be on the straight road. I switched to 1 sec recording since the last bad tracking incident but obviously it didn't resolve the issue. I emailed lezyne 3 days ago but have yet to hear back from them

mtbr member
    Yep, the "1 Second Recording" mode doesn't seem to improve the accuracy for me. Still having maybe 2/3rds of my strava segments dropped on average because of it. I'm kind of bummed that Lezyne hasn't shown up in this thread. I'd wish they'd communicate better.

mtbr member
    I've been working with Lezyne support over the past few weeks to look into this issue. They recently released a new firmware v4.123 that they believe should improve GPS performance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    cool, thats for year10 devices, last update for year 9 was in 2016. guess i can throw it under the bus

mtbr member
    just rode. same thing. they're replacing it.

mtbr member
    just rode. same thing. they're replacing it.
    Seems like I'm having the exact same problem you are. Let us know if the replacement is any better. Do you have a lot of trees where you ride? I am wondering if it would work better in less forested areas.

mtbr member
    Seems like I'm having the exact same problem you are. Let us know if the replacement is any better. Do you have a lot of trees where you ride? I am wondering if it would work better in less forested areas.
    Ya but I've been riding the same trails with the same tree cover all year. No issues until recently

mtbr member
    Very tentatively, it seems like "Updater Version: 4.123, Release date 21-July-17" may have helped my drifting issues. I've done two rides on it that both remained accurate for the duration. I'll need to do more rides with it before I declare my problem solved, but I'm hopeful.

mtbr member
    Lezyne finished looking at my defective unit and concluded that a faulty barometer was the culprit of the wacky recordings. They sent a replacement unit. turnaround was very fast.

since 4/10/2009
    Lezyne finished looking at my defective unit and concluded that a faulty barometer was the culprit of the wacky recordings. They sent a replacement unit. turnaround was very fast.
    Good to hear that you have a resolution.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I have one of the first units, a Super GPS, from Nov 2016. Never had any of the problems you describe here. Did all the updates. I can only compare with the IPhone 5S, accuracy etc. is always fine. Hundreds of rides (4000 km) since the purchase and the unit NEVER let me down. Chinese heart rate belt and works always great.
    I am in Europe, maybe the GPS is better here? No seriously, I think it's a great GPS, very reliable and incredible battery life.

mtbr member
    my replacement has worked flawless so far as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    There's some trails I ride that do not crisscross over each other but some how the GPS shows I have a few times. Other than GPS drift I also have shorted distance, sometimes over a mile compared to my phone, my dad's phone, and our fitbits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I've had fewer issues after the most recent firmware release (4.123). Only the elevation bug still exists, and maybe I'll take the time to simply request an exchange instead of being run in circles by a support tech. The drifting/missed segments and un-pairing of phone and sensors issues have not happened since the update.

One other GOOD thing I found is that the Garmin magnetless wheel sensor works perfectly with the Lezyne, and Strava honors the distance recorded.

No, I have not made good on my threat to buy a Garmin yet, as I'm saving pennies for some other bike stuff.