lawsuit against strava

Family Sues Strava For Cycling Death - BikeRadar

I've been hearing an increasingly loud voice among riders not to set strava segments on downhills for trail etiquette reasons. it looks like it is also a good idea to avoid doing so on the road.

AZ
    banned
    What a bunch of B.S. What ever happened to personal responsibility?

Endo King
    Personal responsibility is now a farce, it is not widely practiced any longer.
    "I didn't surrender. They took my horse and made him surrender..."
    -Chief Lone Watie

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    What a bunch of B.S. What ever happened to personal responsibility?
    Welcome to the land of "NOT MY FAULT." It is BS!!
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Ridiculous.

psycho cyclo addict
    Sad story but c'mon, you'd be better off suing McD's for killing you slow 'n steady or mortally wounding yourself with a $tarbuck$ Venti. I don't use Strava because I could care less if someone goes down or up a hill faster than me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well you do get an email from Strava that says the following:

"You just lost your KOM on Oaklawn to Statesville Ave. to ##### by 3 seconds.

Better get out there and show him who’s boss!

-Your friends at Strava"

You are still responsible for your own safety though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Maybe they can also sue the other rider who beat his time. And the city for not better protecting a guy gunning 10 over the speed limit and getting taken out by a car.

Seriously...like the family who tried to sue Yosemite NP when their misguided family members climbed over the railing above Vernal Falls (replete with warning signage about people dying) and were swept to their death. Maybe litigation is a form of grieving?

There's no doubt doing dangerous things is fun. I regularly do them and don't plan to stop. And should I bite the dust doing them, that's my and my family's problem. No one else's.

Cheerio,

Mike

PS:

Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I don't use Strava because I could care less if someone goes down or up a hill faster than me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I would like to see the complaint. I have never heard of Strava, but it sounds like a GPS application or something. What doesn't make sense is that the lawsuit claims no cones or personell were placed along the course. This makes me think the guy was killed during an organized event/race; and that the civil action may include a number of defendants, such as the promoter, place hosting the accident, and also this application (which could have been the promoter).

I am not defending suing the authors of this application, especially if they were not affiliated with the event. But I promoted races at one time. If a person is going to charge money to have a race or other organized event, he or she must make efforts to reasonably protect the participants (such as placing people in areas where cars may be traveling to ensure no collisions). Nobody cares usually if it is broken bone, cut or something. But when people die or become seriously injured, be prepared for some questions.

In this case, the lawyer probably is just suing everyone who was associated with the event. Not saying it's right, but there may be more to this story than meets the eye.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I should have looked a little further before I made the above reply:

Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

This article gives a little more detail. I must agree it looks thin. It was not an organized event, but an ongoing challenge organized by Strava on a website. Even if Strava had a disclaimer on the site saying in effect, "watch out!," this guy probably would have hit the car anyway.

Sad in all respects.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Maybe they can also sue the other rider who beat his time. And the city for not better protecting a guy gunning 10 over the speed limit and getting taken out by a car.

Seriously...like the family who tried to sue Yosemite NP when their misguided family members climbed over the railing above Vernal Falls (replete with warning signage about people dying) and were swept to their death. Maybe litigation is a form of grieving?

There's no doubt doing dangerous things is fun. I regularly do them and don't plan to stop. And should I bite the dust doing them, that's my and my family's problem. No one else's.

Cheerio,

Mike

PS:

How about the bicycle manufacturer for making a bike capable of going at that speed? Or the city for having roads of good enough quality?

It is stoopid.

Segments are not organized by strava. Users set them. I have set some, including a couple DH ones, and I do not think I will do that anymore. Climbs only.

Strava simply compares the gps files people upload and then ranks people according to how fast the complete the segment.

mtbr member
    Users definitely set the downhill segments. But there is also a reporting function, whereby any user feeling that a segment is unsafe can report it and get it nullified.

But yes, common sense and general road rules should apply too.

At the end of the day, it does come back to personal responsibility....

Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Users definitely set the downhill segments. But there is also a reporting function, whereby any user feeling that a segment is unsafe can report it and get it nullified.

But yes, common sense and general road rules should apply too.

At the end of the day, it does come back to personal responsibility....
    users also set climbs, AFAIK. there's one short cat 4 in my area that I had to set. there are other rated climbs that folks have been doing for awhile, and I believe they were manually set, too, because they are known challenging climbs among the area roadies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    users also set climbs, AFAIK. there's one short cat 4 in my area that I had to set. there are other rated climbs that folks have been doing for awhile, and I believe they were manually set, too, because they are known challenging climbs among the area roadies.
    Could be different in different locales then. Here (NZ), if you ride a new climb, it automatically makes a segment. You can delete it, alter it, make your own too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Could be different in different locales then. Here (NZ), if you ride a new climb, it automatically makes a segment. You can delete it, alter it, make your own too though.
    maybe it does that for bigger climbs than cat 4. but where I live, cat 4 is the biggest we've got.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Any new climb that appears in an uploaded tracklog will be automatically suggested by Strava, provided it is CAT4 or larger.

The user who uploaded the tracklog can keep or delete it.

Anything that is not a ranked climb has been completely created by users.
    Last edited by ghettocruiser; 06-21-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: correct fragmented sentence

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    Well you do get an email from Strava that says the following:

"You just lost your KOM on Oaklawn to Statesville Ave. to ##### by 3 seconds.

Better get out there and show him who’s boss!

-Your friends at Strava"

You are still responsible for your own safety though.
    That has only been a recent addition though. As in, in the last few weeks. So would not have been around when this happened.

One Gear
    So if you have a stroke on a rated climb while trying to beat the KOM, is Strava to blame for that too. WTF???

Be prepared to "accept" new terms next time you log on.

One Gear
    HA! Just got an email from Strava with new "Terms & Conditions".

The lawyers are swinging into action.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET View Post
    HA! Just got an email from Strava with new "Terms & Conditions".

The lawyers are swinging into action.
    I got that email last night.

So what is the big deal? Comparing your times to another is fun. Uphill or downhill, but where is the personal responsibility? Nobody forces you to ever ride beyond your skill level. Look I have been involved in car racing for years. Car racing is dangerious and people can die doing it. Yet it in effect is as safe or unsafe as you make it. Choice.

If you want to be KOM on segment fine. Just realize that if you ride beyond you skill level you take risk and chances. That can be on a uphill segment the same as a downhill. It is pretty easy to chase an uphill time and over do it and really hurt yourself. So what? The same could happen if you were chasing a superior rider. Heck I remember racing my car a few years ago and learned that someone wrecked the car really badly. Turns out thery were tying to match my pace in turned and failed. We had the same car so the equipment was capable, but driver was not. That person's crash was not my fault as I can't control who how fast anyone else goes.

I wil continue to use Stava to record my rides and get feel for where I stand vs others. I won't let it change my riding or force me into unreasonalbe risks or even be rude to others on the trail. I am responsible for my actions.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

trail rat
    Another frivolous lawsuit, welcome to America, the land of greed, from our politicians on down to the proletariat.

One comment / observation, the trail builder community is seeing Strava as a source of trail user conflict. Not fun when you are fixing a trail problem, and some rider skids to a halt and yells at you, "F#$% Dude, you are ruining my strava personal record". It took all my restraint to not mutilate him and his bike with the pick mattock I had in my hands.

State Parks Trails Committee relates they are getting complaints of riders yelling at hikers and equestrians for the same thing. Dim bulbs give bikes and Strava a bad name, way to shoot yourself in the foot, you self righteous bastard.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    Another frivolous lawsuit, welcome to America, the land of greed, from our politicians on down to the proletariat.

One comment / observation, the trail builder community is seeing Strava as a source of trail user conflict. Not fun when you are fixing a trail problem, and some rider skids to a halt and yells at you, "F#$% Dude, you are ruining my strava personal record". It took all my restraint to not mutilate him and his bike with the pick mattock I had in my hands.

State Parks Trails Committee relates they are getting complaints of riders yelling at hikers and equestrians for the same thing. Dim bulbs give bikes and Strava a bad name, way to shoot yourself in the foot, you self righteous bastard.

Yup, as if Cat.6 wasn't competitive enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    ...Not fun when you are fixing a trail problem, and some rider skids to a halt and yells at you, "F#$% Dude, you are ruining my strava personal record". It took all my restraint to not mutilate him and his bike with the pick mattock I had in my hands.
    It is not Stava that is the problem, but the riders. It is not right to let the pursuit of internet glory cloud your judgement in dealing with real people.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.