Thread: Knog Nerd

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Knog Nerd

Well, I think my Garmin 305 has bit the dust (was using it as my MTB computer since I have a 310xt for running) so I'm looking for wireless for my MTB. My buddy has the Cateye wireless but I came across the Knog Nerd and was wondering if anyone was using one (did'nt find any old posts on it)

Was only looking for the basic info that the Knog 5 offers, not too overly concerned about price, weight etc, just looking for something different and was throwing it out there for anyone to chime in!

Thanks!

Ross

ballbuster
    Depends on what's wrong with it, but usually they are pretty cheap to fix. There is a guy on fleabay that does a $35 flat rate fix.

Also, have you tried a hard reset of your Edge 305? Find the instructions in the support section of the Garmin site (or just google it) and do that. It might come back.

Or.... specifically what's wrong with it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have 3 Knog Nerds and I love them. I am considering getting a Garmin 510 for my road bike to add more features (power and elevation).

I have the Nerds with a few more features. I think the only feature in the 5 that I'd miss is the max speed (a fun feature but not necessary). I don't pay attention to the relative speed bar at all, so I wouldn't miss that.

I currently have Nerds on my all-mountain bike, my road bike, and my cross bike. They are all about 3 or more years old. They have been very reliable and hassle-free (compared to other electronic devices). Just this week, 2 Nerds started acting funky (not sensing speed) and I think it must be a battery issue as they are more than 3 years old and it was cold. The only other issue I had was one Nerd fogging up during a rainy 24-hour race. All have stayed afixed to the bike, which is a nice thing since a lot of friends have lost expensive computers from their mountain bike. They are simple to use. The read-outs are large enough to see, but they are not lit.

I'm going to replace the batteries on my units and if that doesn't fix them, I will buy another one for my mountain bike (even if I get a Garmin for my road bike).